Preview Round 19, 2024: Hawthorn v Collingwood, 20 July 2024 (Sat), 4:35pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad a lot of people on here now are starting to notice Frenchie is not as dominent and influential as alot of people on here make him out to be. I'm a massive fan of him by the way and I feel he is going to be an unbelievable player for us for many years to come.
But I've paying really close attention to his last 6 or 7 games and he constantly turns it over and kicks it to contests where we are out numbered and it comes straight back.

Spots are so tight, he could definately do with a bit of a spell in the 2's just to clean up his decion making. He needs to start hitting a better option.
I feel Morisson is a better decision maker with ball in hand and he's playing for his career, but obviously frenchie has a much higher ceiling.

Last edited:

I'm glad a lot of people on here now are starting to call out Frenchie. I'm a massive fan of him by the way and I feel he is going to be an unbelievable player for us for many years to come.
But I've paying really close attention to his last 6 or 7 games and he constantly turns it over and kicks it to contests where we are out numbered and it comes straight back.

Spots are so tight, he could definately do with a bit of a spell in the 2's just to clean up his decion making. He needs to start hitting a better option.
I feel Morisson is a better decision maker with ball in hand and he's playing for his career, but obviously frenchie has a much higher ceiling.
He needs to play through the decision making issues. And it's better he does that at AFL level than at Box Hill, particularly given he's played all of 31 games.

I agree his decision making has been poor in certain situations however the fundamentals of his game are still solid. He's running to the right positions and getting involved. If the fundamentals were lacking (like Ward) then Box Hill would be an option.

This is shaping up to be a cracking game.

From our side, I don't think we should go into a game intent on playing Sicily up fwd if he is injured.. it was a great move on the weekend as a spontaneous plan B, but i hope we only play him this weekend if his shoulder has continued to improve across the week.

There has been a lot of commentary about Darcy Moore of late, so it'll be interesting to see who he lines up on and the impact he has - I'm kinda expecting him to stand up and play well. That aside, if we come to play with the right intent, we should win this one.

No need for changes unless Sicily or Massimo don't get up, with Gunners and maybe Finn to come in if needed.

Sicily is one of, if not the, best defenders in the competition - was a great move forward on the weekend but he is either unfit or he starts back for mine.

The dockers have a very good intercept marking defence with Cox, Ryan and Draper down there so we needed that extra tall to occupy them (with Gunners/Lewis missing). The pies don't present the same risk with their injuries, only really Moore to worry about.

Gunners back in to occupy Moore (like he did with Andrews) with Ginni hopefully fit again. Agree with others that pending Mass' fitness, Ward, Morrison and Frenchie in the gun

Heading over to this one. Will be a bit of tough one as it’s the annual footy trip I have done with my mate that passed away a couple of months ago. His wife is a Collingwood supporter and she wanted to keep the tradition going. Tipping it will be an emotional roller coaster, so hope it’s a great game.

Hope Ginni is back and Sic & Mass are right to go.

As much as I’d enjoy seeing Finn come in and destroy N Daicos again, not sure who would make way. Frenchy maybe a weeks rest? He worked so hard yesterday and found space but was ignored for other options quite a bit in the first half.
Hope it’s a great day. Enjoy

Really hope Ginnivan gets up, he’ll agitate their supporter base and suck in the most plastic tough guy in the competition Maynard. It’ll be feral at the G if he and Watson get going.

Not sure Finn comes in, I back Nash to physically intimidate Daicos, the kid hates body contact.

They look decimated physically and emotionally, list isn’t in all that great of shape either, we could really drive the knife in here and end it all for them.

Side note, was the Ginnivan deal for a second round pick swap if I recall? So in theory if we finish higher, which is likely, we get the player and better pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam would want to make certain Sicily is 100% right to go.

You can bet your house on the fact that some flog like Maynard will hammer into that shoulder within seconds of the opening bounce - esp if Sicily starts forward.

I hope Frosty and Hardwick are ready to fly the flag as our skipper is in for some unfair treatment I'd day.

The Pies have rebranded themselves as these cheerful happy underdogs under McFly, but check out how many career or year-ending injuries they've inflicted on their opposition over the past 12 months.

Brayshaw (Maynard) is the obvious one, but you also have Petracca (Moore) and Witts (Moore again). There's probably others I've missed.

If Sic is going to play, he needs to have confidence in that shoulder because it will get tested.

I can’t wait. We have our ‘finals’ game every week for the rest of the year provided we win most of the games.

It’s bloody brilliant - thanks to Sam, his team and this group of players.

With having a kind of elimination final each week for the young players, it’s great for there development that pressure of if you lose it’s over, and the need to perform.

Hawks by 19
Send Nash to Daicos, bloke is scared of his own shadow and hates the tough stuff

I don’t mind putting time in to Daicos, but Nash would only be good contest the ball as once it’s out he wouldn’t keep up.

The narrative of Daicos being soft is just wrong, he’s winning a heap of contested footy every week.

Either Finn plays or we back our midfield to beat theirs head to head, which seems more likely.

I don’t mind putting time in to Daicos, but Nash would only be good contest the ball as once it’s out he wouldn’t keep up.

The narrative of Daicos being soft is just wrong, he’s winning a heap of contested footy every week.

Either Finn plays or we back our midfield to beat theirs head to head, which seems more likely.
I’m not gonna say Daicos is as soft as others but the contested ball thing is skewed, pretty sure free kicks count as a contested possession like they do clearance. Could be wrong but he isn’t a contested bull

Do you think I’m going to be able to rock up a bit before first bounce, flash my membership card and get in? Even if I have to sit in the nosebleeds?

I’m not gonna say Daicos is as soft as others but the contested ball thing is skewed, pretty sure free kicks count as a contested possession like they do clearance. Could be wrong but he isn’t a contested bull
Doesn’t fly at the ball like some of our guys (newcombe, nash watson) do.

With having a kind of elimination final each week for the young players, it’s great for there development that pressure of if you lose it’s over, and the need to perform.
It's not only great fun for us fans (for the first time in half a decade) but amazing learning for the young group basically playing finals before finals. Hopefully we keep going.

What made the Freo win so good is that the group didn't meet the standard against Geelong and were outmuscled and outworked by a seasoned finals side. The following week it was an absolute tackle fest against Freo. Met the physical standard required, hung in and got the win. Rapid learning, which has been a feature this year, similar to how well the group responded after the Port debacle.

This weekend however is the biggest game of the lot and really our biggest game in years as it really is effectively an elimination final against the reigning premier and biggest club in the comp and should be in front of 80,000. The Pies are decimated but expect them to come out firing as their season and premiership defence is also on the line. They have plenty of players who know how to meet finals standards so i'm expecting a tough game despite their injury list.

I'd play Finn. I think Daicos is too good not to hard tag, especially with the Pies fielding a weakened side. Shut him down and we should win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back