• Yes

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is exactly the shit we'll have to deal with, with JHF all year. Every single game and effort will be highlighted.

There will be no context applied and no fair evaluation of his age and role within our midfield group.

Just need to filter out the noise and pointless commentary.

"Guy who had 3 touches with 97% TOG explains why his teammates need to work harder!"
again, why do we have to say this shit in public

do we ever read about what geelong are going to do each week, or richmond? no they just turn up and do it, they dont talk about it they do

Dont talk just ****ing do it

This is exactly the s**t we'll have to deal with, with JHF all year. Every single game and effort will be highlighted.

There will be no context applied and no fair evaluation of his age and role within our midfield group.

Just need to filter out the noise and pointless commentary.
be nice to hear the coach come out and support him as well

This week wont tell us anything, we know we can get up for showdowns, against an ordinary side. We know we can beat middle of the road sides.

the coll8ngwood game told us what we needed to know, nothings changed in 10 years, we cant live up to expectation. We aren’t a top 8 side, we aren’t even close. As soon as the pressure was applied, the expectation rose we shat the bed again.

which game was the outlier.. was it the Brisbane game? i think so, I just think the group isn’t good enough and mentally strong enough. as a supporter it’s embarrassing to have your club talking itself up for a big game and then give up after a 15 minute effort.

I dont get how at board level this could be accepted, at any level. I don’t get how this isn’t agenda item number 1.

I think Hinkley's papers are stamped. We're just going thru' the motions.

which game was the outlier.. was it the Brisbane game? i think so, I just think the group isn’t good enough and mentally strong enough. as a supporter it’s embarrassing to have your club talking itself up for a big game and then give up after a 15 minute effort.
Undoubtedly.

The Brisbane game was a massive out of the box performance.

The problem is, it was also just one good quarter. We were getting smacked prior to that, despite our dominance in standard Hinkleyball style. One good quarter masked a heck of a lot.

We've seen heaps of performances like the Collingwood game over time. Particularly the Geelong away and Melb home games last year. The '21 Dogs PF and Lions away. The '20 loss in Qld to Geelong. These losses are a common theme.

Last edited:
Undoubtedly.

The problem is, it was also just one good quarter. We were getting smacked prior to that, despite our dominance in standard Hinkleyball style. One good quarter masked a heck of a lot.
And yet still the hopeless optimist in me thinks that maybe the good 2nd half against Brisbane is our new winning attacking game plan and that the other 6 quarters were just teething pains of adjusting to a more attacking style (and getting opened up).

In reality though, even if it was a new plan, Ken has probably already binned it as "too risky".

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And yet still the hopeless optimist in me thinks that maybe the good 2nd half against Brisbane is our new winning attacking game plan and that the other 6 quarters were just teething pains of adjusting to a more attacking style (and getting opened up).

In reality though, even if it was a new plan, Ken has probably already binned it as "too risky".

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's the standard getting our hopes up stuff. I was on the fence prior to round 2 as to whether we were improving, but by half time last week the reality had become obvious. The most negative outlook after round 1 was most likely the reality. Brisbane didn't show up, we got lucky with one good quarter and our other issues definitely still remain.

The other huge issue remains that all our preseason and the Brisbane games were played on our terms, as soon as the game was played on another teams terms we were destroyed.

Have been pushing hard for Yze for a while, the problem is he was reluctant to leave Melbourne , however he would be the smart strategic type coach ( with strong skills focus) that we all crave. Anyways the time for change is approaching, enjoy your ride why ya flying high.

No he wasn’t.

He applied for the GWS job.

we have a mentally weak playing group

You all follow Port way longer than I do. For me, this has always been an issue. I’ve posted about it plenty of times.

I cannot believe Tredrea has only realized it now. Has he said this before?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun fact

Jonas will only get slower.
It was obvious last season that Jonas was nearing the end of his career - has been an amazing player for us, but the time was right to hand over the captaincy.

By extending his captaincy for another season, we now have a defender who may not deserve his spot in the team every week.

Having said all of that - let's not forget that we were missing both Clurey and McKenzie - which means Jonas was not in his preferred position either, so we shouldn't go too hard on him.

This week wont tell us anything, we know we can get up for showdowns, against an ordinary side. We know we can beat middle of the road sides.

the coll8ngwood game told us what we needed to know, nothings changed in 10 years, we cant live up to expectation. We aren’t a top 8 side, we aren’t even close. As soon as the pressure was applied, the expectation rose we shat the bed again.

I dont get how at board level this could be accepted, at any level. I don’t get how this isn’t agenda item number 1.
Yes by the end of Round 5 I think we will know alot more about where we are at.
If we are 1 and 4 it will be the No1 agenda item on the board and everywhere else that follows the AFL.

Undoubtedly.

We've seen heaps of performances like the Collingwood game over time. Particularly the Geelong away and Melb home games last year. The '21 Dogs PF and Lions away. The '20 loss in Qld to Geelong. These losses are a common theme.
yep and I reckon we have some bad ones to come.

Win the showdown and no doubt we will be up and about and our obnoxious coaches will be puffing their chests and then off we go to Sydney to get mauled again

hawthorn were horrible against Sydney yet we only lost by 10 points more, how has 71 point smashing gone under the radar, Hinkley must be sitting back giggling

It was obvious last season that Jonas was nearing the end of his career - has been an amazing player for us, but the time was right to hand over the captaincy.

By extending his captaincy for another season, we now have a defender who may not deserve his spot in the team every week.

Having said all of that - let's not forget that we were missing both Clurey and McKenzie - which means Jonas was not in his preferred position either, so we shouldn't go too hard on him.
Clurey was available for selection. So did the genius coach throw his captain under the bus by not selecting another key position defender?

Undoubtedly.

I usually agree with most of what you post but it is unfair to call the Brisbane game one good quarter. We dominated the first quarter and but for a 9-3 free kick count to Brisbane, we would have led by 5-6 goals at quarter time.

Second quarter, Brisbane definitely on top, but again on the back of a lopsided umpiring count.

We smashed them in the third quarter and kicked 5 goals to one in the last - put them to the sword which we so often fail to do. We won 3 of the 4 quarters and we did play aggressive attacking footy.

But as is so often the case, we completely failed to back it up the next week in game that tested our mettle. Poor selection, poor attitude, application and discipline. A hallmark of Hinkley's reign.

It was as dismal a performance as the Bulldogs game. And it is all too common.

I think Hinkley's papers are stamped. We're just going thru' the motions.

james franco christmas GIF by Saturday Night Live

I've been saying similar about the senior players for a while now. I get attacked for it on other forums but there's two constants in this era, Hinkley who rightfully cops it from the fans & the senior players who lay the egg they did on Saturday often in big games. No point naming the games they've failed in, we know the games but they always escape criticism and it truly boggles my mind.

Nothing I've seen this year has changed my opinion that our next flag tilt happens with a new coach, and when JHF, Rozee, Butters and co are the senior players.
100% agree the lack of on field leadership is frightening. Successful clubs have great leaders Voss Hodge Selwood they would lift a team by their actions and the rest would follow.
We had to appoint co captains we were that bereft of leaders at the club after Boak stood down. Byrne-Jones is part of our leadership group for god sake.

Back