Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was SO enjoyable and exhilarating to see Bobby at his brilliant best again last night. :D That cheeky move pointing out the defender's mark then playing on. The extraordinary knock down to WHE in the goal square. Great defensive pressure, especially one instance when he corralled Carlton defenders in our forward line. We always seem to be more on song when Bobby is out and about. :clapping:

A glorious win but man, I could do without the late dramas.

It was a throwback to 2023 but I really wish we could change our tactics from ''parking the bus'' once we get out to a decent lead.
It just seems when we go into that defensive mode and don't really try to score, we concede all momentum ... we just seem like a hapless deer standing there waiting for the predator to pounce. The tactic has served us well in the past but I really think it's had its time, and it has not worked much this year. For people at the game, is it apparent we are just trying to shut the game down with how we set up etc?

Three head-scratching moments for me... Darcy trying to mark over the top of Jack Martin when he should have spoiled and thumped the ball well clear; Frampton and someone else not killing the ball over the line in a marking contest right on the boundary; Jamie letting the ball go out on the wing with 90-odd seconds left. I felt at the least he could have sent the ball deep into a vacant forward line. I guess he was just gassed
I actually thought that was deliberate by Jamie allowing the ball to go out. He could see there was no one in our forward line except Blues players.

Bring that fast game with matching pressure and we'll beat anyone.
Back to back still in play.

What was odd about this game was that our pressure rating was right down for almost the entire game

But it didn't feel that way at the ground?

So I do wonder how they measure the pressure rating because it felt like our pressure was pretty good.

A glorious win but man, I could do without the late dramas.

It was a throwback to 2023 but I really wish we could change our tactics from ''parking the bus'' once we get out to a decent lead.
It just seems when we go into that defensive mode and don't really try to score, we concede all momentum ... we just seem like a hapless deer standing there waiting for the predator to pounce. The tactic has served us well in the past but I really think it's had its time, and it has not worked much this year. For people at the game, is it apparent we are just trying to shut the game down with how we set up etc?

Three head-scratching moments for me... Darcy trying to mark over the top of Jack Martin when he should have spoiled and thumped the ball well clear; Frampton and someone else not killing the ball over the line in a marking contest right on the boundary; Jamie letting the ball go out on the wing with 90-odd seconds left. I felt at the least he could have sent the ball deep into a vacant forward line. I guess he was just gassed

32 up in the last & it felt like we started to lairise on a couple of plays. They picked up 4-5 frees in a row and momentum shifted. Once momentum shifted we did go defensive. They got on a Cripps-led roll (Long couldn't go with him) & we definitely started to tire on-ball (losing clearance consistently). Pendles spoke about it after the game ..they were setting up behind the ball at clearance (emptying out front of stoppage) and then just surging through with numbers ..it worked.

We just about did enough to hold on. Gotta say, the after-the-siren drama makes it even sweeter, turning a miraculous come-back victory into heart-break for the most deserving of clubs.

Re tactics across the game: Carlton tried the Gee & Ess tactic of chipping their way through our zone. +74 uncontested possessions & +52 marks, their way, reflects that. Thought it was the wrong tactic given their twin towers are very dangerous one-out ..slowing it up enabled us to get numbers into d50, crowd them out & Howe went to work 3rd man up. They changed it up in the last Q and just had to play faster tempo & more direct.
  • Darcy trying to mark over the top of Jack Martin - 100%, spoil was the conservative option at that point in the game. However, Darce has been (last coupla weeks) making a concerted effort to intercept mark & not simply spoil. Given he had the sit you would have backed him in.
  • Frampton and someone else not killing the ball over the line in a marking contest - Frampton had front position & tries to mark ..ball clips his fingers & spills over the back. Howe is following in 3rd man up & the Frampton touch takes it over his head.
  • Jamie letting the ball go out on the wing with 90-odd seconds left - very dewy last night; he looks up to see what's ahead just as he tries to take possession - simple fumble. Cripps did exactly the same with about 30 seconds to go!

But when Cameron fell down and Carlton got a clean kick inside 50 and I saw a Carlton player by himself marking it with seconds to go.... literally almost made me throw the remote control at the TV.

Pies were incredibly lucky it wasn't one of their forwards
It was the only throw in that Cameron didn’t win or break even. He didn’t even get to contest it. And it happened at the most crucial time.
I apologise for my language when McGovern marked it.

I'm a bit forgetful, though, could somebody remind me how many goals Curnow kicked ? :winkv1:
Fast Food Time GIF by Geo Law
Food Design GIF

32 up in the last & it felt like we started to lairise on a couple of plays. They picked up 4-5 frees in a row and momentum shifted. Once momentum shifted we did go defensive. They got on a Cripps-led roll (Long couldn't go with him) & we definitely started to tire on-ball (losing clearance consistently). Pendles spoke about it after the game ..they were setting up behind the ball at clearance (emptying out front of stoppage) and then just surging through with numbers ..it worked.

We just about did enough to hold on. Gotta say, the after-the-siren drama makes it even sweeter, turning a miraculous come-back victory into heart-break for the most deserving of clubs.

Re tactics across the game: Carlton tried the Gee & Ess tactic of chipping their way through our zone. +74 uncontested possessions & +52 marks, their way, reflects that. Thought it was the wrong tactic given their twin towers are very dangerous one-out ..slowing it up enabled us to get numbers into d50, crowd them out & Howe went to work 3rd man up. They changed it up in the last Q and just had to play faster tempo & more direct.
  • Darcy trying to mark over the top of Jack Martin - 100%, spoil was the conservative option at that point in the game. However, Darce has been (last coupla weeks) making a concerted effort to intercept mark & not simply spoil. Given he had the sit you would have backed him in.
  • Frampton and someone else not killing the ball over the line in a marking contest - Frampton had front position & tries to mark ..ball clips his fingers & spills over the back. Howe is following in 3rd man up & the Frampton touch takes it over his head.
  • Jamie letting the ball go out on the wing with 90-odd seconds left - very dewy last night; he looks up to see what's ahead just as he tries to take possession - simple fumble. Cripps did exactly the same with about 30 seconds to go!
May be wrong but think Cripps fumble closer to 90 sec mark and Elliot at 30.

Thought at the time if Elliot was able to gather and find a mark or decent territory that was the game.

How nice waking up this morning.
Life is good again after inflicting more pain on the Carlton Football Club and their fans.
The joy of this victory far outweighs my embarrassment after disgracing myself in front of my girlfriend and my dad while watching the last quarter.
I’ve assured them that I’m not a mental case, I’m just extremely passionate about our club.

There were no Collingwood players between him and our goal. I thought at the time it might have been a professional fumble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting read about the game from Anabelle on the Hotrod forum.

Despite playing finals and winning flags is now a distant dream for this season, it is not always the sole raison d'être, especially coming off an epic cup win.2023. Every year is a journey with special markers along the way. First and foremost, we cherish chalking up wins against key nemeses on the calendar. Having beaten the hated navy blues twice, if we can knock over the Dees in the last round, it will be in analogous Olympics terms, a double double for us against chief adversaries. But this win was sweeter for other reasons too – we had to honour the legacy of Pendles and twice in three seasons put a dagger in the enemy’s flag or finals chances. There was the ecstasy of 2022 when Elliott pierced the big sticks in the shadows of the siren, and now last evening’s relief, to the dismay of Cripps’ smirking, celebratory grin when McGovern marked and couldn’t get near those sticks.

Before last week we had almost become inured against the disappointment of losses, but late in the year it’s great that we can enjoy the spoils of victory again. Let’s not forget that we are also stretching our lead against Caarlton in the all-time head-to-head stakes.

While Sidey appears to be withering on the wine in sight of the sunset, Pendles in his super milestone match was again one of the architects of our victory and he’s as calm as ever the maelstrom of traffic. It’s hard to divine just how somebody could be such a paragon of consistency as he fronts up year after year and having never blessed with speed still plays to his signature strengths. What is also notable about this win, was that the Lygon Street mob have customarily spoiled our historical team and player milestone games over the years but as someone on this forum remarked, McRae has spread his magic dust and matches moving inexorably towards a heartbreaking loss have left the Blues crestfallen instead. I still recall treacle slow Greg Williams leading us a merry dance when they rained on our parade in the centenary celebration encounter.

As is our wont during this period, we contrived to carve out a close affair despite being well place at the last break. It was eerily reminiscent of the QF against the Dees when they also tried to mow down a twenty-five-point lead. It seems rather than storm the opposition like we used to when behind, we are apt to go into our shells and try to withstand the onslaught rather than be proactive. Perhaps we are less fit as some track-watchers suspect.

Like the previous few weeks, we conceded many uncontested marks and our defence was battered by the extra weight of forward entries. Clearly, these are areas which need to be addressed as we dissect our game plans A and B before next season.

Fortune favoured us when we recovered the paperwork before we subbed out the struggling Long as JDG was simultaneously injured. That would have compromised our bench if not redeemed. JDG was handy with his two goals and making a defender responsible for his potential damage, but anyone who saw him at training during the past few weeks knows that he’s lame and he raised himself out of his rehab status to play in his mentor SP’s epic milestone match. He will not return this year. Overcompensating for an injured part of the body is fraught with danger.

While we conjured enough goals, our attack is still not as productive as it can be. McStay is underdone but getting valuable time to reintegrate himself into the action and he should be developing some confidence in his knee.

Elliott is looking refreshed and as lively as ever but seems to have a lot of ‘nearly’ moments which could really elevate his game if they came off. He didn’t trouble the scorers too much last night. It seems to be a point of debate as to whether Jamie should have taken more territory at the end rather than dribbling the ball over the line.
WHE who’s been in a barren patch of forms stood up to the plate last night and propelled our attack against a battling Blues defence despite them having the putative best defender in the league.

The ubiquity of Nick was obvious again but his output while still significant is not quite as telling when he was in his richest vein of form during the first half of the season, though his best moments still encapsulate his rare talent and immense skill.
His sibling’s decision-making and disposal seem to have gone awry in recent times with some very unDaicoseque like deliveries of the pill towards teammates.
Hill was quite productive, and like Nick will end his career with a stellar highlights reel. His high-octane style complements the others in attack.

Beau adds some grunt to the line-up even if we would love him to become more involved

Cameron is our biggest improver this year, franking a great pre-season preparation. He;s held the fort even when Cox has been injured with the only blot on his escutcheon being his inability to compete with his opposite number at that last throw-in. He was our second highest rated player last night
IQ continues to struggle and only pipped the insipid performance of Lippa whose lack of grunt meant the loss of JDG was really felt. The coaches may look to recalibrate IQ between seasons to see if he can recover his mojo for the ensuing years.

Howe who’s recovered some good form later in the year effected sixteen spoils and was a good foil for his taller colleagues in defence.

Noble’s output was down which was crucial as the big boys were occupied with well credentialled opponents and couldn’t offer offensive drive. His form has been a bit sporadic during the second half of the season.

Cox’s presence addresses the forward structural kinks and his strut was evident on the bigger stage of a night match in front of a big crowd. His goals appear to be a cue for the opposition to vicariously express their boxing aspirations.
Frampton’s recall was imperative with the McKay/Curnow twin towers and it was credit to he and Moore that they were essentially held with Curnow being the second lowest rank on the field, just ahead of Lippa. The oft-maligned Moore has always played well on Charlie and his spoils were again in double figures in addition to some contested marks. Unfortunately with the double threat of their talls, he wasn’t able to be an attacking presence.

Bytel looks more band aid measure than fixture in the team, but least has found a bit of the pill over the past few weeks.

It will be interesting to see how we replace JDG, whether we go with some neophytes or for the tried and even not so trusted. If we bow out of the finals race next week though, one would hope we see more of the likes of Allan, Reef, Fin and maybe a debut for Harry.

Even if we miss finals though, these delicious wins against

A bit diabolical to let it get to that point after the lead we had however…

This one’s for you Carlton

gesture **** you GIF

Yes and no.

The game was done and dusted and most Blues fand would have thought it was curtains after Elliot’s goal in the 4th. Then for them to get a sniff made it so much more enjoyable on the end

… particularly with a shot on goal to pinch it

… that not only missed, but it went out on tbe full.

Could not have been better scripted. Something out of a movie. Shame I didn’t have any popcorn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving that we won it for Pendles, and felt we were the best team for 3qts.

But we essentially allowed his 400th to get to a kick after the siren after being up by 32pts with 12 mins to go.

I understand we're "kings of the close finish", but there's something very mentally strange with us when we're ahead going in to a 4th quarter this year. Being up 4-5 goals means basically nothing for us now.

I genuinely was going to comment at 3qt time "watch this be decided by less than a goal" but thought nah don't be such a negative cat.

Yet here it is again. Outside of the Port game we've done very little vs contenders this year.

• Beat Brisbane
  • 25 points up against Freo deep into the last at Optus
  • Had the Dogs on toast at 3/4 time before getting Bonted
  • Beaten Carlton twice.
  • Gave Port a hiding

Who are the contenders anyway? Any of 10 sides could legit win the thing this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back