Toast Round 21 = Melbourne 89-96 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight the list looks in good shape, but that was nobody’s assessment and true belief at the mid to end of last year. Even the players seemingly believed we were rubbish based on the crap that was dished up last year.
And yet Buckley told us exactly what would happen, I think he's thrilled and couldn't care less about credit, that seems to be a projection by others

They're very good. I don't want to face them in the finals. I'd love them to be on the other half to us, and Cats take them out.
They're good, but I have more concern against the Cats, Tigers, Dogs, Lions, probably Swans in terms of putting on a sustained run of goals. And in defence they want to intercept more than stop.

Two other factors: they are not overly quick and I don't rate their defensive pressure even though their numbers were pretty good last year.

I don't think they're a team that exposes our weaknesses as much as others, except for clearances - one of the least impactful weaknesses. Which is why I added the Grundy and Adams proviso. They help us even that out, which we did in the 2nd half of this game anyway.

We weren't a destination club at the start of the year, foolish peasants, only one club plays in front of the biggest home and away crowds year in year out and makes a Grand Final every 2.7 years on average
Fair point. There were times during the year where you wonder whether it's better for us to be winning or losing. I mean shouldn't we be looking for early draft picks?

That seems ridiculous now that we are a real chance of top 4 and have to be considered some sort of chance to challenge. In the end it's always better to win as many as you can. It aids in development of your current players and helps attract new ones.

Anyway, I'm confident AJ is worth top 10, at least, in any draft. Didn't need to tank for him.

Home and away. Playing premiers at full strength. All of their guns fired. We win Top that.

Oh IDK. Off the top of my head:

• North win, 38 pts down at the half
  • Pretty much every win in our streak this year against top 8 sides
  • That win against wc at marvel when we were bottom and they were top
  • Our wins in 77 (was only 7 at the time but remember) against the top teams
  • Those ridiculous wins in the 80s
Probably many more I can't think at the minute.

The St Kilda game where Carman ran wild to get us back in it, the hun full page next day was him cleaning a pair of white boots with the headline: CARMANWOOD

Fly's presser

How do you keep winning like this?
"This group has some belief hasn't it. We sort of get ourselves in positions where at three quarter time there's a few smiles on their faces; 'here we go again'. It's been our story. I haven't been a part of a team like it that gets themselves into a situation where they just think 'here we go, we'll get the job done'. It's through a lot of trust built in those moments. It's pretty special".

The post-match address with the players was longer than usual. Was this your best win this year and what was your message to them?
"Yeah it's hard to measure best win. I was really proud of the group's last 4 or 5 minutes. We just went into autopilot of knowing what we need to do in that situation. We just close the game down. We've had a lot of practice of this. The ability for the group to just look so connected. We're trying to be in tune with each other and that was the best execution we've done in that critical stage".

We know you're process driven rather than worried about outcomes, but you do need to re-evaluate expectations. Do you see yourselves as a genuine premiership contender now?
"We're living in the moment of getting better. That's always been our message. We can't get too far ahead of ourselves. You look at the stats sheet; it's a lot of red in it. We're not naive that we've got a lot of work to do. We finished our goals well, we took our chances, got smashed at centre bounces. There's too much to work on to get too far ahead of ourselves. I think we'll just live in the moment now".

You must admit it's a big scalp beating the reigning premier?
"Well you come here tonight knowing there's a lot at stake. Every game you play now has more meaning to it and time is running out for everyone including ourselves. We're really proud of the group to be able to just play how we want to play, particularly in the second half. We sort of adapted on the run tonight. In the past, we've sort of like 'we'll just do our thing'. We had to change a few things. We couldn't keep kicking long down the line to Gawn and Jackson, that was doing us no favours. Our ability to change and adapt and then execute, those things we'll review well".

Ed Langdon's comments were put up on the whiteboard. That must have spurred you on?
"Nah, nah. I actually really like personality in the game. I'd encourage more of it. Speak up; not because we won. I think we're craving that aren't we. I saw the news flashes light up and you guys loving it and so you should, let's embrace this".

Why did you put it up on the whiteboard?
"I was having a bit of fun with myself because I'm a little bit of a one trick pony before the game [*laughs]. I just did the same thing and said 'sorry boys, I'm going to do the same presso here'. Nothing about Ed, I actually really respect him as a player and I'd encourage every club to have more of that".

Did you guys discuss physically approaching Ed Langdon, or did the players initiate that?
"There was no initiation or no targeting. We knew we just had to go out there and do our own thing. It was just a bit of a sideshow that we didn't get caught up in".

Does your belief every waiver during games even when you're losing key stats?
"It hasn't actually because I've got a lot of trust in this group and in individuals. Beau McCreery is a great example. Comes in at half time and hasn't had a touch. He's a young kid trying to play AFL footy and find his way and he hasn't touched the footy. In the last quarter in the last five minutes, he had more pressure points than half our team in that five minute passage and he kicked a goal in the third quarter, so these are the lessons that our group is building. I said before the game; I will share this. Melbourne are the reigning premiers and they're trying to rediscover that. We don't know where our ceiling is at and that's exciting. We're in a discovery mode. We're finding out where we're at individually and as a group and that's an exciting place to live".

More than half your games have been decided by under 2 goals and that includes 10 wins of 11 games. How valuable is that heading into a final series?
"You just never know until you're in it. You're right, tonight is an example. Big occasion, big stakes, five minutes to go, push a button and there it is; just straight into autopilot of what we need to do. Hopefully at some stage, we can call upon that if we need to and we hope most games are tight. That would be nice".

Must be a nice feeling to have qualified for finals and maybe secure a top 4 spot?
"I'm not really good at the ladder predictor. There's still a lot to play out. There's two more games. We get to sit back now on the weekend and see what happens with other teams. I love footy, I'll watch every game. Sometimes I'll be riding bumps and I don't even know why I'm riding bumps. I don't know who we'd like to win but we've controlled all we can for this weekend"..

Melbourne were beating you in key areas in the first half, what changed for the game to turnaround in your favour?
"We moved the ball differently. We went into the game wanting to be fast and furious; using a movie theme. We short of fell short in parts of that, particularly we were scoring but we just weren't defending that well. We lost a lot of territory. I showed some clips before just at half time around our inability to get out of D50 [in terms of] where we were kicking and not supporting the aerial contest. Gawn was having a big influence and so was their keys, so we tried to change a couple of little things around those things".

Ash Johnson kicked 4 goals. He's had a great start to his career?
"This is the thing, we're not a mature group. We have maturity and all that, but we have youth. That's his first game in front of a big crowd like that. To be able to go back and execute his skills. The one where he got the mark on the line. We have a thing; take your 30 seconds. He had another 30 seconds to take, so there's all those little lessons he's going to learn. We're learning on the job. Beau McCreery, Jack Ginnivan, Ash Johnson. These guys are learning on the job. Like I said before, it's an exciting place to live".

Jordan De Goey was excellent. He looked persistent all night?
"I thought it was his best game for the year. I thought he was a star. I thought he genuinely flipped the game around clearance. We couldn't get the ball out of centre bounces and we got smashed in there again. He just had this shrug the shoulders and swagger to get out of traffic. I thought it was his best game for the year".

Your backline was under siege, but they held their own really well?
"They [Melbourne] seemed to be scoring at ease in the first quarter; 6 goals. I thought our pressure lifted; I don't know if you guys saw that from where you were sitting. I thought the third quarter we just started to change. I thought out of stoppage we were folding back too much, and we showed some footage around that as well. We just started to put some real heat around the ball and that's a big part of our game".

If Jordan De Goey plays like that, does it become harder to let him go?
"He's a free agent. That's his right to explore his options. I speak authentically, I'd love Jordy to stay. I know that's going to create a headline, but we'll just live in the moment and let Jordy keep being himself around our environment and make us better. Nights like tonight are a good example of his assets that makes us better".

Nick Daicos and Brayden Maynard looked sore. How are they holding up?
"Bruzzy looked like he needed to go to the panel beaters after the game; he was messed up. He's amazing. What about that tackle? Unbelievable! Those sort of moments inspire us and we make sure we celebrate those things. Nick [Daicos] I think just got an elbow in the rib, but he was fine to finish the game".

What about Will Hoskin-Elliott?
"Will has got a hip flexor back thing. I don't think it's that bad".

What's the plan with Brodie Grundy? Is the injury more serious than you expected?
"Brodie won't play this week in the VFL. I haven't got an update on what I knew on Friday which was that the ankle is not settling as much as we would like. We were hoping for him to play in the VFL this week and we were happy with what he did last week. It looks like the knee is fine, but this ankle is a bit grumbly so hopefully a couple of days off on the weekend; we get back on Monday and we'll find out what's going on".

Bucks said the team has played well for 5 years with the nucleus being very consistent over that period, with 2021 being the outlier. I don't see how that can be disputed to be honest. Last year was awful, but is does look to be the exception.

I disagree with that view. The team had regressed and wasn't playing like they are now. Not even close.

I could go on but would prefer to focus on where we're going and I don't want to come across as disrespectful to Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree with that view. The team had regressed and wasn't playing like they are now. Not even close.

I could go on but would prefer to focus on where we're going and I don't want to come across as disrespectful to Buckley.
It's pretty obvious though that McRae wasn't handed a 17th rated team staring at a 5 year rebuild, our 22 years and under team is surprisingly good given we just exited our premiership window in 2019/20 and didn't have any high draft picks for a decade

17 of them have played seniors with Dean unlucky to get injured just before selection and Harrison close as an emergency at one stage

Quaynor Dean Ruscoe
Murphy Kelly McMahon

Begg Carmichael Macrea
Poulter N Daicos T Brown

Henry McInnes McCreery
Bianco Krueger Ginnivan

Int:
Chugg Draper Harrison Murley

Last edited:

Cannot see how this team would be in this position this year if Buckley was still coach.

Hopefully Kane Cornes got his answer last night regarding the flag Pies!!!.....😜

In hindsight the list looks in good shape, but that was nobody’s assessment and true belief at the mid to end of last year. Even the players seemingly believed we were rubbish based on the crap that was dished up last year.

The optimists could rightly point to that senior core to say we can still do ok this year, they would not have considered what we’ve got from Ginny, Ash, Henry, Beau, Carmichael in those critical moments, even Nick has exceeded even our wildest hopes. They are playing inspired footy. 2018 excepted, we so rarely saw inspired footy from anyone let alone most of the team under Bucks. It was dour.

This year the older stars are still there, but there a fair chance they were stars regardless of Bucks’ tenure. So that’s list management, not coaching.

Our good players are still good, but they are better under Fly. Our inexperienced players are seemingly enabled better to succeed this year.
Roughead has been a huge loss. Adams and Grundy very difficult to replace normally. Dean and Kreuger also big losses, considering the roles they were recruited for.

The optimists could rightly point to that senior core to say we can still do ok this year, they would not have considered what we’ve got from Ginny, Ash, Henry, Beau, Carmichael in those critical moments, even Nick has exceeded even our wildest hopes. They are playing inspired footy. 2018 excepted, we so rarely saw inspired footy from anyone let alone most of the team under Bucks. It was dour.

This year the older stars are still there, but there a fair chance they were stars regardless of Bucks’ tenure. So that’s list management, not coaching.

Our good players are still good, but they are better under Fly. Our inexperienced players are seemingly enabled better to succeed this year.
FMD do we have to go over this AGAIN???????

Move the FCK on . . .

Loving watching the team this year. Exciting taking the game on footy. Who would have thought we would be 2nd on the ladder. Most and me including had about 2nd last. Craig McRae is an outstanding coach and person. So good to have our coach low profile in the media and just getting the job done

Savour that win Pies fans, that was a cracking good finals like game and should give ya team plenty of belief heading into finals.
Sadly I think the afl $wines beat your mob next week after this massive high.
I hope not though and good luck in September 👍

Looking at the stats we had absolutely no right to win that. Their best players were all their big guns, we got smashed in the clearances and inside 50s, had 1 player with more than 25 touches, yet we kept them to 3 goals in the 2nd half and had all the momentum.
Imagine the result if we broke even around the middle?
I think it shows we have a great team effort every week and we don't rely too much on our top line.
Great win.
Onto next week and Sydney for #12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 21 = Melbourne 89-96 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back