Preview Round 21 v Western Bulldogs Marvel Stadium Friday August 4th 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much doom and gloom here.
We just took it right up to one of the best teams in the comp and it took some pure umpiring corruption to kill our momentum in the second and bring them back in the game.
Cumbo and Bauer need to play and we’re a chance.

I dont get the issue with rfc and shitihad

it was all mental because of what dumma said

ffs we train on a ground with the exact same dimensions as shitihad, we should be better at that ground than others
WTF is not the same at all as the Indians in F troop tigers are scared of the dark so the Afl conspired to put a roof over the new vintage stadium.

Mix up the forward line and try something new! It’s still so clunky and relying on mids to score.

Coulthard Cumberland bauer
Clarke miller Samson

Give Jack a rest (unlikely given he’ll probably play on to reach the 800).

Mix up the forward line and try something new! It’s still so clunky and relying on mids to score.

Coulthard Cumberland bauer
Clarke miller Samson

Give Jack a rest (unlikely given he’ll probably play on to reach the 800).
Been waiting for Coulthard to get a full game, surely this week is the week. Cumberland yes but with the VFL having the bye last week unlikely?

So much doom and gloom here.
We just took it right up to one of the best teams in the comp and it took some pure umpiring corruption to kill our momentum in the second and bring them back in the game.
Cumbo and Bauer need to play and we’re a chance.

Cumbo and bauer need to come in…agree

been saying we need forward pressure, goal kickers for weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my rant about our midfield, I want to highlight two groups of statistics since McQualter took over:

Centre clearance differential under McQualter:
Round 11
vs Port Adelaide: -4 in centre clearances
Round 12 vs GWS: -2 in centre clearances
Round 13 vs Fremantle: -5 in centre clearances
Round 14 vs St Kilda: +9 in centre clearances
Round 16 vs Brisbane: -17 in centr clearances
Round 17 vs Sydney: +12 in centre clearances
Round 18 vs West Coast: +3 in centre clearances
Round 19 vs Hawthorn: -9 in centre clearances
Round 20 against Melbourne: -3 in centre clearances

Total: -16 in centre clearance differential.

——————————————————————

Inside 50 differential under McQualter:
Round 11
vs Port Adelaide: -22 in inside 50s
Round 12 vs GWS: -23 in inside 50s
Round 13 vs Fremantle: +5 in inside 50s
Round 14 vs St Kilda: -3 in inside 50s
Round 16 vs Brisbane: -30 in inside 50s
Round 17 vs Sydney: +8 in inside 50s
Round 18 vs West Coast: +1 in inside 50s
Round 19 vs Hawthorn: -4 in inside 50s
Round 20 vs Melbourne: -28 in inside 50s
Total: -96 in inside 50 differential

——————————————————————

Just to let you know, the differentials under Hardwick were -27 for centre clearances (even worse) and +9 for inside 50s (much better).

Given our midfield’s almost full strength, I think there’s something really wrong in two areas: our ball movement and our set-up at centre bounces. We can get the ball and McQualter has markedly improved our inside 50 efficiency from the Hardwick days, but our midfield still has some major problems.

From watching the game, it’s apparent that our ball movement is one of the major problems. It continuously breaks down before going inside 50 either through crap disposals, over-handballing, or really bad decision-making.

With our centre bounces, the way we set up is very very poor. When the ball spills, the opposition tends to be right at the fall of the ball. When we do get it, we tend to either fumble the ball or fail to avoid a tackle due to indecisiveness or just bad positioning/decision-making. This either turns into a stoppage or HTB against.

Those are the two main issues with our midfield IMO. We’re also on the slower side, but that wouldn’t have mattered as much if these areas were better.

Whoever is in charge of our ball movement and centre bounce setup has to go from that/those position(s) at the end of the season. McQualter may or may not be contributing to this problem, but those in charge of coaching/conditioning our midfield certainly are. Some of us may think our players are just dumb when being indecisive/making poor decisions, but that can happen to clever people when the coaching is poor. We shouldn’t be ranked 17th (-43) and 15th (-87) in centre clearance and inside 50 total differentials respectively after 20 rounds with the quality of players we have in our midfield. That’s ridiculous.

Missing Tom Lynch and Josh Gibcus only marginally impacts this. The midfield coaching and conditioning has to be addressed in the off-season. It’s tanked hard since last year. It’s probably the only reason why we’re not higher on the ladder right now IMO.

In my rant about our midfield, I want to highlight two groups of statistics since McQualter took over:

Centre clearance differential under McQualter:
Round 11
vs Port Adelaide: -4 in centre clearances
Round 12 vs GWS: -2 in centre clearances
Round 13 vs Fremantle: -5 in centre clearances
Round 14 vs St Kilda: +9 in centre clearances
Round 16 vs Brisbane: -17 in centr clearances
Round 17 vs Sydney: +12 in centre clearances
Round 18 vs West Coast: +3 in centre clearances
Round 19 vs Hawthorn: -9 in centre clearances
Round 20 against Melbourne: -3 in centre clearances

Total: -16 in centre clearance differential.

——————————————————————

Inside 50 differential under McQualter:
Round 11
vs Port Adelaide: -22 in inside 50s
Round 12 vs GWS: -23 in inside 50s
Round 13 vs Fremantle: +5 in inside 50s
Round 14 vs St Kilda: -3 in inside 50s
Round 16 vs Brisbane: -30 in inside 50s
Round 17 vs Sydney: +8 in inside 50s
Round 18 vs West Coast: +1 in inside 50s
Round 19 vs Hawthorn: -4 in inside 50s
Round 20 vs Melbourne: -28 in inside 50s
Total: -96 in inside 50 differential

——————————————————————

Just to let you know, the differentials under Hardwick were -27 for centre clearances (even worse) and +9 for inside 50s (much better).

Given our midfield’s almost full strength, I think there’s something really wrong in two areas: our ball movement and our set-up at centre bounces. We can get the ball and McQualter has markedly improved our inside 50 efficiency from the Hardwick days, but our midfield still has some major problems.

From watching the game, it’s apparent that our ball movement is one of the major problems. It continuously breaks down before going inside 50 either through crap disposals, over-handballing, or really bad decision-making.

With our centre bounces, the way we set up is very very poor. When the ball spills, the opposition tends to be right at the fall of the ball. When we do get it, we tend to either fumble the ball or fail to avoid a tackle due to indecisiveness or just bad positioning/decision-making. This either turns into a stoppage or HTB against.

Those are the two main issues with our midfield IMO. We’re also on the slower side, but that wouldn’t have mattered as much if these areas were better.

Whoever is in charge of our ball movement and centre bounce setup has to go from that/those position(s) at the end of the season. McQualter may or may not be contributing to this problem, but those in charge of coaching/conditioning our midfield certainly are. Some of us may think our players are just dumb when being indecisive/making poor decisions, but that can happen to clever people when the coaching is poor. We shouldn’t be ranked 17th (-43) and 15th (-87) in centre clearance and inside 50 total differentials respectively after 20 rounds with the quality of players we have in our midfield. That’s ridiculous.

Missing Tom Lynch and Josh Gibcus only marginally impacts this. The midfield coaching and conditioning has to be addressed in the off-season. It’s tanked hard since last year. It’s probably the only reason why we’re not higher on the ladder right now IMO.

Interesting stats mate. One thing I will say is that we have had a lot of inconsistency in personnel due to injury in the middle of the park. I would love to see specific breakdowns of centre bounce combinations and which are/aren't effective. You're right though, those numbers are alarming.

From Caesar on PRE

Captain's Run:

No Cotch, Miller, Hugo

Baker and Shorty out there.
Cumberland, Bauer, Mansel, Coulthard, Clark, Nank, Soldo

Can't see any other obvious omissions

Cotch, Miller out it seems at this stage. With Nank and Short in, it does seem like Soldo will hold his place. Cumberland, Coulthard, Bauer and Clark could all be the emergencies, but I would expect one of them in for Mansell or maybe Banks? Not sure who, I just know the forward line needs a bit of a re-jig. Hopefully it's Bauer, lord knows we need another key forward.

Anyway all guess work until the teams actually drop. But it seems Cotch will be rested and Miller dropped

Interesting stats mate. One thing I will say is that we have had a lot of inconsistency in personnel due to injury in the middle of the park. I would love to see specific breakdowns of centre bounce combinations and which are/aren't effective. You're right though, those numbers are alarming.
Yeah that’s actually a good point. Which midfield combinations aren’t working and which players often position themselves wrongly? I’m actually not sure as it probably takes watching every centre bounce carefully. I might start to pay attention to that from now on.

Any danger of sticking someone on Bont? Can barely handle a tag, didn’t get a touch after GWS put Ward on him who’s well past it himself
mini dumma will let him run rampant

I think we will go with the two rucks. Can't drop Soldo after his first half effort last week.

Nankervis cannot play forward, but Soldo might. He looks leaner and fitter than I have ever seen him and was jumping all over Gawn in the centre bounces. Why not plonk him at FF and kick on his head. The Dogs have nobody near big enough to spoil him or match him physically and he can bring the ball to ground at least. Jack will have to go out to CHF, which I am not a fan off but somebody has to do it. Not quite so crucial at Marvel.

Maybe Bauer comes in to help in that department, or Cumberland.

I know it won't happen but Grimes should make way for Short not Banks. It's sort of time to play blokes on their merits not their credits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back