• Yes

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So Melty. Umpires aside we still got smashed.

Considering our very young midfield (and Wines) - it’s ok. Shows where we are at.

We have changed the game plan, kind of similar to Collingwoods, and we just aren’t used to playing the high pressure game, run and carry, surging forward. Give it another half a season and we will be right.

In saying that, we won’t win the flag this year. If everything goes amazingly well, no injuries and a bit of luck - maybe we can sneak a top 4.

Won’t win 3 finals though.

So, really it should be a development year, and the club should be realistic about that. Playing finals though in a way does help development, but I think it’s time to drop a few of the older players.

Jonas, and Lycett really aren’t going anywhere. Boaky if getting a game needs to be a tagger, or doing a job - (say on Daicos). Out of anyone as a leader in the side, this bloke is the voice you want around to help the young fellas.

Players like Jones need a defined role so they can learn at HB. And Georgiades must play, both development for retainment, or increased trade value. If his goal kicking is struggling, play him further up the ground.

Even more insane is that Ken the comparative length of Hinkley's tenure on that list. He is only behind Fos and Mark and, at the end of the season, will be equal to Jack in the length of any single appointment.
But Hinkley has been very successful

apparently

It's obviously not very nice watching your team lose by 71. I was flipping out up until midway through the 3rd quarter, until I remembered a loss is for the greater good.

I'd like to beat Adelaide, because I never want to lose to those ****s. But after that really, each loss is a game closer to fresh ideas.

An insane stat is Port Adelaide have had 7 senior coaches since 1950.

Fos Williams (1950-1958, 1962-1973)
Geof Motley (1959-1961)
John Cahill (1974-1982, 1988-1998 with the last 2 years being when we entered the AFL)
Russell Ebert (1983-1987)
Mark Williams (1999-2010)
Matthew Primus (2010-2012)
Ken Hinkley (2013-Present)
Technicality. Stephen Williams for half of ‘96.

Lachie was just a bad match up for Daicos who is a star. He was too quick in thought and foot speed. Plus as a forward does he concentrate on what his opponent is doing or creating goal scoring opportunities? He shouldn't be having to make those critical decisions. Tbh our best option for Daicos was McEntee who is hard as a cat's head, disciplined, has some quickness and would focus solely on stopping Daicos.

This whole Lachie as forward experiment is madness. In his draft year as a 17 year old he shut down every type of go to forward in the sanfl. Small quicks, tall forwards and anyone in between.

Play him in defence and let him settle in a position. Yes he will make mistakes and cost goals, but guess what? He's a kid with a handful of games experience trying to get his body right for AFL football. You can't scream about gold passes for senior players and demand the kids be played but then get rid of the kids if they don't play like 100 gamers from the outset.

We're not going to win anything this year, so give him some experience.

We lost contested possession by -57 and free kicks 15-34 (-19) - real contested possession -38

These were the contested possession + free kick stats for the following blowout:

R2, 2022 v Hawthorn - won contested possession by +9 (lost by 64) - free kicks 15-17 (-2) - real contested possession +7
R4, 2022 v Melbourne - lost contested possession by -24 (lost by 32) - free kicks 21-24 (-3) - real contested possession -21
R10, 2022 v Geelong - lost contested possession by -29 (lost by 35) - free kicks 20-24 (-4) - real contested possession -25
R21, 2022 v Richmond - lost contested possession by -31 (lost by 38) - free kicks 19-20 (-1) - real contested possession -30

R3, 2021 v West Coast - lost contested possession by -17 (lost by 37) - free kicks 16-21 (-5) - real contested possession -12
R7, 2021 v Brisbane - lost contested possession by -21 (lost by 49) - free kicks 18-22 (-4) - real contested possession -17
R17, 2021 v Melbourne - lost contested possession by -14 (lost by 31) - free kicks 19-18 (+1) - real contested possession -15
PF, 2021 v Western Bulldogs - lost contested possession by -30 (lost by 71) - free kicks 22-16 (+6) - real contested possession -36

R7, 2019 v Collingwood - lost contested possession by -25 (lost by 39) - free kicks 11-12 (-1) - real contested possession -24

R10, 2019 v Hawthorn - won contested possession by +8 (lost by 31) - free kicks 27-18 (+9) - real contested possession -1
R17, 2019 v Brisbane - won contested possession by +2 (lost by 48) - free kicks 33-19 (+14) - real contested possession -12
R18, 2019 v Richmond - lost contested possessions by -21 (lost by 38) - free kicks 21-19 (+2) - real contested possession -23
R22, 2019 v North Melbourne - lost contested possessions by -51 (lost by 86) - free kicks 17-22 (-5) - real contested possession -46

Every year we will put in one completely shit performance and a couple of pretty bad ones.

Watching this game felt like the worst game I'd seen us play in the Hinkley era, but then it made me think of all those other times we'd been belted because we just collectively gave up.

What a legacy old mate is leaving for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet another coach killing performance.

But good teams don't sack coaches during the season. Or make decisions before August apparently 🙄

I was at the game live and we started well. As most have mentioned the Pies got handed their first few goals. The disappointing thing is after being at last weeks game where the umps did everything they could to screw us, I think it broke our players mentally.

Hinkley even mentioned the umpiring at the start of the half last week so their is no doubt the players wouldve been chatting about it at HT and after the game last week.

When it started all over again this week (even worse than last week in my eyes) they looked dejected and you could visibly see the effort drop. They need to be better mentally no doubt and this is not condoning the way they played but we seriously should be sending in a ‘Please Explain’ to the AFL. Use vision from last 2 weeks where we have been absolutely shafted with numerous horrendous calls against us and also not paid for us.

The other factor is i do not think our players realised how shit the MCG turf is at the moment. Sitting at the game it looked like they were playing on the back 9 at the Patawalonga short course. Divits everywhere from the boots and it was clearly quite slippery under foot. Not only did our players slip over 10x as much as the pies, we were incredibly fumbly around the contest and dropped a ton of easy marks. I’d be suprised if the surface recovers in time by seasons end

Lachie was just a bad match up for Daicos who is a star. He was too quick in thought and foot speed. Plus as a forward does he concentrate on what his opponent is doing or creating goal scoring opportunities? He shouldn't be having to make those critical decisions. Tbh our best option for Daicos was McEntee who is hard as a cat's head, disciplined, has some quickness and would focus solely on stopping Daicos.

This whole Lachie as forward experiment is madness. In his draft year as a 17 year old he shut down every type of go to forward in the sanfl. Small quicks, tall forwards and anyone in between.

Play him in defence and let him settle in a position. Yes he will make mistakes and cost goals, but guess what? He's a kid with a handful of games experience trying to get his body right for AFL football. You can't scream about gold passes for senior players and demand the kids be played but then get rid of the kids if they don't play like 100 gamers from the outset.

The problem is that the player he is best suited to replace is our captain. So, it’s not gonna happen this season

He’s far too fumbly in defence for mine. At this point its a surprise when he one touches a loose ball. He has great traits and athleticism but i wouldn’t be opposed to him finding some confidence at the lower level for a couple weeks.

The coach is obviously smart and respected,
Um...
lucious lyon wtf GIF

An insane stat is Port Adelaide have had 7 senior coaches since 1950.

Fos Williams (1950-1958, 1962-1973)
Geof Motley (1959-1961)
John Cahill (1974-1982, 1988-1998 with the last 2 years being when we entered the AFL)
Russell Ebert (1983-1987)
Mark Williams (1999-2010)
Matthew Primus (2010-2012)
Ken Hinkley (2013-Present)

‘You don’t want to be one of those clubs that changes coaches every 5 minutes like North, do ya?!’

— Old Facebook Saying​

Last edited:
I was not saying that Collingwood aren't a good team. They clearly are. Maybe even the best in it.

But the pro Hinkley mafia will use that as a reason to tick off on there being nothing wrong with that performance yesterday, as though everyone will lose to Collingwood by 71 points. Don't worry, Hinkley is still amazing, Port are still amazing. We aren't, we're terrible and he's terrible.

100%. You just know the suits and the pro-Hinkley Mafia are dying to hide behind the ‘we/they were rock’n’rolled by the very best’ (Steve Johnson blatantly set this table before the Brisbane game).

Man for man there’s not a 10-12 goal talent discrepancy between those two sides. Not even close.

Getting rock’n’rolled by honest pros like Mihocek, Cameron and McStay reminded me of getting nuclear steamrolled by Walker, Jenkins and Lynch in 2017.

It’s absolutely laughable how we insist on refusing to acknowledge where the real gap is.

You blokes need to get rid of Kochie as we did with Ed.
Replace Hinkley with someone like Adam Yze or Blake Caracella. Both have held high apprentiships like McRae and both considered huge football brains.

Out with the deadwood and don't bring in recycled deadwood.
I would have been rapt with either Yze or Caracella and happy we got McRae.
Club needs to get serious because as Pies proved it's possible.

Respect and good luck

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2, 2023 vs Collingwood

Back