Preview Round 22, 2018: St Kilda v Hawthorn, 18 August 2018, 7.25pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am guessing we did mid/late 2015 before Cegs went down with his knee? Reckon we can, and will.

Round 5 and 6 in 2015 all four of them played together. Lost to GWS, beat North Melbourne.

So Shoe goes out before Nash?

I think so, if Rough can play. I think Nash will get a chance to put a couple games together so he can see how his body backs up under the rigors of senior play. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think the Hawks would run BB, Cegs, Rough and Shoe together. Too tall and too slow. And of those four I think Shoe is coming in last position.

So Shoe goes out before Nash?

Plus, Nash has 2cm on Shoe and is only 1kg less heavy. Shoe has had a good run and worked hard for the club, but I think there's a chance that Nash can take his spot if Nash can show those senior skills, endurance and recoverability.

EDIT: Nash, by the way, has 4 cm and already 5kg on TOB. There's a spot for the taking if Nash can do it. Not this year, I don't think, but I'll be very interested in how the pre-season goes next year.

does whitecross come back ? i dont think we can play that many talls ?

so roughy and whitecross in Nash and pittonet out
Heard the poor bugger got bloody pneumonia during the week, so not sure how long that will put him out. Hopefully just the 1 week, but doesn't sound like a great one to get. Unless Clarko has a specific role or opponent for him, I'd say he'd be struggling to get back in the best 22 this year.

Heard the poor bugger got bloody pneumonia during the week, so not sure how long that will put him out. Hopefully just the 1 week, but doesn't sound like a great one to get. Unless Clarko has a specific role or opponent for him, I'd say he'd be struggling to get back in the best 22 this year.
Shite if Whitecross misses finals we usually win a flag. Poor bugger. :huh:

I liked the part when Hawthorn traded first round pick (7) to St Kilda to secure Jaeger. Naturally people laughed and were claiming we paid overs.

Saints use pick 7, 8 and 35 on guys who can't hold a spot in the first team whilst Hawks first pick Worpel (pick 45) is kicking match winning goals and building a cult following.

Who's laughing now?
If we can get a player like Worpel with Pick 45 imagine the how good a player we could get at pick 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are posters so keen to retire Birchall?

Can we at least see IF he's finished before we call it? Sure, 5 games in 18 months isn't amazing but he's a champion. Deserves a bit more than he's been given around here

Definitely agreed.

Furthermore the games he played in 2017 showed his value. We are a much better team with Birchall in.

We missed Frawley (whilst a bit dopey, is still a required player), Birchall and Stratton last season for large chunks. Proved costly, however we fast tracked development which remarkably has us in top four calculations.

I agree he needs a game at box hill, however if fit and running could be a massive X factor especially if we make top four or win an elimination final.

KOLOKOTRONIS

There always seems to be a big out for us with these types of games, like a Mitchell or O'Meara maybe even Burgoyne to sit out, hope there isn't but i have a feeling someone will be rested for this game

I think Roughead will be rested for another week to load up against the swans.

Mitchell is a beast and wants to play. Jom has been rested and requires continuity.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they rest Shiels. His body is needed for the swans and finals in the likely event we beat the saints.

KOLOKOTRONIS

We should be picking out best side regardless of who we are playing. The thing playing the Saints may do is that we are not worried about rushing players back from injury

This is my view also. Don’t rush anyone back, but should not for a second take this match as an easy win. Saints have not won for a while, this is the type of 2018 match that can easily go against expectations. Let’s take it deadly seriously and get it done. If we do smash them, that’s great. We can rest players at the pre-finals bye.

Plus, Nash has 2cm on Shoe and is only 1kg less heavy. Shoe has had a good run and worked hard for the club, but I think there's a chance that Nash can take his spot if Nash can show those senior skills, endurance and recoverability.

EDIT: Nash, by the way, has 4 cm and already 5kg on TOB. There's a spot for the taking if Nash can do it. Not this year, I don't think, but I'll be very interested in how the pre-season goes next year.

I'd like to see that Nash can mark the ball before giving him a run ahead of Shoey.....

Wouldn’t be surprised if they rest Shiels. His body is needed for the swans and finals in the likely event we beat the saints.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I like this idea as Shiels responds well to a periodic breather....

Cousins in / Shiels out
Rough in / Nash out

I'd like to see that Nash can mark the ball before giving him a run ahead of Shoey.....

I believe they will Rough the run ahead of Shoey, if Rough recovers this week. I think they'll leave Nash in to see if he can handle the rigors of weekly AFL. Or at least so they can let him see how hard he needs to work each week to be ready.

Come finals it's a whole different ball game. But for this game against the Saints I wouldn't be surprised.

I’d be surprised if any player gets rested.

We’re in a very good but precarious position at the moment. St Kilda may be rubbish but they aren’t incapable of playing footy that can beat us. Nor are we immune from putting in a stinker.

The team has done so well the last couple weeks to get here. Resting players for the sake of a rest (as opposed to carrying a niggling injury) is flirting with form and sends the message that St Kilda aren’t considered a dangerous foe. Mentally that could fire them up to “prove’em wrong” and simultaneously make some of our guys (likely the younger ones) a bit complacent.

With a bye round before finals there’s really no point risking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back