Preview Round 21 v Western Bulldogs Marvel Stadium Friday August 4th 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any danger of sticking someone on Bont? Can barely handle a tag, didn’t get a touch after GWS put Ward on him who’s well past it himself
We never tag, so I’m not waiting for that. I don’t know the last time we actually did that.

Who would be good at that role? Maybe someone like Graham

We never tag, so I’m not waiting for that. I don’t know the last time we actually did that.

Who would be good at that role? Maybe someone like Graham
hugo 🤪

This game will be won or lost in the midfield. We can't afford for Bont and Libba for have 15+ clearances between them as per usual. Hopper or taranto might have to do a job on one of them.
nah, this game like last time will be won by the umpires

No Miller or Cotchin at the captain runs according to Caesar. Short out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my rant about our midfield, I want to highlight two groups of statistics since McQualter took over:

Centre clearance differential under McQualter:
Round 11
vs Port Adelaide: -4 in centre clearances
Round 12 vs GWS: -2 in centre clearances
Round 13 vs Fremantle: -5 in centre clearances
Round 14 vs St Kilda: +9 in centre clearances
Round 16 vs Brisbane: -17 in centr clearances
Round 17 vs Sydney: +12 in centre clearances
Round 18 vs West Coast: +3 in centre clearances
Round 19 vs Hawthorn: -9 in centre clearances
Round 20 against Melbourne: -3 in centre clearances

Total: -16 in centre clearance differential.

——————————————————————

Inside 50 differential under McQualter:
Round 11
vs Port Adelaide: -22 in inside 50s
Round 12 vs GWS: -23 in inside 50s
Round 13 vs Fremantle: +5 in inside 50s
Round 14 vs St Kilda: -3 in inside 50s
Round 16 vs Brisbane: -30 in inside 50s
Round 17 vs Sydney: +8 in inside 50s
Round 18 vs West Coast: +1 in inside 50s
Round 19 vs Hawthorn: -4 in inside 50s
Round 20 vs Melbourne: -28 in inside 50s
Total: -96 in inside 50 differential

——————————————————————

Just to let you know, the differentials under Hardwick were -27 for centre clearances (even worse) and +9 for inside 50s (much better).

Given our midfield’s almost full strength, I think there’s something really wrong in two areas: our ball movement and our set-up at centre bounces. We can get the ball and McQualter has markedly improved our inside 50 efficiency from the Hardwick days, but our midfield still has some major problems.

From watching the game, it’s apparent that our ball movement is one of the major problems. It continuously breaks down before going inside 50 either through crap disposals, over-handballing, or really bad decision-making.

With our centre bounces, the way we set up is very very poor. When the ball spills, the opposition tends to be right at the fall of the ball. When we do get it, we tend to either fumble the ball or fail to avoid a tackle due to indecisiveness or just bad positioning/decision-making. This either turns into a stoppage or HTB against.

Those are the two main issues with our midfield IMO. We’re also on the slower side, but that wouldn’t have mattered as much if these areas were better.

Whoever is in charge of our ball movement and centre bounce setup has to go from that/those position(s) at the end of the season. McQualter may or may not be contributing to this problem, but those in charge of coaching/conditioning our midfield certainly are. Some of us may think our players are just dumb when being indecisive/making poor decisions, but that can happen to clever people when the coaching is poor. We shouldn’t be ranked 17th (-43) and 15th (-87) in centre clearance and inside 50 total differentials respectively after 20 rounds with the quality of players we have in our midfield. That’s ridiculous.

Missing Tom Lynch and Josh Gibcus only marginally impacts this. The midfield coaching and conditioning has to be addressed in the off-season. It’s tanked hard since last year. It’s probably the only reason why we’re not higher on the ladder right now IMO.
It’s not who’s in charge it’s the cattle. We are slow and even our wings are as they can’t come in fast enough to assist or roll back . Even our HFF can’t come in as they’re treacle. We need Cumberland, Clarke , MRJ and Sonsie to replace Pickett, JGTI ,Hopper and Cotchin.
Your stats basically show we can’t match it with the better sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back