Preview Round 22, 2018: St Kilda v Hawthorn, 18 August 2018, 7.25pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are posters so keen to retire Birchall?

Can we at least see IF he's finished before we call it? Sure, 5 games in 18 months isn't amazing but he's a champion. Deserves a bit more than he's been given around here
Hasn’t played a game in over 12 months his place has to be reviewed.

Can we at least see IF he's finished before we call it? Sure, 5 games in 18 months isn't amazing but he's a champion. Deserves a bit more than he's been given around here

Particularly when you look at our games with him in last year, we were so much surer. We were on top of Adelaide in Rd 2 and when he went off early we suffered a heap.

He was huge in the second Adelaide game too, 10 intercepts from 28 touches.

Hasn’t played a game in over 12 months his place has to be reviewed.
It really doesn't. If Birch can get himself fit for 2019, and he's keen to go around again, I'm sure he's straight back into the 18.

I think we sometimes get the whole 'outta sight, outta mind' thing happening around here. Birch's delivery and run off the half back flank and into the forward fifty is not easily replaced.

he has played what 5 games in 2 years maybe not retire him but i wouldn't be bringing him back this year the guys on the field have got us this far why drop someone that doesn't deserve to be

even if he manages 1-2 games at box hill he will be no where near ready for afl

he has played what 5 games in 2 years maybe not retire him but i wouldn't be bringing him back this year the guys on the field have got us this far why drop someone that doesn't deserve to be

Isn't that the point of the intensive training block? To get him ready for AFL football?

Birch is probably our 2nd coolest head (behind Burgoyne). When everyone is losing their minds amidst the chaos that is finals footy his ball use and direction will be invaluable. If he's physically right to go he'll come straight in

The last quarter against the Cats (and last 10mins against Bombers, and last 10 mins against Swans) when we couldnt get the ball moving from our backline........those are the times I miss Birchall.

Cool, calm and precision kicking. He is our elite ball user off the back flank.
Get him and Sicily on opposite back flanks and we're going to be hard to beat.

If it all goes well McEvoy and Sicily will be available for the Round 23 game against Sydney.

It’s going to be hard to push out Worpel and Miles who both deserve to stay in the team on current form.

If it all goes well McEvoy and Sicily will be available for the Round 23 game against Sydney.

It’s going to be hard to push out Worpel and Miles who both deserve to stay in the team on current form.

Worpel can't miss finals. He is ready made to make an impact on the big stage. I don't care if Cyril wants to come back to play in them - Worpel plays.

No way does Worpel go out.

Fully fit list:

OUT: Pittonet, Nash, one of Ceglar/Shoe/Brand (depending on opponent)
IN: McEvoy, Sicily, Roughead

I believe we have not played a game with McEvoy, Ceglar, Roughead and Shoenmakers. Can we can play all 4?

Birchall would need a couple weeks of good form at Box Hill before displacing Miles. I think he is leaving his run too late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way does Worpel go out.

Fully fit list:

OUT: Pittonet, Nash, one of Ceglar/Shoe/Brand (depending on opponent)
IN: McEvoy, Sicily, Roughead

I believe we have not played a game with McEvoy, Ceglar, Roughead and Shoenmakers. Can we can play all 4?

Birchall would need a couple weeks of good form at Box Hill before displacing Miles. I think he is leaving his run too late.

Reckon this is on the money. Plus Howe next in line for a midfield spot depended on form/fitness.

I always tend to sit in the wrong spot at Etihad - is it safe to say most of our fans will be up the Lockett end? Where do the M10 lads tend to congregate for Etihad games??

ewis is probably the closest to a Rough trade situation. The only argument I could offer is that Lewis was at an age/condition where he could offer a club at least a few more years of service. (Obviously Clarkson and co weren't as convinced :()
I think there is more to this that will come out after Lewis retires. There is some bad blood on how this one evolved compared to the other two.

I still think Shoe is doing exactly what is asked of him. Love having him in the side. 1 goal, a couple of assists and bringing the ball to ground is what he is there for. Hope he stays injury free and keeps his place.
Without Schoey there is no goal after the Worpel play or an O'Meara goal in the last.

I think there is more to this that will come out after Lewis retires. There is some bad blood on how this one evolved compared to the other two.

I don't think that would come as a shock at all - however Lewis still talks fondly about the Hawks and did so only a few weeks back before his 300th game.

People keep comparing this season as being like 2008 but we didn't exactly come from nowhere in 2008. We were a ******* great side in our own right. Won the first 9 from memory, lost a handful through the middle of the season and then closed the season and finals like a boss when our best line up came back together.
I see this season as an opportunity. Like Richmond last year and the Dogs the year before we can stop this premiership drought. :D

does whitecross come back ? i dont think we can play that many talls ?

so roughy and whitecross in Nash and pittonet out

Would be a handy player to have 'waiting' in the wings with a few games under his belt during finals.

Would be a handy player to have 'waiting' in the wings with a few games under his belt during finals.

for sure just dont see anyone making way the back line is working well and still have to get sis in which would be for brand you would think

I liked the part when Hawthorn traded first round pick (7) to St Kilda to secure Jaeger. Naturally people laughed and were claiming we paid overs.

Saints use pick 7, 8 and 35 on guys who can't hold a spot in the first team whilst Hawks first pick Worpel (pick 45) is kicking match winning goals and building a cult following.

Who's laughing now?

for sure just dont see anyone making way the back line is working well and still have to get sis in which would be for brand you would think
I am with you I am not convinced we will see Birch again this year and the back line is creating some good synergy atm.

However, if Miles dropped off or we had a bit of bad luck on the injury front he could be a great in. Hopefully the club can get him somewhere near match fitness.

Would love to see him pick up 25 touches in 60- 75% game time at Boxhill this week? Is he a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back