• Yes

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And funnily enough Hinkley sold him up the river by abandoning the structure that allowed him to flourish last week.
How many times do we have to watch the same man make the same mistake over and over?
Cut him some slack mate, he's still having learnings.

It was a combination of Collingwood being very good and us being really ******* bad in terms of effort. But there's a reason for that.

I will tell you the very moment where the team lost any hope of winning the game. Q1, 7:46 to go. Port is streaming out of defence - Wines handballs to Rozee who handballs to Butters who executes a long handpasss to Rioli. Rioli then handpasses to Jones.

This is what Jones should have done...either a kick or handpass to a wide open Powell-Pepper:

View attachment 1640402

This is what he did do:

View attachment 1640407

This holding the ball resulted in a goal and turned a 12 point deficit into an 18 point deficit when we had an opportunity to reduce the margin to 6 points...based on nothing but Jones' stupidity.

By the by, I found another glaring example of s**t umpiring...and this one is definitive. Note the position of the umpire:

View attachment 1640418
View attachment 1640417

View attachment 1640414

Yep, that's Jordan De Goey, running past the ball and leaving the ground to collect Bergman head high with his shoulder.

But play on. No report, not even a free. Not even a peep from the commentators. Why? Because it's Collingwood, and because they play Richmond next week. The AFL will sweep this under the rug.

We were down by 24 points at this point of the game. It was at this moment that every player in our team knew that the umpires wouldn't look after them in the contest and Collingwood knew they were free to do whatever the * they wanted and they would never be penalised with a free kick.

After I saw this, I didn't give a * about this game or the result.
I remember that hit on Bergman.
The umpiring was disgraceful.

Hinkley played down the expectation of Horne Francis and said he will have down games. Mcrae talked up Nick Daicos and said if he was an opposition coach he would tag Daicos.

Look what happened, JHF had a down game and Daicos was best on ground.

Ken Hinkley promotes a losing environment and our mindset is not with a a winning mentality. We have a loser mentality as if we are just happy to be competing with the best AFL teams. Mcraes mindset is about winning and with that mentality they will definitely win a flag before we do.

Being humble doesn't win you flags, it makes you happy to be runners up. Hinkley played a whole career at Geelong coming runners up and not winning flags. Hinkley is happy to finish second.

I don't think he is a bad person, he is probably too nice to his opposition. Hes a nice guy and nice guys do not win flags. I am happy to be proven wrong but we have been having similar results for 10 years

On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app
U wont be proven wrong. Spot on assessment of Ken except he's just happy to scrape into the 8, finishing second is beyond his aspirations.

U wont be proven wrong. Spot on assessment of Ken except he's just happy to scrape into the 8, finishing second is beyond his aspirations.

Second?

Oh My God Wow GIF by TV One

That Lachie Jones play was completely horrific. It didn't cost us the game but it did solidify in my mind that Jones just lacks the basic skills and instincts to be an AFL player.

Some guys have it and others don't. Compare that to watching Phillipou play for the Saints. Built like a string bean and has barely played any football yet still can pick up the ball cleanly and execute under pressure.

Jones has played enough at this point that he should be able to do basic football actions reliably. Every game he plays he looks like straight off the plane Daniel Flynn FFS. A convert from another sport.
Yeh unfortunately he just can't play the game

That Lachie Jones play was completely horrific. It didn't cost us the game but it did solidify in my mind that Jones just lacks the basic skills and instincts to be an AFL player.

Some guys have it and others don't. Compare that to watching Phillipou play for the Saints. Built like a string bean and has barely played any football yet still can pick up the ball cleanly and execute under pressure.

Jones has played enough at this point that he should be able to do basic football actions reliably. Every game he plays he looks like straight off the plane Daniel Flynn FFS. A convert from another sport.
Jones won't make it. I don't know how long he's contracted for, but I hope he doesn't get another one.

We were absolutely embarrassing but it helps when one side is +19 for free kicks and gets 6 or 7 goals directly from the umpires.
155 to 98 contested possession.
15 to 4 contested marks.
39 to 27 clearances.
56 to 39 tackles! How does a side that’s been smashed by 12 goals have less tackles?

30 scoring shots from 57 i50s for the Pies. Trust me, the umpires/umpiring decisions are the least of your worries.

Don’t turn into one of those supporters. You sound like a WCE fan

He cares enough to watch the game and to post here. He wants to believe that.

What makes him numb is the way we played. We all have been there. It’s a way of dealing with pain.

Probably irrelevant in the end but watching as a neutral, man the umpires were hell bent on pinging port players in every contest in the first half even when it was humanly impossible to dispose off the ball.
It went both ways mate. 3 times in the first qtr we got pinged for holding the ball with zero opportunity to get rid of it.

At this point?
View attachment 1640385

Fair enough - couldn't see it cause Horne-Francis' head is in the way.

My issue is NEVER with a particular call. I want to know about consistency.

I want to know about calls and no-calls. Were they similar to both sides?

Nobody answers that.

Burton, 2 weeks.
The MRO assessed an incident between Jordan DeGoey and Miles Bergman during the first quarter. It was assessed that the Collingwood player had no other reasonable option in the circumstances and was contesting for the football. Miles Bergman was careless in his positioning and should have taken action to avoid the impact when he saw DeGoey coming towards him. We look forward to seeing DeGoey light it up at the G next week against old rivals Richmond, in what looms as a blockbuster clash.

Accept Season 4 GIF by Billions

Jones won't make it. I don't know how long he's contracted for, but I hope he doesn't get another one.

I would like to see him under other coaches, tbh.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one time anyone spoke some blunt truths after a characteristic Hinkley Horror performance was Tredrea after the 2021 preliminary final.

What did the Club do? Tried to silence him and even went to the point of phoning him and asking him to desist.

What this shows is that poor performance is tolerated while those willing to speak honestly about it are not.

May I post in your forum?

Umps do not like Port, no doubt, they had a shocker. They get on an emotional roll and you get no justice. Happened to us last week when Geelong got in front early, then when we got on a run it was all out way. You didn't seem to get a run from them with your hot opening or even when Hinkley turned the tide in the third.

Bad umpiring rarely turns a game, maybe once a season a series of shockers leads to a one goal loss that should have been a win. This was a really bad one, maybe 4 goals worth. Subtract 3-5 goals for abysmal umpiring and its still a solid loss.

We used to play a harder game under Malthouse, cost us a lot of frees but our opponents looked over their shoulders and it served well in finals when the whistles mostly go away.

I dunno what to say about Port, maybe its true the list is lacking spark. The coach is obviously smart and respected, set up tactical wins for your players in terms of upsetting our gameplan. The third was a complete headlock you guys won, but somehow leaked two goals and only kicked three.

Youve kept Hinkley and resisted trigger sacking him, I respect that. Loyalty means you keep guys "too long" and we do it too, Bucks was well past date and Malthouse won our last flag two years after pretty much everyone wrote him off. Same with players, we have had heartache trading Grundy even though the contract was absurd because supporters and coaches are loyal to the players we have.

Better have some losses from being too loyal than be Carlton and shed blood every time there's a bad season. Essendon just threw their baby out with the bathwater, Rutten had made solid progress (with understandable volatility) and some board member **** the bed because Clarckson was 3% available.

I hope you get back on track this season, fake marketing fights about jumpers aside most Pies want Port to do well.

It went both ways mate. 3 times in the first qtr we got pinged for holding the ball with zero opportunity to get rid of it.
Not sure your mob got too many bad htb calls, but I have seen a number of decisions in other games so far this season where the umps appeared to have thrown prior opportunity out of the window.

The above aside your blokes were too good, we were crapola and the umps had nothing to do with the result.

Youve kept Hinkley and resisted trigger sacking him, I respect that. Loyalty means you keep guys "too long" and we do it too.
An insane stat is Port Adelaide have had 7 senior coaches since 1950.

Fos Williams (1950-1958, 1962-1973)
Geof Motley (1959-1961)
John Cahill (1974-1982, 1988-1998 with the last 2 years being when we entered the AFL)
Russell Ebert (1983-1987)
Mark Williams (1999-2010)
Matthew Primus (2010-2012)
Ken Hinkley (2013-Present)

Geof Motley (1959-1961)
John Cahill (1974-1982, 1988-1998 with the last 2 years being when we entered the AFL)

Even more insane is that Ken the comparative length of Hinkley's tenure on that list. He is only behind Fos and Mark and, at the end of the season, will be equal to Jack in the length of any single appointment.

Geof Motley (1959-1961)
Amazing to think the late, great Russell, who got us into a GF and blooded the youngsters, was given less than half the tenure of Kern.

Bewildering.

I dunno what to say about Port, maybe its true the list is lacking spark. The coach is obviously smart and respected, set up tactical wins for your players in terms of upsetting our gameplan. The third was a complete headlock you guys won, but somehow leaked two goals and only kicked three.
We lost by 70.

We are going in to his 11th season without even a grand final appearance. What causes these sorts of comments? He is the least successful coach in VFL/AFL history by the metrics that matter, grand finals and flags, we haven't won a knockout final since 2014, and he has underperformed expectations in at a minimum 6 of the last 8 years in the role (I can understand neutrals giving him a passmark for 2020 and 2021, though I personally don't).

I do have to admit I agreed with most of the rest of your post. Also for what its worth I've probably got your lot as favourites now (from thinking a couple of weeks ago you might slide down towards the bottom of the 8 with blokes like Sidebottom and Pendles going off a cliff).

Playing Boak, Lycett, Jonas is completely pointless. Dixon is still necessary for structure until hopefully Scully comes along.Actea and short snap shot
Don't want to burst your bubble, but the same tackle from a different angle:
View attachment 1640333

Thanks for that, they didn’t show that angle first up and I thought he was called harshly

The Dan Houston HTB in the 1st Quarter requires a full explanation from the AFL Umpiring Department.
If that constitutes HTB then our game has changed.
As many have expressed on this Forum it doesnt change the result but it was very early and it seemed to spook a few of our players to be afraid to take on the tackle. Speaking of which I am hoping Josh Carr can explain to JHF he doesnt need to fend off every tackler, as under the new rules he is going to get pinged everytime. 6 Frees against is testament to these over zealous Umpires. Sometimes you just have to the Tackle and the ensuing stop play.
Having said that, with Carr we have the perfect person to guide him through.
Went to the game and was really impressed with Collingwood and what a game style. It is even more electric watching them live and with 60,000+ there it was an experience. We were poor for most of the game, but at times we did have our chances and look a little bit dangerous. Dixon and Drew were our best by a long way. Charlie might be about to have another 2020 season with some luck.
This week is going to tell us alot about this year, if we lose the rumblings are going to get very loud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2, 2023 vs Collingwood

Back