Round 19 Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

- the problem is also the gap between peel and the rest of the wafl.
Surely it doesn't matter if Peel is significantly worse then the other WAFL clubs, are players still get to test themselves against the rest of a very strong WAFL competition. The only problem i see with the Peel realignment is that players are being forced to play out of position due to the large number of talls backed up on the list.

Surely it doesn't matter if Peel is significantly worse then the other WAFL clubs, are players still get to test themselves against the rest of a very strong WAFL competition. The only problem i see with the Peel realignment is that players are being forced to play out of position due to the large number of talls backed up on the list.

That's part of the problem sure, but for me it's also a matter of culture.

Peel consistently under performs and you can't just put it down to individual players, or the coach - although they do have more influence than other individuals.

Ross brought more than a winning game plan to Freo, he brought with him an emphasis on creating a winning culture. This was present at the club in nascent form before he arrived, he just augmented what was there and took it to another level.

IMO Peel have gotten used to losing and expect to lose, just as Hawthorn and Geelong became used to winning and started expecting to climb into a winning position no matter what the odds.

Fremantle for my mind is somewhere between the two: they have a winning culture, but the memories of the bad times are still there and under pressure old bad habits can creep back. Freo has all but stamped out their old complacency, with only the occasional lapse like SAturday or the GF. Peel OTOH, are knee deep in complacency still and it rubs off on all parts of the playing group that are exposed to it.

The Freo players who play for peel the most get used to losing - it's habit forming and bad for the psyche, you start to expect less from yourself and start to forget what you're really capable of. Peel and Freo were linked to help peel improve - to lift them up. I fear the opposite may happen, with Peel's lackluster approach to performance and improvement dragging Freo's second stringer players down to their level.

Clarke has been very poor for over six weeks.

He simply isn't delivering what we all know he can - he just isn't aggressive or attacking enough currently. A dropping might just give him the wake up call he needs to work out if he is going to attack the contest hard or not.

At present, Ape and Hannath both show more than Zac.

Agreed - this is something many posters aren't bold enough to state. He's incredibly athletic but the level of softness he's displaying at the moment is what contributed to us losing the 2012 semi-final against Adelaide (instead of fielding Lord Bradley). I'd much rather see Mammoth get a run or even invest in Griffin (he will improve greatly in the long-term).

What, because I dare to suggest that the might that is Zaarke should be dropped??

I don't appreciate the insults about "turps" or "brain function", either, tough guy.

People are allowed to have an opinion on here, and I can't recall ever meeting you at a game over here during the years from 1998 to 2009 - and hence I wonder if you ever realised how bad East Coast games can be for Dockers fans??

I'm with you.

It's mainly his lack of aggression and impact in forward that ultimately cost us. Some other teams in the AFL use a back-up ruckman whose primary job is to provide forward pressure. How many times has Clarke played on a defender as big as him where they've had to fight for the ball and the defender manages not only to get to it first but have ample time and space to kick to an uncontested player? I was watching him against Adelaide (away) last year; not only did he ruck all game but he tackled just about every defender on him or at least applied enough pressure for his opponent to rush bomb it out of the 50 (only for it to make it's way back in again).

Gumbleton is done. He'll be delisted at the end of the year. If you think Taberner runs straight lines Gumbleton is in another ball park. Very little lateral movement. He's barely dominating WAFL. Its not the kids fault, he's just been wrecked by injury. Rewind 8 years, remove his injuries and he'd be dominating the AFL now.

Out: Sylvia, Tabs, Lmac, Clarke, Gu
In: Ballas, Walters (hopefully)/Croz, Silvagni, Sandi, Hill

I haven't seen the game and don't intend to watch it

Gumbleton is done. He'll be delisted at the end of the year. If you think Taberner runs straight lines Gumbleton is in another ball park. Very little lateral movement. He's barely dominating WAFL. Its not the kids fault, he's just been wrecked by injury. Rewind 8 years, remove his injuries and he'd be dominating the AFL now.

So... two more terrible drafting decisions to add to our Blooper reel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gloves are off. I understand the sentiment being with Morabito, but he dissapointed me yesterday. He has been waiting for this chance and I expected desperation of a high level. The likes of Deboer and Silvagni always display that hard edge and if fit I think they should be in. Even clancy pearce is a physical type and i would consider recalling him. In - Sandilands, Ballantyne, Hill, Ibbotson or clancy pearce, Silvagni, Out - Morabito (Hill), Silvia (Ballantyne), Griffen (Sandilands), Taberner(Ibbostson or clancy pearce) ,Mcpharlin if unfit( Silvagni).
I don't know the Walters situation but if he could be fit by bye week and gets throught match simulation, I would consider him for the sub role but not for Deboer!

Last edited:
Going by WAFL stats, the only guys that would have a chance at coming in would be Crozier and Sheridan. Apeness and Gumbleton were quiet by the look of things.

Nah, Morabito isn't fit enough. We were loose in the midfield because Mora and Griff couldn't cover the space and men spreading into their part of the zone.
4 disposals for a game isn't a good read. Of GU is OK which it sounds like he will be Mora might get another run for Peel

Morabito, griffin, Sylvia

Sandilands, Hill, Ballantyne

Maybe taberner for Apeness. Time to just field our best team and prepare for finals. Looks like our best team is almost identical to last year.

Haven't seen the game? Then why are you commenting on ins and outs? Derp
Stats, highlights, other peoples opinions, talking to people who watched it, previous weeks form, injured players who are returning, news articles, listened to the whole game on the radio.

Calm down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 19 Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back