Game Day Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw a stat. Since 2004 Geelong v Collingwood results are 18 to 15 their way but as the Geelong poster added-that must be the worst win loss ratio the Cats have against any club during that period of enormous success.
A large part of that is they choose not to play us at their home ground. Bit of a factor but they are generally good games. Both clubs have been successful in recent years.

But if things go badly it will all be about our attitude and laziness. Good players missing is the biggest problem for any footy club and when it's over an extended period it just places a toll on the players who are trying to hold it all together.
totally agree but just hope we put the chess pieces in the correct places

Because outside bursts here and there he’s not running much?

Remember that footage the meeja wheeled out against Sydney and St.Kilda where opponents were just running past him while he made no effort to chase?

Yeah that was happening again against Essendon

But regardless of whether he’s carrying something or not, I’m just saying I wish we’d try something different with the sub

I already answered the why in the post you quoted anyway
I was surprised they played him in the middle after missing so much football last week, but there’s no way someone that good won’t be on the ground.

and matchups
I think the match ups will be the obvious. I can't see how we change anything, especially with Howe out. We won't be concerned about Geelong having 2 tall forwards, we've faced that every week for the last 3 years or more. Our midfield needs to lift, it's simple

I think the match ups will be the obvious. I can't see how we change anything, especially with Howe out. We won't be concerned about Geelong having 2 tall forwards, we've faced that every week for the last 3 years or more. Our midfield needs to lift, it's simple
I’d like to see us put some work into Stewart tho
He’s a key and clubs have successfully taken away his effectiveness this year with the right matchup

He’s a key and clubs have successfully taken away his effectiveness this year with the right matchup
They've chucked him in the middle the last couple of weeks. I wonder if they'll put him back to defence seeing as we don't have a genuine tagger. If he goes back to defence, WHE is the only one I can think of that might be able to tag him

I think Stewart has been playing in the midfield for them lately. So, we need to negate him in the midfield - I think on the occasions he has been negated, it was as a defender. We will need some creativity to choke his impact from the midfield. Maybe Ned Long gets a massive challenge to attempt this task, given Ned's size and physicality.

They've chucked him in the middle the last couple of weeks. I wonder if they'll put him back to defence seeing as we don't have a genuine tagger. If he goes back to defence, WHE is the only one I can think of that might be able to tag him
I think with our outs he will go back
If they bring in reef maybe give him the job of defensive forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A large part of that is they choose not to play us at their home ground. Bit of a factor but they are generally good games. Both clubs have been successful in recent years.
I don't agree. We have played them at the G in a number of finals in that time too so we are meeting Geelong teams at their very best. I might add they played Essendon, Richmond, Carlton and Hawthorn at the G or Marvel too in that era and that hasn't helped their win loss ratio.

So given the info at hand

Out: Checkers, Howe
In: Elliott, Noble
Sub: Harrison

I really wish we’d use the sub better. Maybe even try being a pioneer in the space

De Goey is still clearly struggling. Why not use him as the sub?

Hopefully the Cats decide to use Danger as sub.

Just checked Geelong's line up last week, and note that it is overall a short forward line (Neale and Cameron the only talls, all the others being small forwards, with a few highly dangerous ones (Stengle, Myers, Close.) Hence, speed in our defence is more of an issue than height.

Because outside bursts here and there he’s not running much?

Remember that footage the meeja wheeled out against Sydney and St.Kilda where opponents were just running past him while he made no effort to chase?

Yeah that was happening again against Essendon

But regardless of whether he’s carrying something or not, I’m just saying I wish we’d try something different with the sub

I already answered the why in the post you quoted anyway

Everyone including the coaches hate the sub. What exactly are you looking for with it? Most of the time it's pot luck as to whether a sub makes an impact or not. Scott n co would be laughing hysterically if JDG was the sub on Fri night.

Downside ( :( ): Howe not playing
Upside: ( :) ): DarcyC OK to play, Elliott back; Geelong has a small forward line, so issue of height (with Howe absent) is not so urgent; speed is the critical factor and JFN is available

More upsides than downsides!

I don't think Jamie is a direct swap for Checkers, because we just don't have enough height in F50 if we go with that (only Kreugs). So I think McInnes needs to come in as a forward. Either Dean or Markov would have to make way - I am thinking Dean unfortunately, because Markov has speed.

Looking forward to AJ having another good game in the VFL so he can press his claim (along with Dan!)

I think Stewart has been playing in the midfield for them lately. So, we need to negate him in the midfield - I think on the occasions he has been negated, it was as a defender. We will need some creativity to choke his impact from the midfield. Maybe Ned Long gets a massive challenge to attempt this task, given Ned's size and physicality.

Teams have been great at not only nullifying Stewarts impact but putting plenty of ball through his man. For example Cincotta played a blinder against him a few weeks ago. There was a period of 3-4 games where he was convincingly beaten. Chris Scott said they basically had to throw him on ball as a wake up call.

WHE seems the logical matchup. Hopefully he can pull out a performance reminiscent of his game v Port earlier in the season.

Teams have been great at not only nullifying Stewarts impact but putting plenty of ball through his man. For example Cincotta played a blinder against him a few weeks ago. There was a period of 3-4 games where he was convincingly beaten. Chris Scott said they basically had to throw him on ball as a wake up call.

WHE seems the logical matchup. Hopefully he can pull out a performance reminiscent of his game v Port earlier in the season.
That is only if Stewart does play forward. I think he has been going well in the midfield.

Just checked Geelong's line up last week, and note that it is overall a short forward line (Neale and Cameron the only talls, all the others being small forwards, with a few highly dangerous ones (Stengle, Myers, Close.) Hence, speed in our defence is more of an issue than height.

Leggy, JFN and IQ need to play season best games against Stengle, Miers and Close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back