Preview Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Heritage Bank Stadium, Saturday 15th July, 2:10PM AEST *PERIS DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the equivalent thread on the Gold Coast board, they are at full strength at the moment.

Touk and Jeffery were the only ones on their injury list going into this round and Touk played yesterday, so the only one on their injury list now may be Jeffery- who it would seem they don’t consider to be best 22.

So if we manage to beat a full-strength team, who are copping a lot of heat in the media, interstate, that will be an excellent effort.

Very surprised at the odds though, for 6th v 13th.
GC have virtually no injuries. They have essentially a full list choose from.

We don't play well there.

Last time we met they Witt's did not play.

It is not just 6th v 13th for the punters either. It is our pattern of play for a while.

Play like we did against Melb, we should win. Play half a game like we did against WC we will get rolled.

I was really impressed by how Jones just added that other level of pace and toughness to our midfield on the weekend.

Seems to be the missing cog that we have been searching for in our midfield.

Given our this dimension to our midfield, I feel alot more confident about winning this one.
Yes Jones was good it that way.

Steele actually back in form was a bigger factor, as was Marshall having the type of game we need from him.

It all combined to have us competitive in the midfield for a change. Rather than the witches hats our midfield group has largely been.

I am really hoping that Steele is back in town. If so that will help a lot.

I watched a bit of the replay of last week's game, and it is pretty obvious that players who have the ball around the midfield area, are just holding on to it too long and in the end are kicking under pressure into the forward half, as we saw with the bombing kicks. It's nothing new with us, but some of this also needs to be put down the forward line play which is very static and doesn't demand the ball from the ball carrier, and often players are out of position, hanging out the back for easy kicks, or caught watching the game- no wonder May and Sicily and similar are getting easy marks. There's no hard leading to a good position, which means no target to kick to. I think the only good leading forward we have on the list is Membrey- it's a big problem and something the coaches need to fix up.

I watched a bit of the replay of last week's game, and it is pretty obvious that players who have the ball around the midfield area, are just holding on to it too long and in the end are kicking under pressure into the forward half, as we saw with the bombing kicks. It's nothing new with us, but some of this also needs to be put down the forward line play which is very static and doesn't demand the ball from the ball carrier, and often players are out of position, hanging out the back for easy kicks, or caught watching the game- no wonder May and Sicily and similar are getting easy marks. There's no hard leading to a good position, which means no target to kick to. I think the only good leading forward we have on the list is Membrey- it's a big problem and something the coaches need to fix up.

Watch Caminiti, he's always on the move. He leads much harder and longer than Membrey. We probably need to play with a bit more structure up forward. Play some set play stuff where you make it look like you're going to one side with all your players pushing into one side and send one out the back or have a mid drift in there. Brisbane are really good at isolating forwards.

GC have virtually no injuries. They have essentially a full list choose from.

We don't play well there.

Last time we met they Witt's did not play.

It is not just 6th v 13th for the punters either. It is our pattern of play for a while.

Play like we did against Melb, we should win. Play half a game like we did against WC we will get rolled.
We have won our last 8 games against them & 3 at Metricon, these games all ways seem tight.

They won't have to. North play Hawks this week, so there is every chance that Clarko is back at the helm next week against us.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
That might work in our favour since the North players might get extra fired up against the club that knifed their coach.

But we should be beating them either way. Same with GC this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damien Hardwick has two options...take the money the challenge and ego of making GCS relevant. Or wait for Port to fail in finals (not sure that is going to happen as they are heading to the big dance) and they sack Hinkley. Will his coaching appointment be announced before trade period is what matters to us...as there will be a potential exit from GCS and even Port of players looking for a fresh start.

On Saturday Marshall just beat supposedly the best ruck combo in 30 years. He will break even at worst with Witts who is a pretty good player. Melbourne have a great structure behind the ball GCS not in the same class we should be able to pick our way through.

Where we potentially lose it is through their mid field now that Touk Miller is back, break even there and we win in a tight one. No easy wins for Saints for the rest of the season

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We'll probably never know but I can't help but wonder when dimma actually said yes, ie., just how long this pretense of the coach being safe has gone on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back