Prediction Round 21 Changes vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast also challenging the Petruccelle ban, arguing for a 2 week penalty

Are they they seriously challenging it? Actually reckon there’s decent precedents there for it to be two or three weeks and if Darcy hadn’t come back on it would’ve been straight to the tribunal imo.

I don’t think it’s worth more than a week personally but I’m just saying I’ve seen very similar incidents get harsher penalties.

Edit: Just seen they aren’t actually challenging it.

I'm not liking all these AFL journos and news stories ripping into the Bombers. They're gonna be fired up.
Melbourne copped it for a week after we flogged them in Alice Springs.

Had the Kings birthday match the following week and gave a yelp for a quarter but the Collingwood just absorbed and broke there spirit.

That's all we need to do absorb the early intensity and I think they will roll over.

I hope we rip Bombers apart by 10 goals and then we wear our heritage guernsey for the rest of the season to remind them how close to history we are 💜

Melbourne copped it for a week after we flogged them in Alice Springs.

Had the Kings birthday match the following week and gave a yelp for a quarter but the Collingwood just absorbed and broke there spirit.

That's all we need to do absorb the early intensity and I think they will roll over.
In a way the Derby was excellent prep for this game.

If anything sure I'd love an easy run in for security of a top 4 position but if we hold top 4 from here then we've bloody well earnt it and can be confident going in to finals.

I think King Huskii just vomited or just had a heart attack LoL.

No way I want Hughes in.

I would only want him in if we have no other choice. Even then I want him in the forward 50.
No need to be like that, your carry on would make you think Hughes has never played a decent game for Freo. He has played plenty, sure I see more in Draper’s and Chapman’s potential but Hughes has played plenty of crucial games In defence. Chapman is also currently making plenty of mistakes. Hughes is possibly closer to a return than you think with very good WAFL form.

No need to be like that, your carry on would make you think Hughes has never played a decent game for Freo. He has played plenty, sure I see more in Draper’s and Chapman’s potential but Hughes has played plenty of crucial games In defence. Chapman is also currently making plenty of mistakes. Hughes is possibly closer to a return than you think with very good WAFL form.
The thing with Hughes is he is a symptom of the whole squad getting better.

He has been a great loyal servant who has played some decent games it's just that others have overtaken him.

If he does get a run it will be because we have copped a number of injuries.

If that happened I am sure he would give it his all as he usually does.

They are different mistakes though. One is from taking the game on under pressure or failing to execute and the other is from not having any spatial awareness and being extremely slow at decision making / execution. Hughes is an equal player without the ball, but Chapman is far better with ball in hand. One player is 22 and the other is 30, so I think we will persist with Chapman, even if he has the occasional bad game.

They are different mistakes though. One is from taking the game on under pressure or failing to execute and the other is from not having any spatial awareness and being extremely slow at decision making / execution. Hughes is an equal player without the ball, but Chapman is far better with ball in hand. One player is 22 and the other is 30, so I think we will persist with Chapman, even if he has the occasional bad game.
Agree with all that, just not the commentary that makes out Hughes is a complete liability, even when he has shown himself to be insanely brave in the contest, the original hard as a cats head (also best clubman several times). I also hope to keep our best team in but I will not ‘vomit’ if Hughes gets a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tbh were not in a development year now, chapman should be at risk of being dropped, hes had more than his fair share of poor games this season.

Ridiculous all the hate Hughes gets. Sure, he might not be first in line anymore, touch wood but if our defense ever got decimated by injuries we'd be lucky we still had him on the list to call upon
I think Hughes has always played to the best of his ability and doesn't deserve what he cops from some supporters. They can't all be as good as Serong, and players like Hughes add to our depth and experience if/when we need them.

tbh were not in a development year now, chapman should be at risk of being dropped, hes had more than his fair share of poor games this season.
He's had his fair share of Brilliant games too. We don't have a lot of depth in his position and he has been much better than other options playing that role in Aish, Johnson or Hughes. No one is immune to being dropped but a settled side is gold heading into finals and he's got a few runs on the board to be given a chance to settle.

Our new attacking game plan is also leaving the defense more exposed so I think people need to understand that too. It's a good trade off though as we are headed into the squiggle premiership zone.

I love how JLo is in a position where he can look at an opposition list and call on whoever he needs to play whatever roles he wants them to play. We may not always agree with his decisions, but what a glorious place to be this close to finals. I love how our 'regular 22' mention fringe players like Voss whenever they get the opportunity, which shows how much respect they have for each other.

The more I see of the Fyfe report the more I can't see how we can rationalise him getting off.

Unless we somehow end up getting a technicality run our way by challenging in the first place e.g. Cripps last year, Cameron and Bedford a fortnight ago.

The old "error at law" number might just work. It's a special loophole the AFL have hidden away in all the mumbo-jumbo of the tribunal to get players like Cripps off.

Fyfe being a dual Brownlow medalist and a genuinely extra good bloke would be a monty to go free if we go down that route.

A couple of old cockys from Lake Grace could vouch for Fyfe as a good bloke and he will be free to play against Essendon. Too easy.

The thing with Hughes is he is a symptom of the whole squad getting better.

He has been a great loyal servant who has played some decent games it's just that others have overtaken him.

If he does get a run it will be because we have copped a number of injuries.

If that happened I am sure he would give it his all as he usually does.
Think you mean victim?

he has some horrible errors and then he pulls off something amazing like a spin out of a pack
I am not advocating he be dropped, but he needs to pick up his game and regain his confidence.
But the vitriol about the players like Taberner and Hughes and to a lesser extent the likes of Fyfe and O'Meara is disgusting.
Fantasy Footy and super coach football followers.

Last edited:
I am the first to argue that if you throw a fist you wear the responsibility for what happens when it lands.

I think with Fyfe, the argument is twofold and begins with that he doesn't in fact throw a fist. He puts out an arm bar and that f ckwit Culley runs into it. Which is why Fyfey put it up in the first place. A f ckwit was running toward him.

Was Culley injured? Did you have his jaw broken and four teeth knocked out? Was he concussed? Did the chemical straightener get jolted out of his scarecrow hair?

I don't think Fyfe should suffer too much if the sole consequences of his actions were that an idiot got stopped in his tracks.

I am the first to argue that if you throw a fist you wear the responsibility for what happens when it lands.

I think with Fyfe, the argument is twofold and begins with that he doesn't in fact throw a fist. He puts out an arm bar and that f ckwit Culley runs into it. Which is why Fyfey put it up in the first place. A f ckwit was running toward him.

Was Culley injured? Did you have his jaw broken and four teeth knocked out? Was he concussed? Did the chemical straightener get jolted out of his scarecrow hair?

I don't think Fyfe should suffer too much if the sole consequences of his actions were that an idiot got stopped in his tracks.
Culley is far more punchable than Reid. I wish Fyfe said at the tribunal, "I wish I hit him harder, just to make it worth it".

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 21 Changes vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back