Autopsy Round 18: Adelaide Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Not completely related, but I cant help but feel we are wasting Keeler by not persisting with him and a fwd/ruck
I watched a bit of the VFL game and Keeler looks like a different player to last year. He moves really well and looks classy. So it may have helped his development.

The issue is we need someone to pair with King going forward. Compare our forward line to the Dogs for example, it's chalk and cheese.

Still hoping we end up using Keeler as a forward aswell.

Owens and Lalor rotate between midfield and forward line. Also bench. Phillipou the constant midfielder. Windy, Jagga/Draper, Dow to top off the rotation

Really not seeing Dow make best 22 long term. He looks below average to me. Same with Hunter Clark. Can't see him playing AFL long term.

I'm sold on Travaglia. I know taking a HB to become a mid is the Saintest thing ever but he looks really good. Langford and Reid just keep looking good too.

Where is Lindsey go now? Looked top 10 from that match. Looked class.

Not completely related, but I cant help but feel we are wasting Keeler by not persisting with him and a fwd/ruck
I have it in my memory that we played Roo and Kozi at some point down back as well. Perhaps it's just to assist with his development and to understand how the game unfolds better.

I'm happy to hear he played well on the weekend, he was clearly done a dirty on the highlights package as he was beaten a fair few times on those.

As for forwards, between Sharman, Owens, King, maybe Caminiti/Keeler, maybe a resting Heath/Marshall, plus any potential draftee like Lalor - there will be options.

I love the reinvigorated Dougs, but if he was to leave or retire in a couple of years - I could see a future defence revolving around Hammer, Wilks, Owens and Arie with Nas and Hastie rounding out the defensive 6.

Really not seeing Dow make best 22 long term. He looks below average to me. Same with Hunter Clark. Can't see him playing AFL long term.

I'm sold on Travaglia. I know taking a HB to become a mid is the Saintest thing ever but he looks really good. Langford and Reid just keep looking good too.

To be fair to Dow, he has been hit hard by injury this year and never really had a chance to be at full fitness. Still a chance of some upside in him if he can get a good run at it.

To be fair to Dow, he has been hit hard by injury this year and never really had a chance to be at full fitness. Still a chance of some upside in him if he can get a good run at it.

Hope so, never rated him at Carlton though either. Saw him play VFL a couple of years ago and he must have had 30+ touches but I've never seen a player with worse disposal. Would have been going at 20% DE. It's tainted him ever since. He gave me anxiety watching him.

Hope so, never rated him at Carlton though either. Saw him play VFL a couple of years ago and he must have had 30+ touches but I've never seen a player with worse disposal. Would have been going at 20% DE. It's tainted him ever since. He gave me anxiety watching him.
His kicking has always been a worry for me. But if he can win the clearance and handball it to a Hill/Henry/NWM on the outside, we can hopefully minimise him ever needing to kick it.

I've been hot on Travaglia all season, seems like everyone else is catching on now. His speed, class and size is literally the perfect model for a modern day midfielder - Will Day 2.0. Lindsay had a lot of junk disposals from what I saw but still in the 10-20 range imo

Too early to judge Dow, he hasn't been able to get adequate conditioning since the pre-season knee issue. Judge him after a full pre-season when he's at full fitness. Clark had 17 contested possessions on the weekend, once he learns how to get more uncontested ball with a better fitness base, he'll come good

I've been hot on Travaglia all season, seems like everyone else is catching on now. His speed, class and size is literally the perfect model for a modern day midfielder - Will Day 2.0. Lindsay had a lot of junk disposals from what I saw but still in the 10-20 range imo

Too early to judge Dow, he hasn't been able to get adequate conditioning since the pre-season knee issue. Judge him after a full pre-season when he's at full fitness. Clark had 17 contested possessions on the weekend, once he learns how to get more uncontested ball with a better fitness base, he'll come good

Yeah, every game Travaglia plays he stands out.

Lindsay looked like his kicks were elite and opened up the field with great vision. Obviously the highlights didn't show the junk ones.

Dow I'm happy to wait and be proven wrong. Clark too. HC is so almost but can't see him getting the required extra out of himself to go from a GOP with a few negatives into a guy who is so good the negatives are irrelevant. His pace makes me want to get out and push.

On Clark, its contested ball winners we need. When there is so much congestion, the guy who can get the ball and dispose of it is important.
We have plenty of guys who can get to good positions on the outside.

On Clark, its contested ball winners we need. When there is so much congestion, the guy who can get the ball and dispose of it is important.
We have plenty of guys who can get to good positions on the outside.
I’ve always wanted Clark to succeed but his inability to spread and get easy ball is a major limitation. He rarely gets 25+. In addition he gets burnt defensively and is exposed by speed out of stoppage. Maybe he can work with better players around him.

I’ve always wanted Clark to succeed but his inability to spread and get easy ball is a major limitation. He rarely gets 25+. In addition he gets burnt defensively and is exposed by speed out of stoppage. Maybe he can work with better players around him.

If he can get 16 contested possessions most of the time, we don't need more.
May well be that the rain went to his advantage though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Clark has shown that once he builds momentu he begins to win more of the ball. The bigger issue for him is he gets his head crushed every 8 weeks or so.

Clark will never have the 1 ingredient that a good midfielder needs, speed to slow JHF 2 weeks ago left him in his wake.

Trade out for a 2nd round if we can.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Went at 42% DE of something terrible so as good as he was at getting it, we didn't get a lot of advantage from it. The Crows mids extracted it and got it to teammates in space. That could be the players ahead of them made space but Clark needs to use the ball well and make up for his deficiencies. He's valuable as long as he's able to use his good traits to their maximum.

I remember while Richo was still coaching he had a game against the Hawks where he was looking like Murphy Reid running along the boundary line and slotting goals that looked like they defied physics. We need that guy every week.

Thoughts:

• Maybe I just mute the word "Bonner". I don't think he should have been selected (Paton did enough to get his spot last week IMO), but he wasn't the reason why we lost. He comes out for Hill this week and I don't have to read about how literally everything was his fault
  • So we're a poor wet weather team (we've been so for nearly 20 years). Does it matter that much? We play 13-14 games per year indoors and finals are played in warm weather. There's 50 things I think should be a higher priority for fixing before "lets implement strategies so we can win the 1 game per season in the wet"
  • Let's not shirk around the issue that the small forwards barely possessed the ball once during the game.
  • Jack Sinclair is a dry weather footballer for sure
  • I'm very tired of Jack Steele looking so annoyed at everyone like his job is only a burden
  • Mitch Owens needs the Phillipou treatment. Just like Pou earlier in the year, there is no easy ball for Owens at the moment and he needs some

I remember while Richo was still coaching he had a game against the Hawks where he was looking like Murphy Reid running along the boundary line and slotting goals that looked like they defied physics. We need that guy every week.

ilhszsE.gif

Went at 42% DE of something terrible so as good as he was at getting it, we didn't get a lot of advantage from it. The Crows mids extracted it and got it to teammates in space. That could be the players ahead of them made space but Clark needs to use the ball well and make up for his deficiencies. He's valuable as long as he's able to use his good traits to their maximum.

Lets hope the rain had something to do with it.
Just saw Marshall had 25%
Pou was only on 50%.

Looks like the Crows were better overall.

What do you mean "we don't need more", Clark got 16 CP and our midfield still got smashed. Of course we need more. Clark is nowhere near the required level that would justify a full time spot in our next premiership midfield - one midfield draft and he's done. One Owens pre-season in the mids and he's done.

16 CP from 21D is a poor ratio, especially when the main point in him being in there is so we can leverage his ball use. If he's getting all his touches in contest and under pressure, how is he going to maximise his weapon which is his kicking? The only way to do so is get on the outside, get handball receives and accumulate marks in the corridor so he has time to execute. Must improve his fitness and a full pre-season would go a long way. Get him to go on runs with Windy/Owens/Heath - Heath's fitness has skyrocketed since doing so

What do you mean "we don't need more", Clark got 16 CP and our midfield still got smashed. Of course we need more. Clark is nowhere near the required level that would justify a full time spot in our next premiership midfield - one midfield draft and he's done. One Owens pre-season in the mids and he's done.

16 CP from 21D is a poor ratio, especially when the main point in him being in there is so we can leverage his ball use. If he's getting all his touches in contest and under pressure, how is he going to maximise his weapon which is his kicking? The only way to do so is get on the outside, get handball receives and accumulate marks in the corridor so he has time to execute. Must improve his fitness and a full pre-season would go a long way. Get him to go on runs with Windy/Owens/Heath - Heath's fitness has skyrocketed since doing so

Last i heard, someone with the stats had put up that Clark is one of the longest distance runners in a game.

Last i heard, someone with the stats had put up that Clark is one of the longest distance runners in a game.

He has an endurance tank but he's so slow it's hard to fathom and especially if he has to chase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18: Adelaide Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back