Game Day Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. No Howe,Checkers, Cox, Mcreery, Mitchell, Mcstay- a lot of pieces still missing. Quaynor has been worried by a toe injury and Markov battling a back problem.

Time will tell but these outs hurt.
Re Howe - from our website

"Jeremy Howe experienced hamstring awareness at training today.

The 34-year-old was sent for a precautionary scan and was cleared of any damage. He will be available for Friday night’s game against Geelong"

No McStay this year and no Mitchell for months - might miss them but it's not a short term "shock" this week.

Edit - looks like Howe out 👎

Last edited:

I merely posted in response to a poster saying Howe would miss
You did it with old news though.
The latest news as of yesterday is he left the track early and is likely to miss.

imagine having to deal with Mackie again
does Alex Fasolo know who he is yet lol

Will be a good game on Friday night - best of luck and no injuries to anyone thanks. No one needs that.

And the notes on Ollie Henry - he's been good when he's played but the team is at its best when our smalls are applying maximum defensive pressure and OH has not excelled there. Mannagh had 14 tackles last start... OH has 12 for the season.

Granted, as a medium forward who plays taller I can give him a bit or respite but when Rohan is same size and adds so much pressure, the yard stick is tall for OH.

Again, good luck.

GO Catters

does Alex Fasolo know who he is yet lol

Will be a good game on Friday night - best of luck and no injuries to anyone thanks. No one needs that.

And the notes on Ollie Henry - he's been good when he's played but the team is at its best when our smalls are applying maximum defensive pressure and OH has not excelled there. Mannagh had 14 tackles last start... OH has 12 for the season.

Granted, as a medium forward who plays taller I can give him a bit or respite but when Rohan is same size and adds so much pressure, the yard stick is tall for OH.

Again, good luck.
Mannagh was in the midfield/wing pushing forward yeah? Great game last week and a tackling machine.

We need to do something about Stewart. Like we let Merrett do what he wanted last Friday, l hope the coaches don't give Stewart the same freedom.
Stewart had 12 score involvements last week, playing through the midfield and then dropping back to D50. He plays a similar game this Friday night, and we lose.
We need a alternating tag, one if he starts through the midfield, which he probably will, and a defensive forward when he drops back to D50.
Maybe WHE as the defensive forward, and given IQ's form has been poor, give him a job to really focus on and that's run with Stewart whilst he goes through the midfield.....

Mannagh was in the midfield/wing pushing forward yeah? Great game last week and a tackling machine.
he kicked 6 in VFL the week before but had been there for 10 weeks working on his defensive pressure.

Seemed to pay off. VFL he was playing mostly small forward but given our AFL line up he got shuffled as you assert.

We need to do something about Stewart. Like we let Merrett do what he wanted last Friday, l hope the coaches don't give Stewart the same freedom.
Stewart had 12 score involvements last week, playing through the midfield and then dropping back to D50. He plays a similar game this Friday night, and we lose.
We need a alternating tag, one if he starts through the midfield, which he probably will, and a defensive forward when he drops back to D50.
Maybe WHE as the defensive forward, and given IQ's form has been poor, give him a job to really focus on and that's run with Stewart whilst he goes through the midfield.....
Just a question on IQ as I dont know... is he particularly strong to match Stewy?
Not suggesting he cant do but Stewart at the contest was very physical in the MF contests last week. Id have thought JDG type would be the build to go with him.

Thanks for the dialogue

he kicked 6 in VFL the week before but had been there for 10 weeks working on his defensive pressure.

Seemed to pay off. VFL he was playing mostly small forward but given our AFL line up he got shuffled as you assert.

Sounds like Joe Richards for us. Remained at VFL level for a full a season and the first 8 or so weeks of this season, and has come onto the AFL side and had a very good impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a question on IQ as I dont know... is he particularly strong to match Stewy?
Not suggesting he cant do but Stewart at the contest was very physical in the MF contests last week. Id have thought JDG type would be the build to go with him.

Thanks for the dialogue

Well IQ is a powerful unit, he just needs to take it between the teeth tomorrow and do a job. Physically he could match it, his confidence maybe down but what better way to get it back then to do a job on the opposition's arguably best player...

What about Long? Or is he more a ball getter?

What about Long? Or is he more a ball getter?

Long could be an option, he definitely is a big bodied mid, so the physical aspect wouldn't be an issue. The only concern would be experience playing against an opponent like Stewart.
Lets remember with Quaynor, he was one of the best, if not the best, one on one players last season. He just needs the confidence to get that back, and maybe this role could help him do that....

Long could be an option, he definitely is a big bodied mid, so the physical aspect wouldn't be an issue. The only concern would be experience playing against an opponent like Stewart.
Lets remember with Quaynor, he was one of the best, if not the best, one on one players last season. He just needs the confidence to get that back, and maybe this role could help him do that....
I guess I’m concerned what giving IQ that role would do to the backline, especially with Howe out, and it’s also another change in personnel in the midfield. Given the constant player changes I think I’d prefer IQ back for stability and cohesion and our midfielders do the job. We’ve made some much vaunted midfields look pretty ordinary at times this year so we can do it if we bring our best.

I think you might be over rating Stewart the midfielder a bit, I hope he plays there, as a defender he is a gun, he's not a better mid then any of our starting midfield and I don't think we will tag him after not tagging any of the gun mids all year

It's been that way in soccer for a long time where clubs actually back their system in and often use stars as the sub to get over the line, turn a match around or even put the foot to the throat
I agree with your point that the AFL often lacks innovation in areas and the attitude of this is how it’s done often prevails. I don’t think soccer is the best example though.

Most top clubs are playing close to 50 games a year and have to rest players on the bench to get through the season in various different competition.

There are also less players on the field whilst more subs on the bench so the likelihood a star will be one of those subs is far greater.

If you have 4 gun CMs or 2 gun strikers or 2 gun no 10s then you’re going to have a play a gun off the bench unless you create a specific formation around that.

Let’s remember with Quaynor, he was one of the best, if not the best, one on one players last season. He just needs the confidence to get that back, and maybe this role could help him do that....
Cincotta did a good job on Stewart.
Long has a much bigger body and combined with his excellent tank, could at least be tried.

With Checkers and Howe out play Jordy as a key forward with Reef and Kreugs. Share Jordy’s midfield minutes with the usual suspects and maybe roll Bruzzy through there occasionally

This game, given Flys confessions is really a litmus test for him and his panel.

Also, the media heat on the game style and score concession.

Last week felt like we lost by 6 goals, but had em on toast in the first.

Looks to me Fly has deliberately thrown himself under the bus to test his manager skills.

Let's see

Like every team, they make requests for the draw. They request their home game against us (if there’s 1 in the draw) be scheduled at the G. Same as Carlton and Essendon. Nothing to do with favoritism, everything to do with filling their coffers.

Just correcting this. Geelong has requested to have every home game played in Geelong since at least 2017 but the AFL has not agreed to that. We make significantly more money from a sell out at Kardinia Park than a big crowd at the MCG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back