Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives +
  • First half was good.
  • Still in contention for a top 3 pick and a priority pick.
  • Reid was a beast today. Got a lot of the ball while getting tagged. No protection from the umpires when we were not allowed to breathe on Rowell.
  • Yeo willed us and was probably our best player. Showed great leadership at times such as holding Reid back.
  • One of Kelly's better games.
  • Waterman made the most of his chances and worked hard.
  • J.Williams showing maturity and will be part of the team's future. Showed game smarts and was competitive.
  • Barrass solid as always.
  • H.Edwards doing a great job. Took intercept marks and spoiled well despite Freo's dominance.
  • Ginbey great down back. Provided some drive and physical presence in D50.
  • Ryan showed some class and polish. Kicked two goals.
Meh =
= Hutch, was ok and tried.
= Maric didn't get enough of it despite playing on the wing. But made the most of his disposals.
= Allen quiet although the team got smashed in the second half.
= B.Williams was serviceable but got smashed by Darcy and Jackson and by the second half, the team was on the backfoot in clearances.
= Petch good when he has the ball but lacks class when using it.
= Cole tried.
= Hough was quiet. Not sure who was he on.
= L.Edwards wasn't bad although his lack of pace is showing.

Negatives -
  • Smashed in the second half.
  • Culley just too slow at AFL level. Freo exploited his lack of pace by having him matched up against Serong which as a result contributed to our third term smashing. I have a feeling he won't make it.
  • Rotham was woeful. Not really a good ball user plus panics in defence. Get Gov back ASAP.
  • Darcy and Jackson took advantage of Bailey getting gassed in the ruck which allowed them to give Freo first use and they exploited us in clearances.
  • Reid not getting enough protection from the umpires. He can be too hot headed at times.
  • Getting exposed on the transition like throughout the year.

Final thoughts.
I have a feeling Freo played badly in the first half rather than us being good. If Freo play like that against a better team then they'll be punished.

Edit: Cuzz09 beat me to it.

Happy with that game.

The youth played all well.

• Jack Williams is proving to be a star. He just has such a smart IQ
  • A very mature performance by Harley Reid. This was not flash in the pan Reid. This was a game he worked and worked and worked. He obtained the top 2 AFL tracker a couple of games ago where he covered most distance and that culminated to his game today. A 29 possession game for a first year player as an inside mid. Stand tall and proud Harley Reid!!
  • Jai Culley won't make it. He's not quick enough or defensively sound because he's not quick enough to be a centre square mid.
  • Hutch has high IQ as well
  • Harry Edwards solid game

We are building alot of high IQ footy players. Only issue is what if they all don't touch the ball.

Easy to be down after that second half but Freo are a good team with a lot on the line - they eventually switched and we couldn't keep up. Respectable effort if disappointing in the end.

Harley seemed to really get back on track - probably his most mature, consistent game. He seems to love taking it to Freo.
There were some good signs from a few others, especially Jack Williams and Harry Edwards.
Ginbey and to some extent Maric seem to be building into their new positions even if they were up against it a bit.
Cole had his best game in a while.
Yeo and Kelly played well.
Waterman doing his thing again.

On the negative side
Cripps is really struggling and while Darling keeps fighting he is just not up to having a real impact. Not a heap of options but would be keen to see Dewar get another go or A Reid get a debut.
Disappointing for Trew, hope he can get back for a few more games.

Last edited:
Another game where watching Tim Kelly annoyed me.

You look at the stat sheet and it screams good game, and yet he has once again been frustrating. I really don't know what it is about him that always gives the impression he's done **** all?

Perhaps it's hard ball he doesn't get, which is quite different from normal contested possessions. Bit like Daicos.

I feel like Kelly skates on the back of Yeo and Reid doing all the heavy lifting... Which is totally fine, IF you're actually damaging with the ball. Which he isn't.

He should be getting off the chain. He isn't tagged, all the attention is on Reid. Yeo is a bull and really can't do much more... Which leaves Kelly. The AA superstar Brownlow runner up we paid a the king's ransom for.

It's probably not fair, but it's just initial thoughts. Cripps being an absolute potato and Darling clearly needing to retire, are the other 2 initial thoughts.

Another game where watching Tim Kelly annoyed me.

You look at the stat sheet and it screams good game, and yet he has once again been frustrating. I really don't know what it is about him that always gives the impression he's done **** all?

I feel like he skates on the back of Yeo and Reid doing the heavy lifting... Which is totally fine, IF you're actually damaging with the ball. Which he isn't.

He should be getting off the chain. He isn't tagged, all the attention is on Reid. Yeo is a bull and really can't do much more... Which leaves Kelly. The AA superstar Brownlow runner up we paid a the king's ransom for.

It's probably not fair, but it's just initial thoughts. Cripps being an absolute potato and Darling clearly needing to retire, are the other 2 initial thoughts.

Kelly's been such a disappointment since coming over tbh. Paid out the ass the get him coming off finishing second in the Brownload that year and has had like one decent season. He definitely should be getting off the chain more if the oppo team is gonna focus on our god damn 19 year old...it's annoying to say the very least.

• A very mature performance by Harley Reid. This was not flash in the pan Reid. This was a game he worked and worked and worked. He obtained the top 2 AFL tracker a couple of games ago where he covered most distance and that culminated to his game today. A 29 possession game for a first year player as an inside mid. Stand tall and proud Harley Reid!!

Yeah nah. A mature performance doesn’t need Yeo babysitting him to keep him on track.

He played well but mature is not the word I’d use.

He’s made it easy to be exploited.

Harley Reid flying the flag physically in the third as we fell away as a 19 year old despite all the attention is club legend territory. The umpires treatment of him makes me hate and fear for the direction of game yet again.

Unfortunately, all the young 'cut above the rest' players in the game have to go through this. I remember in Judd first couple years he was whacking blokes off the ball when they scragging him. I remember Cousins getting assaulted by Jose Romero and Liberatore every time we played the Bulldogs...Hopefully it lights a fire under him to improve his fitness base over the off season so smash in harder for longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall I thought that wasn't too bad. The third quarter was our worst by far and ruined the game as far as our chances of winning were concerned.

Harley Reid
29 touches, 4 tackles, 6 inside 50s and 4 intercept possessions. I thought he was good, but he can be better still. 5 frees against, although 2 or 3 of these are line ball calls with massive umpiring inconsistencies wherever Reid is concerned. Really seams to be the one who drives the team during our scoring phases of the game. The umpires need to grow up and adjudicate his involvement properly because they're embarrassing themselves atm.

Bailey Williams
Thought it was one of his better games especially considering the opposition. 32 hitouts, 3 clearances, 3 tackles but it was the 5 marks and the 8 intercept possessions that stood out to me. I don't think he's the long term solution but this game showed a different side to him going behind the play and impacting in defence.

Elliot Yeo
Won himself 4 frees for, probably should have been more with the amount of times players were hanging off him. 7 tackles and 6 clearances from only 68% TOG so it appears he wasn't fully fit just yet but he impacted when he was on the ground. Some long balls of his left a bit to be desired but overall a very good game from him. Absolute beast at times.

Tom Cole
26 touches, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 5 intercepts but it was the stuff like the one on one defensive wins, the smothers and the pushing others off the line of the ball that stood out. Felt like he won all of his one on one contests, maybe one or two kicks with a bit too much on it but was a massive game from him and the tackles were not easy tackles, they were stopping people coming full tilt at him.

Jack Petruccelle
Fair argument to give him some midfield time, not that I expect much but there are signs when he goes hard at the ball and keeps his feet that he can break the line based on strength alone, could be handy to have for building pressure with his acceleration. Rotating him through there with Ryan some more could make it a lot more dynamic.

Tim Kelly
Not sure why everyone's whinging in the gameday thread, thought he was pretty silky smooth and moving better than he has been recently. That doesn't mean he didn't make errors but some of the criticising of him for not chasing is a bit overblown after he's just missed out on a ball that's taken an odd bounce and Freo are off to the races. I didn't mind his game at all. Funny that a lot of his touches today were directly from Reid's handball releases (the irony) and he looked better being just 5m outside the contest rather than having to fight for it. Overall I think it was a good game.

Reuben Ginbey
Looks stronger in the air than a lot of our other defenders, he jumps high and he has a good spoil on him. I really liked his game and the physicality he brought when the ball was near him. I'd prefer he had another crack at being a midfielder but he looks pretty solid and reliable down back when he's there.

Barrass / HEdwards
Thought both were good, Freo's ball use was so fast that sometimes there wasn't much they can do and Barrass had one poor kick. The trailing on the lead wouldn't have been so bad if Rotham had covered him instead of worrying too much about his own man being held down.

Barrass with 16 touches, 9 marks, 6 spoils, 3 tackles, 8 intercept possessions.

Edwards with 7 spoils and 7 intercept possessions.

LOW TOG %
Culley - 60%
JWill - 64%
LEdwards - 68%
Yeo - 68%

The balance doesn't feel right with this team.

I love Maric, he should be playing AFL football, not sure the wing is right for him but would like to see him keep getting games.

Didn't think Cripps was that bad, he gets involved, just lacked some finishing class which is pretty standard with him.

I just realised something. I didn't see Liam Ryan in the centre square? Are you seriously telling me we gave his mins to PETCH. WTF that's sackable. Your putting Petch there to please petch not putting the best player for that position in there

The differentiator is Reid thriving on the physical contest. He was drawing so much of the attention today and then despite it he flew his own flag and forced Yeo had to step in to protect him from the shit for brains administrators ruining AFL. I'd make him captain. He's a warrior.

Just let him play and help the club. Titles not required. We just gave our average captain a 4 year extension. Don’t encourage the club to keep making crap decisions

-
Coach got the team selection wrong again. Obsession with tall players is a sickness at this club.
Trew going down early
Rotham
Culley's not going to make it, love his attitude but he's to slow and not elite in any area.
Someone should of belted Jordan Clark

+
Harley. MJ aura about him is doing everything he can to turn this club around.
Yeo. Excellent all night and shielded Harley beautifully.
H.Edwards, one of his best games for the club
J.Williams, Waterman, Barrass, L.Ryan, all played pretty well.

Negative
-We've seen enough of rotham, culley and ledwards.
-Darling and cripps are done.
- land of the giants fwd line is a dumbass idea
-oscar played a horrible game

Positive
  • Harry.edwards, Jack.williams look good
  • barass and yeo beast mode
  • really like Harley's game
  • whipping boys bbw and Cole played very well

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back