Autopsy Round 20, 2022: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

If those two hit their ceilings then it will be nuts. Very different players but both look like potential guns. If they were top ten picks I think the media would be frothing over them.

If we ended up with two A grade mids in one draft that could lead to a premiership. Long way to go but they are both so exciting.

Nasiah has gone ok too...

I reckon they are still in that huge potential zone without putting it all together yet. The commentators started to take notice of Owens on Saturday and Windhager has got some praise for his game last week. Being academy kids, hopefully that gives them a bit of a development boost that will see them come on a lot faster. The pace they are going they should push guys like Clark and Coff to work harder to hold a spot which would be great for the list. Competition for spots makes everyone work harder.

In that last quarter, our half forward and midfield defensive game disappeared after doing well for three quarters- not close enough to make contests or put pressure on the Hawks ball carriers. Either Ratts told the guys to pull back, or too many Saints ran out of steam, and that wouldn't be a good sign if we're hoping to play finals.

Very hard to think of a game this year (or last) where we have played 4 quarters. We nearly always give the other team a chance whether we are playing Geelong or West Coast.

If they make the finals from here it will be a massive effort - given Richmond's win and draw we likely have to win all three. Might have been a slight chance with our best 22 but we are currently missing 5 or 6 from that group. Funny sort of year. The wash up will suggest we are competitive at our best but really I think many of the questions we all had at the start of the year have been unanswered - Can Clark and Coff take the next step? Can Gresham be an A grade mid? What are the options post Ryder? Who fills our second KPD possie? Is there any other option than kick it to King? Where do we find some midfield pace and X factor?

Very hard to think of a game this year (or last) where we have played 4 quarters. We nearly always give the other team a chance whether we are playing Geelong or West Coast.

If they make the finals from here it will be a massive effort - given Richmond's win and draw we likely have to win all three. Might have been a slight chance with our best 22 but we are currently missing 5 or 6 from that group. Funny sort of year. The wash up will suggest we are competitive at our best but really I think many of the questions we all had at the start of the year have been unanswered - Can Clark and Coff take the next step? Can Gresham be an A grade mid? What are the options post Ryder? Who fills our second KPD possie? Is there any other option than kick it to King? Where do we find some midfield pace and X factor?

I think we only need 2 but it looks like that will take a pretty huge effort from how we are playing. We are just going and coming up against 3 top 8 sides.

I think we only need 2 but it looks like that will take a pretty huge effort from how we are playing. We are just going and coming up against 3 top 8 sides.

Pretty likely that Richmond beats Port, Hawthorn and Essendon? I think that means we have to win all 3. Although Carlton could lose all 3 which would mean winning 2 gets us in.

We need to treat these games as finals.

Best case: we sneak into the 8.

At worst it might give them an idea of what a 3-4 week finals campaign takes against contenders.

Tigers could easily win all 3 of theirs, as could the Dogs who have a harder draw than the Tigers, but way easier than our 3 games.

Blues a chance to drop out...but again their % is better than ours.

Pretty likely that Richmond beats Port, Hawthorn and Essendon? I think that means we have to win all 3. Although Carlton could lose all 3 which would mean winning 2 gets us in.

Richmond are a very ordinary side. They aren't the Richmond of three years ago. Port and Essendon could both trouble them. I prefer that we weren't relying on others but it's not over yet.

No he hasn’t re-signed, he is a huge risk of going home after 2 years

Do you know if we've even put a contract in front of him?

I'd say its not unusual for a first year player to play less than 22. ( Nas has played 15 so far ).
I'd think that most first year player don't re-sign during their first season.

I'd say its not unusual for a first year player to play less than 22. ( Nas has played 15 so far ).

A lot rush an extension on.

Most good 1st year players sign an extension in their 1st year

Most good 1st year players sign an extension in their 1st year

I think being from interstate he'll be pining for home but hopefully once he spends some time at the club and gets settled he'll sign on. Most do. It's still pretty rare for kids to up and leave after their first contract ends. Everyone said that GC wouldn't keep any of their kids. They have been pretty good at bringing them round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 wins in a row... can't complain with that.

Having Hannebery finally in the side shows everyone exactly what we are been lacking. Polish, skill and leadership.

Sharman has been a revelation down back.

In the 8 again, didn't expect to see that again.

Last 3 tough games, I expect us to give it a real dip.

The scoreboard pressure comments, like, yeh, but they also had 1.5 at halftime. If theyd kicked straight before then it would have been a similar scoreline than if we had. They had 7 more inside 50s by the end of them game so its not like we smashed them all over the place.

Honestly it was just a real average game of footy all round, we were better no doubt but we should be better than them.

Thoughts:

• I thought they worked really hard for three quarters, didn't get the reward because of poor finishing, then ran out of petrol tickets as the luck of the match turned.
  • Is Sharman the best natural spoiler of the ball I've ever seen? Could have marked a couple of times instead of punching IMO
  • Owens gonna be good next season
  • Again, kudos to Dan Butler who has continued to look more like he did in 2020. Goals didn't come Saturday but he tackled and hunted.
  • A very good performance from Mason Wood. Extra points for screaming at King for not giving him the ball, then hitting King up 20 seconds later like a good team man.
  • Fair output from Marshall there! It'll be interesting to see how we approach the ruck next week. Ceglar is a homeless man's Marshall as a ruckman and Blicavs is a very tough matchup. Perhaps have Wood follow him everywhere?
  • King is literally 2% away from tearing it all up. Eventually we will have to stop saying that. Eventually he will have to stop moving the ball in his hands.
  • Hanners deserved all of that.

The scoreboard pressure comments, like, yeh, but they also had 1.5 at halftime. If theyd kicked straight before then it would have been a similar scoreline than if we had. They had 7 more inside 50s by the end of them game so its not like we smashed them all over the place.

Honestly it was just a real average game of footy all round, we were better no doubt but we should be better than them.
It was an absolute stinker.

They probably should have played the Benny Hill Show theme at the end of the game as a tribute to both teams.

Max Kings interview after the game:
He knows he has room for improvement and is still trying to learn.
That’s fantastic to hear from a kid who is 4th in league goalkicking and heading for our teams highest individual tally in a decade.

For the record:
Milney 2012. 56
Roo 2013. 50
Bruce 2015. 50

Max 2022. 46 and counting.

They probably should have played the Benny Hill Show theme at the end of the game as a tribute to both teams.
I used the phrase keystone cops about 30 times. Me and a good saints man in the pocket were laughing our asses off on multiple occasions.

Thoughts:

• Eventually he will have to stop moving the ball in his hands
We need to be allowed to like/love posts this good multiple times.

Meantime NAS doesn’t seem to be getting a look in after playing many games earlier. Is there something odd about this? Or just team balance?
Hasnt re-signed yet either. 🤔
Don't think he needs to re-sign does he? He's not out of contract. Fitness is his issue, will be better with another full pre-season.

I commented to a friend at the game that it was a cripple fight, but we were fortunate enough to have our money on the right cripple......

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2022: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back