Autopsy Round 2: Richmond vs Collingwood - Changes for Adelaide

Vote for your top 5 players

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd is another turd floating on top of the pro toilets. Lazy campaigner and there's a reason why these guys get delisted from other clubs and end up on Flair's list
Give him his last pay and just play short and Rioli . I'm sick of lazy one trick ponies whose poor habits rub off onto the rest of the team. Standards need to raised and set.
Rubbish, lazy maybe but no good? You can fix that. He kicks goals, so if he is as bad as you say, then his opponents must be truly rubbish.

You constantly complain about us being a poor kicking side...

No, I don't actually.

I've complained that Hardwick said he wanted to build a side with no bad ball users, but this far in I suspect most of us would agree that he's still a long way from finding 22 players who fit that mould, let alone 7-8 more for solid depth before we're down to green kids.

...we're consistently one of the highest disposal efficiency teams in the league.

Because we consistently kick short, slow and sideways.

So if being one of the highest efficiency teams isn't good enough it can only be assumed that 100% efficiency is going to be good enough for you.

On the contrary, I don't advocate striving for high possession, high 'efficiency' style game plans at all, they're not robust enough to stand up in all situations - inclement weather and fierce opposition pressure to name two. Kicking efficiency is largely irrelevant to me.

For all the science and analysis in football today, it's still a simple game.

A game plan and list based around the simple concept of winning contests eventually gives the side as a whole the confidence to fully back their skills and instincts, evolve as players and reach their true potential. Ordinary kicks become good enough kicks when they kick the footy with confidence that the bloke receiving will at least make a contest. The best sides of the coming years will be the ones who create and win more contests, move the ball quickly with intent to score heavily, encourage flair and taking the game on, and merely play accountable enough football going the other way (which feeds right back into winning contests).

So what would be "good enough" for me, is if Hardwick taught that game plan. He pretty much teaches the opposite.

Rubbish, lazy maybe but no good? You can fix that. He kicks goals, so if he is as bad as you say, then his opponents must be truly rubbish.
I'm looking forward to how he goes this week. Just going on a perception of Lloyd since he's been with us I would say he's not consistent from one game to the next. Puts in a blinder and then little the next. He then gets dropped or on the vest. Would like to see if he's matured enough to do well each week. The guy has the strut and talk but action is what counts.

No, I don't actually.

I've complained that Hardwick said he wanted to build a side with no bad ball users, but this far in I suspect most of us would agree that he's still a long way from finding 22 players who fit that mould, let alone 7-8 more for solid depth before we're down to green kids.

On the contrary, I don't advocate striving for high possession, high 'efficiency' style game plans at all, they're not robust enough to stand up in all situations - inclement weather and fierce opposition pressure to name two. Kicking efficiency is largely irrelevant to me.

A game plan and list based around the simple concept of winning contests eventually gives the side as a whole the confidence to fully back their skills and instincts, evolve as players and reach their true potential. Ordinary kicks become good enough kicks when they kick the footy with confidence that the bloke receiving will at least make a contest. The best sides of the coming years will be the ones who create and win more contests, move the ball quickly with intent to score heavily, encourage flair and taking the game on, and merely play accountable enough football going the other way (which feeds right back into winning contests).

So what would be "good enough" for me, is if Hardwick taught that game plan. He pretty much teaches the opposite.
Unfortunately we look more dangerous when we don't have the footy bc at least we can't **** it up:)

No, I don't actually.

Fair points Ray. Got a feeling that we're attempting to move towards the way you suggest, hence the inclusion of guys like Menadue C.Ellis Rioli Short in the line up and the removal of guys Chaplin Batchelor Morris. As I've said previously the inclusion of Deledio Yarran Edwards along with young kids like those above will see us start to play like you suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I don't actually.

Precisely. Him and Francis Jackson's "can't kick can't play" mantra went out the door years ago.

Forget about Cotchin's captaincy, this and that. Quality decision makers in our Football Department is still our number one problem.

I'm looking forward to how he goes this week. Just going on a perception of Lloyd since he's been with us I would say he's not consistent from one game to the next. Puts in a blinder and then little the next. He then gets dropped or on the vest. Would like to see if he's matured enough to do well each week. The guy has the strut and talk but action is what counts.
Sure but I would say averaging 1.5 goals a game is actually doing the counting for small fwds.

they at least didnt miss the bleeding obvious and by my reckoning last week was not suppose to happen so its all hands that can be put on deck on deck because we lose this we start to look like the titanic.

I have one problem though and its if you are gunna drop players do it properly FFS and dont name them as emergencies. Banish them to the 2s with a stamped file instead of a glimmer of hope!! Sends them a message

Agree. Lloyd has played very few games where he hasn't contributed, even if it tends to come in bursts. I love the look of our forward line this week.

Fair points Ray. Got a feeling that we're attempting to move towards the way you suggest, hence the inclusion of guys like Menadue C.Ellis Rioli Short in the line up and the removal of guys Chaplin Batchelor Morris. As I've said previously the inclusion of Deledio Yarran Edwards along with young kids like those above will see us start to play like you suggest.

It's very much a case of 'way too little too late' for me, RT, but I do appreciate that you 'fly the flag' until the last breath of wind has passed - and I respect you for that 100%. Any other coaching tenure and I'd probably be right beside you as I was in the past.

Football formula in terms of game plan, list and team building is pretty simple, but Hardwick has constantly claimed - and coached like - he has something different and better up his sleeve.

Simple football formula runs something like this...

Step 1: Get the right kind of mature bodies on board years 1-3 to take you towards year 10.

Step 2: Respect the engine room that worked then build upon it and never stop building on it, because nothing is more important.

Don't play Nason and Nahas and Thomson and Hislop and the bloke down the road's scrawny horse they forgot to take to the pet food factory - appreciate and respect the immense contribution to winning the pill that Shane Tuck was for many seasons before you arrived and build around it. Don't massively cut short the career of players like Tuck and Jackson through gross mismanagement and sheer neglect, don't slowly 'replace' them with men not fit to lick their boots, who have learned nothing about being a full season midfield warrior and - saddest of all - have nobody left to learn from.

Step 3: Be grateful that you inherited a bloke who was born with a Coleman hanging around his neck and use him where he belongs - deep forward. The 'thinking' needs to be done before the last kick into the forward-50 and that's where you sit back and watch 1-on-1 magic happen if you get the rest right. It shouldn't involve fantasies of Jack 'slimming down' and roaming everywhere from the HBF to the wing - when he's not playing forward line decoy so all the other 'damaging forwards' we've developed can 'punish the opposition.'

Hardwick inherited the guts of a great team, he hasn't managed well enough, added enough that mattered or taught well enough, and in the end, we'll all say that he's outright neglected the parts which really matter.

It's great we have Ellis, Menadue and Rioli and maybe Yarran will someday hit the park and maybe he'll feel like playing football for a few weeks, if it suits him.

They'll all outlast Hardwick and I hope with all my heart that building a core of ball-winning warriors to properly compliment these kinds of players will be the new coach's first priority.

It's very much a case of 'way too little too late' for me, RT, but I do appreciate that you 'fly the flag' until the last breath of wind has passed - and I respect you for that 100%. Any other coaching tenure and I'd probably be right beside you as I was in the past.

Football formula in terms of game plan, list and team building is pretty simple, but Hardwick has constantly claimed - and coached like - he has something different and better up his sleeve.

Simple football formula runs something like this...

Step 1: Get the right kind of mature bodies on board years 1-3 to take you towards year 10.

Step 2: Respect the engine room that worked then build upon it and never stop building on it, because nothing is more important.

Don't play Nason and Nahas and Thomson and Hislop and the bloke down the road's scrawny horse they forgot to take to the pet food factory - appreciate and respect the immense contribution to winning the pill that Shane Tuck was for many seasons before you arrived and build around it. Don't massively cut short the career of players like Tuck and Jackson through gross mismanagement and sheer neglect, don't slowly 'replace' them with men not fit to lick their boots, who have learned nothing about being a full season midfield warrior and - saddest of all - have nobody left to learn from.

Step 3: Be grateful that you inherited a bloke who was born with a Coleman hanging around his neck and use him where he belongs - deep forward. The 'thinking' needs to be done before the last kick into the forward-50 and that's where you sit back and watch 1-on-1 magic happen if you get the rest right. It shouldn't involve fantasies of Jack 'slimming down' and roaming everywhere from the HBF to the wing - when he's not playing forward line decoy so all the other 'damaging forwards' we've developed can 'punish the opposition.'

Hardwick inherited the guts of a great team, he hasn't managed well enough, added enough that mattered or taught well enough, and in the end, we'll all say that he's outright neglected the parts which really matter.

It's great we have Ellis, Menadue and Rioli and maybe Yarran will someday hit the park and maybe he'll feel like playing football for a few weeks, if it suits him.

They'll all outlast Hardwick and I hope with all my heart that building a core of ball-winning warriors to properly compliment these kinds of players will be the new coach's first priority.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Dea is shocking.

What is this recent uprising of Dea lovers? Barely a VFL player.

(and yes, I know the response will be 'b-but Hunt and Morris aren't either', shuffling deck chairs if we had Dea)
Dea is shit.
How is he clearly better?
He didn't play many afl games so we can't compare apples with apples.
If he can't get a afl game he is clearly shit
Do either of you watch games other than Richmond's, or even pay attention to them?
Dea has been one of Essendon's best players in the opening 3 rounds, he is showing us up and he would be a much better option than a few players still on our list.

R1 vs GCS - 6 kicks 9 handballs 15 disposals 87% efficiency 4 contested 5 marks 5 tackles 61 CD points
R2 vs MEL - 12 kicks 6 handballs 18 disposals 79% efficiency 9 contested 4 marks 2 tackles 87 CD points
R3 vs PTA - 10 kicks 10 handballs 20 disposals 80% efficiency 7 contested 4 marks 4 tackles 95 CD points

He's improving each week so far at a club that's not performing very well. He'd offer us a hell of a lot more than Broad, Hunt & Morris just for starters.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2: Richmond vs Collingwood - Changes for Adelaide

Back