Preview Round 21, 2017: Hawthorn v North Melbourne, 13 August 2017, 3.20pm @ UTas Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How does TOB get named over Vickery again?

CHAMPER

because they're both average players and young average beats old average..... its the same logic as to why we let Kennedy go and kept Shiels, because he is 2 years younger, nothing to do with skill or ability or anything, its that magical 2 years younger rule, oh and supposedly Shiels was more of a leader LOL

How does TOB get named over Vickery again?

CHAMPER
TOB offers more up the ground, more once the ball is below his knees, and better athleticism for when the ball once in a million comes into the F50 quickly.

Just remember, Grimley performed like Vickery is in the VFL yet was a complete dud in the AFL. Why? Because there aren't many 200cm defenders in the VFL like there is in the AFL.

Because TOB has shown glimpses of absolute brilliance at certain points this season, albeit inconsistently.

It's just Vickery hasn't been given a chance since the teams form turned the corner and Gibson was worse during that period and kept his spot too. TOB has been putrid the last month, whilst Vickery's form in the VFL has been very solid.

If this is the path Clarkson is going to continue down, just trade out Vickery at the end of the season. It makes absolutely no sense because no way on form is TOB in our best 22. And against Richmond was the obvious time to bring in Ty. I'd just hate to finish his Hawthorn career when he's hardly had an opportunity.

CHAMPER

It's just Vickery hasn't been given a chance since the teams form turned the corner and Gibson was worse during that period and kept his spot too. TOB has been putrid the last month, whilst Vickery's form in the VFL has been very solid.

If this is the path Clarkson is going to continue down, just trade out Vickery at the end of the season. It makes absolutely no sense because no way on form is TOB in our best 22. And against Richmond was the obvious time to bring in Ty. I'd just hate to finish his Hawthorn career when he's hardly had an opportunity.

CHAMPER
TOB had a stinker last week, but by and large he's been pretty serviceable the previous few weeks to that. TY is just back up at this point in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHAMPER
Tim being putirid is a reach. He's playing mostly to his capabilities.
His attack on the ball in flight is top notch, he's competitive when he give BB a chop out, and it must be noted that we are not exactly lighting it up with our forward structure this year, due to limitations elsewhere on the ground.

Vickery has been ok at Box Hill level, but not exactly a standout.

Relegating him to depth in preference of a younger more agile tall who could develop further and also gain interest from other clubs makes complete sense at this point in time.

Would definitely play TOB ahead of Vickery. Has shown as much, if not more, and has more room for improvement than Vickery.

By the numbers:

Rich - 10 Disposal @ 60% 0 goals
Sydney - 16 disposals @ 87% 1 goal 4 marks
Freo - 8 disposals @ 50% 1 goal 2 marks
Geel - 6 disposals @ 100% 1 goal 1 mark
GWS - 7 disposals @ 29% 1 goal 1 mark
Coll - 14 disposals @ 78% 1 goal 7 marks
Adel - 8 disposals @ 62% 2 goals 0 marks

CHAMPER

By the numbers:

Rich - 10 Disposal @ 60% 0 goals
Sydney - 16 disposals @ 87% 1 goal 4 marks
Freo - 8 disposals @ 50% 1 goal 2 marks
Geel - 6 disposals @ 100% 1 goal 1 mark
GWS - 7 disposals @ 29% 1 goal 1 mark
Coll - 14 disposals @ 78% 1 goal 7 marks
Adel - 8 disposals @ 62% 2 goals 0 marks

CHAMPER
Yeap. Inconsistent, no argument here. Just like any tall forward with less than 50 games. But I'd back him to improve on those Swans/Pies numbers and make them more consistent over the next 2 years than I would on Vickery to improve his output.

TOB would no doubt like to be getting better stats, watch him closely and you can see that he is playing to instruction or His role if you like. When the ball is in the air, fly for the mark, if unable to mark crash pack the same can be seen with Shoey. Plenty of opportunity for smalls to crumb if they are up to it.
For what its worth I like what I see.

Timmy is fine.

The way we've played since the bye has meant he hasn't had the room inside 50 he needs to take grabs. He's still building to be able to take marks body on body (prefers the leap in from the side).

And other teams defenders have noticed. He is finding it harder to get a clear run to win marking contests, but most always he makes a presence in the air.

Are we expecting Burton to take Brown (hopefully up the ground) and Brand to take Preuss/Goldstein? Gunston & Sicily for support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back