Preview Round 19, 2024: Hawthorn v Collingwood, 20 July 2024 (Sat), 4:35pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Finn doesn’t come in we won’t tag anyone. Nash will go to someone at contests like usual but he’ll get plenty of his own footy, not just defend. I don’t want Finn in but I understand if it happens, we probably have a spot for him if Mass is out anyway.

Too much talk about negating their players when we are going head to head weekly and usually winning. I’ll back our midfield to win us the game regardless of what they do.

We just beat Freo’s midfield with Serong, Young, Jackson, Fyfe, and Brayshaw. Have some faith.

If Finn doesn’t come in we won’t tag anyone. Nash will go to someone at contests like usual but he’ll get plenty of his own footy, not just defend. I don’t want Finn in but I understand if it happens, we probably have a spot for him if Mass is out anyway.

Too much talk about negating their players when we are going head to head weekly and usually winning. I’ll back our midfield to win us the game regardless of what they do.

We just beat Freo’s midfield with Serong, Young, Jackson, Fyfe, and Brayshaw. Have some faith.
That's realistically probably a better midfield than Collingwood's, Naicos or no Naicos...

Agree. Have changed my mind on this. Nash to go with Daicos at stoppages. Play our normal game.

If Ginnivan is fit, he comes in for Mass, or Ward. If Sicily still can’t tackle, we can’t play Gunston.

My guess
In: Ginnivan, Gunston
Out: D'Ambrosio, Sicily (assuming he doesn't get up if he couldn't raise his arm to tackle last week)

Nash to cover N Daicos at stoppage but otherwise we go H2H in the midfield
Collingwood don't have a big forward line so Frost and Scrim to cover their talls
Will have to keep a close eye on their smalls (Hill, Elliott, Richards), with only Hardwick a strong lockdown player. Unfortunate Seamus is out of form.

Bruest sub

As that article mentions, his tagging record against Daicos is strong, but also his form as a mid in the VFL is worthy of a callup.

If we bring him in then he could start out in a regular non-tagging role whether it be on ball, wing or half forward, and then if Daicos finds form and starts getting off the chain then the tag can be deployed.

Can’t see Sicily missing if he can’t play back.
Playing forward he demands a decent defender to match him up which then has a flow on effect of helping to release Dear / Chol to play on 2nd / 3rd choice key backs.
I’d be starting Sicily at FF this week.

Really hope Ward keeps his spot. Happy to see Morrison dropped, probably somewhat harshly, to allow for this.

Ginnivan in and Breust to sub.

If D'Ambrosio is out then Morrison stays and starts the game.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Gunston. The Pies backline has been struggling lately.

Quaynor - Frampton - Maynard
Watson - Chol - Ginnivan

Noble - Moore - Markov
Moore - Dear - MacDonald

With WHE and Sidebottom probably rotating across the HBF for them, and with Hardwick maybe rotating forward to us (will he get the Elliot or Hill matchup?).

Surely we can get at that unit?

Can’t see Sicily missing if he can’t play back.
Playing forward he demands a decent defender to match him up which then has a flow on effect of helping to release Dear / Chol to play on 2nd / 3rd choice key backs.
I’d be starting Sicily at FF this week.
He won't. He will start back where he commands the forces for attack

Agree. Have changed my mind on this. Nash to go with Daicos at stoppages. Play our normal game.

If Ginnivan is fit, he comes in for Mass, or Ward. If Sicily still can’t tackle, we can’t play Gunston.

Nash on him inside and a half forward up to the contest to allow an extra behind the ball if they get out - like we do every week around the ground.

We should back Day, Worps, Nash, and Newc to win it. Change for the sake of it is dangerous, change for injury or insane VFL form only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Faicos is nothing more than a skilful Tom Mitchell.. Where was he when the contest was on in the 4th qtr vs Cats?

Bont is the best player in the comp, I'd even have Cripps ahead of Faicos

A non-skillful Tom Mitchell was one of the best players in the league at his peak. A skillful Tom Mitchell is what? GAJ?

He's a third year wing who was asked to carry a team through clearance work which he'd never done at the top level. And he excelled at it almost straight away. All of a sudden he went from a link guy to hitting stoppages at pace, breaking away and kicking game defining goals. He's struggled more recently BECAUSE teams are close-checking him and tagging him, keeping him to less effective games which still stuff the stat sheet.

Finn or no Finn, he'll be tagged. Maybe by up to 3 players depending on the game phase, but there will be none of this fanciful head-to-head stuff being suggested.

The amount of rubbish being thrown at Naicos lol

Like get real he is easily a top 5 mid in the game when his on. Just doesn't have the consistency as a Bont/Neale type yet

We still need a plan to curtail his influence
Totally agree, and it's proven that he can't handle attention unlike some of the other premo midfielders.

100% agree if you leave Faicos do his own thing he will carve you up and I highly doubt our coaching group will allow this.

We can afford to lose Mass for the week. We lose little with Morrison as the replacement. Maybe Ward or Mackenzie for for Finn, if we are playing a hard tag on Diacos. Breust back to sub. Start Sicily back and see how it plays out for him. If no good send him forward again.

For anyone hoping to park in the MCG carpark on the weekend it's not going to happen. Just received an email saying due to forecasted prolonged wet weather the carpark is closed to everyone.

I'd like Weddle to have first crack at the Daicos tag. He's got the tank and speed to go with him...
Too important as a KPP to have him running after a player 4 inches shorter than him. There’s a few others in the sides I’d rather see sacrifice a bit of their game than Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back