Preview Round 21 - St. Kilda v Brisbane Lions (Sunday, 4 August 2024 at Marvel Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised to see both Fort and Smith named in the 26. Almost implies one of them is going to play.

Also a bit surprised/disappointed to see Madden named ahead of say Harry Sharp. I know they play different parts of the ground but given the venue and opponent we're likely to need a bit of run. Particularly if Smith holds his place in the team!
Hippy still playing back?

Surprised to see both Fort and Smith named in the 26. Almost implies one of them is going to play.

Also a bit surprised/disappointed to see Madden named ahead of say Harry Sharp. I know they play different parts of the ground but given the venue and opponent we're likely to need a bit of run. Particularly if Smith holds his place in the team!
Smith will play ahead of Fort I reckon. Madden, Fort, and Reville/Brain will be EMG with Brain or Reville as the sub.

Bench- Ah Chee, Berry, Madden, Smith, Fletcher, Fort, Brain, Reville.

You would think Ah Chee, Berry and Fletcher are locks, I would go Brain as the other on the bench and Reville as the sub or vice versa.

Do not see the need for Fort or Smith, Madden is a strange selection, he has been ordinary in the VFL and definitely nowhere near as good as Sharp.

Madden and Fort won't play and Reville named instead of McKenna.
Most of us thought McKenna should be given a go at VFL level and that looks like the case unless he is injured.
It still could go a few ways depending on if we want some height or run.

I think the sub will be either Reville, Fletcher or Smith.
Another day and it will be narrowed down.

Last edited:
SAINTS

B: J.Battle, D.Howard, C.Wilkie
HB: N.Wanganeen-Milera, J.Sinclair, J.Webster

C: M.Wood, L.Stocker, R.Byrnes

HF: B.Hill, J.Higgins, M.Owens
F: A.Caminiti, T.Membrey, C.Sharman

FOLL: R.Marshall, J.Steele - C, M.Phillipou

I/C (FROM): Z.Jones, P.Dow, D.Butler, D.Wilson, H.Garcia, T.Campbell, A.McLennan

IN: M.Phillipou, P.Dow, T.Campbell, A.McLennan

OUT: H.Clark (Injured)

Not a particularly tall forward group.

Caminiti 196cm
Sharman 193cm
Owens 191cm
Membury 188cm

If the 2nd ruck plays.. Campbell 201cm.
I am a little more worried about Higgins.
The talls mentioned will kick a few goals but usually they don't kick a bag.
It is good that they are not too tall as Prior at 189cm will be taking someone.
Lester is 192 and Berry 192 will get back to help out like last week.

1722503984611.png

Last edited:
Prior holds his spot also. So we'll still be undersized in defence. Another big job for our midfield.

Happy he gets another game. Building a squad for finals success, we are.

As to the final team - Bruce/Shadeau have gone past Conor. Henry has gone past Darcy. Not sure About Jimmy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon this is a big week for the Big O. I have him typed as a bit of a down hill skier as he has tended to dominate the lessor ruckmen but fall short against the best. However he had the better of Grundy last week. and with Marshall as another scalp, he will be getting towards possible AA selection.

Maybe Smith's selection puts a rocket under him?
Oscar’s been very good for the last 8 weeks and nothing to do with Smiths inclusion

Oscar’s been very good for the last 8 weeks and nothing to do with Smiths inclusion
I look at the Big O and who he is playing on to judge his value. He has been in good form against certain ruckman but can he rise to beat the best?

The next 8 weeks will be the making of the Big O.

A dominate final series and a certain Crackers K will have a partner.

Wonder if Smith could be the sub in case a tall gets injured
I wouldn’t think so - people went nuts when Fort was getting named as sub, Smith is just the same approach with a different giraffe.

Wonder if Smith could be the sub in case a tall gets injured
Could happen. He could also keep his spot but that may be unlikely with Hippys return to the forwards.
Was only a few weeks ago Morris named as sub.
In general, they usually go with a small.
I would be happy either way.
Gives us another look at Smith or a small.

Gday all I come in peace.
I noticed a few comments regarding the Big O needing a big game.
As much as I love Marshall and his work around the ground I can assure you the Big O will destroy Marshall at ball ups like he always does.
Rohan seems to have a lot of trouble against the bigger rucks just standing at 201 cm himself and the Big O will definitely have his measure at 206cm.
Marshall will try and get off the chain around the ground and this is where the Big O has to be on his game.
I’m really looking forward to this game and I think the lions get up by 4 goals.
All the best for no injuries and an enjoyable game.

Gday all I come in peace.
I noticed a few comments regarding the Big O needing a big game.
As much as I love Marshall and his work around the ground I can assure you the Big O will destroy Marshall at ball ups like he always does.
Rohan seems to have a lot of trouble against the bigger rucks just standing at 201 cm himself and the Big O will definitely have his measure at 206cm.
Marshall will try and get off the chain around the ground and this is where the Big O has to be on his game.
I’m really looking forward to this game and I think the lions get up by 4 goals.
All the best for no injuries and an enjoyable game.

So, It's all about the ruck.

The Billy Longer cup is up for grabs.....

Re Joyce, I saw a quick sliver of footage of Joyce at training. He was wearing this goofy looking head gear with mutton chops. The mutton chop padding adding a bit of collision protection for the jaw I guess. The head gear would offer no support to the jaw for jarring or pain from running and it suggests there may only be a need to protect his jaw from contact pain. If he's running and doing some contact training, he could be back sooner rather than later. That's a big assumption from such a tiny bit of vision, I know. But if the jaw was bad he wouldn't be training/running, he wouldn't be risking worse injury with only a head gear with mutton chops to protect him. Next week maybe?

I like the team selected. Fort, Smith n Madden will be the emergencies. More a good on ya for Madden. Carrying the two rucks is interesting. Maybe Big O has a niggle or Andrews might get a headache or some concussion symptoms recur. Good to cover them either way.

Glad Prior gets another run and very glad Bruuuce is back in the 23. Ah Chee, Berry, Fletcher, Brain and Reville. That's a pretty good bench. Brain might get the sub role this week. He was just OK last week and the Saints have some good outside run with Hill etc, an extra wing with Reville could be handy. I'd love to see Bruuuce split Hill in half with one of his tackles.

I hope McKenna, if not injured/fatigued, makes the best of some time in the ressies. Work on what he needs, get timing, confidence. At his best he is a first grade player. At the moment the young fellas have passed him. I think we'd all hope he's back to his best come finals.

A good team, in good form, well aware of the consequences. I said earlier here a 35+ win, I'll stick with it.

Ah the great Billy Longer.
You have no idea the arguments on the saints board over the years of longer vs Hickey.
I still can't believe you guys thought getting rid of McEvoy in favour of bringing in Longer was a good idea. It doesn't make me feel any better about drafting Longer in the first place though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back