Review Round 18, 2022 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

saw this commented from someone on facebook:

From 2016-2022 Ports record against top-4 sides is 5 wins - 27 losses, worst in the league in that period.

not sure if its accurate or not but sounds 100% plausible

2016: 1-9 vs top 8 opponents - the one win being against 8th placed North Melbourne.
2017: 2-7 vs top 8 opponents - the two wins being away to Sydney and away to West Coast. Lost at home to 8th placed West Coast in the elimination final, which somehow rewarded Hinkley with a 3 year contract extension.
2018: 3-6, wins at Sydney, home to Richmond and Melbourne.
2019: 2-7, wins in Perth against West Coast and top of the ladder Geelong at home. Missed finals by 1 game. This season included inexplicable losses in round 3 in Brisbane when Rozee kicked 5 goals before Port switched off in the final 10 minutes and choked, a week later round 4 vs Richmond who were missing half a team, and a home loss to GWS when Nick Haynes was Port's top target inside 50 for an entire final quarter.
2020: 5-4, some very convincing wins, but every loss that year was against a top 8 side. Culminated in an unforgiving preliminary final loss to Richmond at home.
2021: 5-5 - with a loss to the Bulldogs with an injured Bont, no fullback and playing a 50 year old Stefan Martin in a prelim final at home - not just a loss, but a thrash.

So 18 wins and 38 losses against top 8 teams since 2016, a pathetic 32% win rate.

If I were to add seasons 2013-2015 (ie Hinkleys entire tenure) to the above stat, Port have won 32 games and lost 60, mildly improving that win rate to a shade under 35%.

I can't be ****ed doing this same exercise for every other team, but I would imagine that a 35% win rate against top 8 teams would have to be near the bottom of the league in that category.

Apart from Pickett who went Harlem Globetrotter, the rest of Melb never really hit their straps all game.

At least it wasn't the embarrassing keepings off game plan like we did against them earlier this year. We tried to switch the play to open up the game, but the forward 50 entries were mostly flooded by Melb's defence and Gawn.

We're now 1-7 against the top 8 teams and 7-2 against teams outside the 8. We are the most middle of the road, no man's land team in the AFL.

Oh, it is almost reflective of Hinkley's win% ... and this is ignored by our club

Farrell is playing as the deepest forward and Todd Marshall is playing on a flank with the rest of the team told not to kick to him under any circumstances.

Our coaches are ******* cooked.
“Todd Marshall is playing on a flank with the rest of the team told not to kick to him under any circumstances.”

What?

Only we could manage to produce a brand of footy that more resembled a game played in a torrential downpour, rather then the fine conditions that greeted the players throughout.

Some of those efforts today were borderline criminal. From Bonners hilarious dropped chest mark, to Butters half arsed attempts to pressure the ball carrier, to Georgiades trying to pass himself of as AFL footballer, to Farrell waiting for a bus that never came, to Houston’s inability to stick a tackle.

We managed to set the bar at a new, glorious low standard that I’m certain we’ll surpass once more before the season is out.

We exist to be Teal coloured fruit tingles.

They fell for the surname.. watched him all through his juniors, had a nothing game then.. and lived an afl lifestyle as a junior so had no upside

What’s an AFL lifestyle? Did the Daicos family live an AFL lifestyle? The Burgoynes?

I watched him as a junior and completely disagree. He played well last week and showed his run in the midfield but he needs more games. He was terrible with the ball this week but wasn’t an orphan.

What’s an AFL lifestyle? Did the Daicos family live an AFL lifestyle? The Burgoynes?

I watched him as a junior and completely disagree. He played well last week and showed his run in the midfield but he needs more games. He was terrible with the ball this week but wasn’t an orphan.
By afl lifestyle, I meant he was coached by his old man and they had a 40 page playbook at under 15 level. He wasn’t a go out and get on the grog teenager like most of the others. He prepared like an afl/sanfl player at junior level whilst other kids didn’t and therefore had more scope for improvement.

IMO He tracked like a player that wasnt going to have an improvement spike like others in that year level. He has a skill set that is at sanfl level.

Fantasia, spent the whole year doing special comments for 5AA, he must be the best paid commentator in sports history.
We knew his body never stood up to AFL football but we took him anyway.
I’ve only heard him a couple of times, Hamish also doing it and does a great job. Mostly Timmy, Wildy and the crows supporter from the morning show which is dire.

After 10 years Jonas still marks the nippy small forward, just like Betts. After 10 years!

When you are a shit coach you get shit results. Ken would agree he’s getting what he deserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By afl lifestyle, I meant he was coached by his old man and they had a 40 page playbook at under 15 level. He wasn’t a go out and get on the grog teenager like most of the others. He prepared like an afl/sanfl player at junior level whilst other kids didn’t and therefore had more scope for improvement.

IMO He tracked like a player that wasnt going to have an improvement spike like others in that year level. He has a skill set that is at sanfl level.
My eldest son was at school at the same time with Kozzy Pickett, Will Gould, Luke Pedler etc, they played against Mead Burgoyne Lukoscious and Rankine. My younger son is now at school with the younger Bourgogne and the Montgomery boys so I understand what you mean about being coached by your old man and having people who are so invested in your career - but I reckon Mead had shown real improvement this year and while he fumbled today (as did many) I really enjoyed his game last week, I think he’s a player. One of us is going to be right - hope it’s me. 😊

How about you just come clean and tell us what Trav has done that’s got your knickers in a knot. Then you wouldn’t have to keep posting this after every game.
sorry to offend you. i dont rate boak highly because he disappears in every big game. fails to finish when it counts, eg last showdown. but still gets massive accolades.
he is not a bad player, not a good player either.
you are worshipping a false idol and that is what sickens me.

Jonas spent way too much time defending Pickett. I'm not sure who was actually playing on him but Jonas being the only player near him when he was dangerous is a major fail.
I thought that Burton was with Pickett. I think the point that none of us really knows is an issue in itself.

It is indicative of the way that we have built our defence is that their talls are too tall, and their small was too fast for our defence.

Nothing against the players they are who they are.

Is it a coincidence that Farrell played his worse game in a while when Bonner came back? I dunno what Kane's stats are with and without Bonner but i feel Bonner is getting Farrells possessions. Maybe Kane gets forced into a more high HFF role when Riley is in compared to a more traditional wing role when he is out? Maybe better minds can answer if I'm on the right track with that thought?
Farrell didn't play on the wing - he played forward - he might have rotated in, but not for long, wings were Bergman and Amon. Both Mead and Farrell were forward, got lost and hardly touched the ball. Farrell on a wing is a better player than Farrell playing as a small forward.

saw this commented from someone on facebook:

From 2016-2022 Ports record against top-4 sides is 5 wins - 27 losses, worst in the league in that period.

not sure if its accurate or not but sounds 100% plausible

I need to update the numbers, but I have the full ladder up to 2020.

I really hope someone has taken Butters aside and given him the Rozee talk. Zak’s form has unquestionably been hampered by repeated injury and illness, but he’s much better than he’s shown throughout this year. He has become a Matt Crouch type low impact, short metres gained midfielder without the quantity of possessions. His productivity across HF is also very down - few scoring attempts let alone goals. He is losing more and more ground level contests and has lost his fight and chase. Two years ago he barely ever lost any type of contest.

The other things that royally pisses me off - and this is a drum that many of us have banged for 20 odd years - is how lightweight he is. This is an issue that has haunted so many of our players.

Zak plays such a physical style of game he has to carry some muscle, get some depth in his chest and thickness in his arms and legs.

There has to be a balance. Melbourne players can run and run and are clearly bigger than our similar aged mids. So it can be done. Physically we just get worn down by bigger bodies.

Then there's Geelong but they are another category altogether.

Oh and play Sam Hayes. No we weren't outclassed in ruck today and we did well in clearances.

But our forward line is in disarray because we keep taking guys out of it who should be supporting a structure and we get killed on the intercept mark. Or we stuff around with chip kicks and handballs around the 50m arc waiting for a target to appear, then turn it over.

This is the sixth game this year we would have won with a half decent forward and ruck set up. That's on the genius coaching panel.

I could be taken down for this, but I think it’s plain wrong a current listed player doing radio commentary. Perhaps trying to make some extra bucks, if your flying up support your teams and club. Just my take on it but I don’t like it. Personally shows his intentions to footy.

The other things that royally pisses me off - and this is a drum that many of us have banged for 20 odd years - is how lightweight he is. This is an issue that has haunted so many of our players.

Zak plays such a physical style of game he has to carry some muscle, get some depth in his chest and thickness in his arms and legs.

There has to be a balance. Melbourne players can run and run and are clearly bigger than our similar aged mids. So it can be done. Physically we just get worn down by bigger bodies.

Then there's Geelong but they are another category altogether.

Oh and play Sam Hayes. No we weren't outclassed in ruck today and we did well in clearances.

But our forward line is in disarray because we keep taking guys out of it who should be supporting a structure and we get killed on the intercept mark. Or we stuff around with chip kicks and handballs around the 50m arc then turn it over.

This is the sixth game this year we would have won with a half decent forward and ruck set up. That's on the genius coaching panel.
I don’t think Butters can play midfield long term with his current size.

hes had an ordinary season but why would you choose the game to pot him where he kicked 5 lo
lol.
yes. his season has been very 'ordinary'. he is a flash in the pan and idiots seem to be completely in love with him after one great game.
it says more about your stupidity and lack of understanding of the game than his merit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2022 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back