Round 18 - GWS Giants vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the GWS fix the wing of thier ground in the offseason - that patch of the wing closest to camera is terrible.

AFL really hasn't helped GWS with a few home game crowds this year, I think this is the second game that has a televised Swans game starting at the same time a Giants home game finishes? That's fine if the team builds over the next 5 years and has started to build their own fan base (I do think they're on their way), but right now I reckon there's a fair bit of crossover and that probably takes a fair few folks away from the game.

Two scoring reviews in 30 seconds........boring!
Not a good look, but I think both of them were fair enough. The umpire had been in the right spot for the kick-in and Power's effort was awful enough that it was coming back way too quickly for him to get into position, he even seemed to motion that he wasn't next to the post and couldn't confirm it had passed to his goal side shoulder.

A couple of really poor disciplined things from GWS guys lead to that Swan goal, the air swing by Hoskin-Elliot when he could have taken possession and then the over commitment when Pendlebury should have marked. You see a lot of scores coming from things like that when people get on top of GWS, I think they're things I think they can weed out over the next couple of years.

Not a good look, but I think both of them were fair enough.

Would agree but it was just taking too long to make a decision.

I am surprised by the low crowd too. I thought there would be at least more Pies supporters there, at least they can fly home tonight after the game. I really surprised by the low numbers, even if the timeslot isn't that great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would agree but it was just taking too long to make a decision.
Agreed- I think in that case the call to the two boundary umpires was probably the biggest delay, but definitely came across as a bit of a headache.
I am surprised by the low crowd too. I thought there would be at least more Pies supporters there, at least they can fly home tonight after the game. I really surprised by the low numbers, even if the timeslot isn't that great.
I really think the scheduling has probably taken another potential couple of thousand out that will be staying home to watch the Swans game live (I have to admit I'm one who has opted for that who otherwise would have gotten along to it). I think a hit for the number of Pies supporters heading up is that they're back to play the Swans in a couple of weeks and you'd assume most would rather get along to that game. The AFL probably need to look at moving the games a bit farther apart in future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 18 - GWS Giants vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back