Autopsy Round 18: Adelaide Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

PHILLIPOU - I’m just glad he continued on his good form. Felt it would be crushing if he barely got a sniff. But he was good all night and that goal was a touch of class and superstar that we dearly crave.

BYRNES - I’ve always been a fan. He’ll never be a superstar but he’s a fantastic role player and you can never question him having a dip. I’d have him in my side most weeks.

CLARK - He’s got the rare ability to make time stand still when he has the ball. But does he actually do any damage? I’d love him to be more punishing with disposal. He was clean tonight though with his hands and one of our better players I thought.

SHARMAN - We looked cooked the moment the rain came and the ability to use his leading and marking disappeared. But he presented so well in that first quarter. Have to persist with him as a leading forward. Membrey sadly looks finished.

AUTOPSY

Our players
in the wet were in main poorer than the Crows were.

Our coaches went with numbers at the ball. Whereas the Crows having more on the outside worked to their advantage.

So the Crows players and Coaching were both better.

Pou a big plus.

Sharman in the first quarter was excellent, but then the supply dried up. Though he was still working and contesting including running up the ground.

Owens. Time to do a Pou and drop him to Sandy so he can run back into form.
Agree with all this but Owens - but yep getting close - maybe not much point this close to the end of the season

Selection has to come into it. We knew it was going to be wet so why pick players like Riley Bonner.
Honestly just an awful.

I don’t think I’ve ever hoped for two players to have career success like I do with Clark and Phillipou. Both showed plenty tonight.

Maybe Siposs when I first saw him kick, or Spencer White when he was coined the next Buddy Franklin.

I don’t think I’ve ever hoped for two players to have career success like I do with Clark and Phillipou. Both showed plenty tonight.

Maybe Siposs when I first saw him kick, or Spencer White when he was coined the next Buddy Franklin.
If Max finishes his career and we all think it was a success we are in for some good times.
Matteus will be fine.

Sad thing is Adelaide are still likely to finish below us looking at the rounds remaining.

Want to see some development of Owen’s frankly, do something with him coaches, he’s stalling, and I haven’t seen him play with spark in yonks.

Frankly, if Pou wasn’t showing superstar attributes, it would be pretty dire for Saints fans rn. Draft can’t come quick enough, more 19 year old guns pls. All in on the young core. IDGAF.

not much else to say tonight really. It was sopping wet. Sharman presented well. Steele was solid. Clark and Nas were composed. Tough conditions yes, but Bonner and Jones aren’t ideal players for this team. I’m trying to be polite.

In good news, all of our remaining games are at Marvel and under a ****ing roof so no more family passes to wet n wild. Just wet toast next week, and I’m feelingg a little sadistic.

The good:

- Phillipou. Something special may be building.

The bad:

- Everything else.

39 points in the wet for a team that struggles to kick 60 under a roof sounds about right.

Not overly fussed about wins TBH, I just don’t want to get blown out for the rest of the year.
Have been impressed with Byrnes last two games. Hunter has something special too. Just need it consistently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early days, will be I threshing to see where he settles. Moves like a 7 foot ruckman but hasn't shown he is a contested mark
Yeah, no aerial presence but not quick either.
Will be interesting to see how he's developed. I'm guessing plenty more laps next preseason.
Ball in hand and he's a beauty.

Loved a couple things from Pou

VFL was great for his tackling
- that goal was absolute class on grass.

The most pleasing thing is his cconfidence.

However something that didn’t pay off but told me everything was when he tried to bounce it got the stuffing knocked out of him after trying to bounce it. The confidence to try and bounce in those conditions and the will to just get back up was great.

Overall decision making will still improve. Loving it atm tho

mnnn..
Realise he helps in the ruck and is always contesting, but can't help thinking someone else could give more. Even Seb Ross would have given more tonight. Stocker? Again a couple of couldabeen moments for Mitchito, but...

Tim Membrey?
What did he do?

Sad thing is Adelaide are still likely to finish below us looking at the rounds remaining.

Want to see some development of Owen’s frankly, do something with him coaches, he’s stalling, and I haven’t seen him play with spark in yonks.

Frankly, if Pou wasn’t showing superstar attributes, it would be pretty dire for Saints fans rn. Draft can’t come quick enough, more 19 year old guns pls. All in on the young core. IDGAF.

not much else to say tonight really. It was sopping wet. Sharman presented well. Steele was solid. Clark and Nas were composed. Tough conditions yes, but Bonner and Jones aren’t ideal players for this team. I’m trying to be polite.

In good news, all of our remaining games are at Marvel and under a ****ing roof so no more family passes to wet n wild. Just wet toast next week, and I’m feelingg a little sadistic.
Owens is not a key forward, but we’re asking him to be one in respect to his role.

Another preseason will hold him in good stead. He’ll be okay, but we need to start transitioning him into a midfielder at the expense of some of our other names over the next 6 weeks

Bonner straight swap for Hill

Jones straight out for anyone; Paton, Hotton, Garcia, Hastie, Stocker

Membrey did absolutely nothing so may as well get games into Heath instead of persisting with a finished player

Owens needs a spell at VFL level, maybe reward Allison for a week even if he's crap...who cares honestly, what's there to lose if he gets 0 disposals? Sharman Allison Heath as our forwards vs Barrass and McGovern, will probably go wrong but literally no better option

Tonight made it very clear that we need to add a front half stoppage game to our game plan. Defensive transition is extremely hard to execute in the wet, and when you have the likes of Bonner Jones etc getting the ball, its impossible. Wet weather footy is all about stoppage dominance and scoring - we can dominate but we can't score so its pointless. Need to figure that out...jeez an LDU tonight would've done wonders

Focus on the draft now. Hopefully the Eagles get on a roll with their new coach and maybe overtake us? I'm dreaming. As long as we stay below Adelaide, we are almost guaranteed Sid Draper who had 27 disposals at SANFL seniors level today. Battle compo hopefully allows us to get Jagga too, but Eagles have interest. Lalor the other option. If we miss both Jagga and Draper, we split pick and take advantage of the even crop to get 2 for 1. Either way, we get 2-3 gun mids to take us forward alongside Pou (what a fking gun), Windy, Clark (much-improved tonight, 17 contested possessions!) and hopefully Dow and Owens (who looks finished as a forward. Train him as a mid and get him in ASAP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18: Adelaide Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back