Preview Round 22, 2023: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 13th August, 3:20PM AEST *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Tigers

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely part of that falls on the four blokes who are in the centre for each bounce. They talk to each other before the ball is bounced. I’m sure they’re not saying ‘you jump up and we’ll run around like headless chooks and see what happens’.
Well im not sure cause it honestly seems like we try to play some idiotic swarm the ball type rolling maul clearance structure.

Im not sure whether thats the personnel or the plan, either way its dumb. If its not the plan then Ross should be breathing fire at every break cause blokes arent following instruction.

Surely part of that falls on the four blokes who are in the centre for each bounce. They talk to each other before the ball is bounced. I’m sure they’re not saying ‘you jump up and we’ll run around like headless chooks and see what happens’.

Apparently Ratt's game plan confused them last year. Perhaps we have a bunch of Donny Dumbcampaigners. I can't imagine Ratts was complex.

Round 22 Team

B. Coffield Wilkie Webster

H.B. NWM Battle Sinclair

C. Hill Bytel Wood

H.F. Butler Hayes Steele

F. Higgins King Owens

Foll. Marshall Clark Crouch

Inter. Campbell, Gresham, Membrey, Windhager, Hotton-sub

I'm so sick of our senior players turning in brainless listless performances and getting away with it on the back of 5-10 mins of decent output. Hill a classic example against Carlton, Marshall and Wood were really involved but their distribution was so damaging to us, Steele was neutralised brilliantly, King was awful, Higgins's radar was off again.

How many can we drop though?

I'm so sick of our senior players turning in brainless listless performances and getting away with it on the back of 5-10 mins of decent output. Hill a classic example against Carlton, Marshall and Wood were really involved but their distribution was so damaging to us, Steele was neutralised brilliantly, King was awful, Higgins's radar was off again.

With NWM , Owens and Windhager playing the way they are, with Caminiti and Sharman and Pou doing ok, our team should have had a nice boost on last year. Instead its like some of our senior players have dropped back to maintain the status quo.

Not as many as we can trade
happy grin GIF

2024 Team

B. H.Hooper -(Pt.Melb.) B.McKay Wilkie

H.B. Coffield C.O'Sullivan Sinclair

C. NWM Owens Wood

H.F. Butler Caminiti Phillipou

F. Battle King Higgins

Foll. Marshall Crouch Parish

Inter. Hayes, Hotton, Steele, Windhager, Hill-sub

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Ratt's game plan confused them last year. Perhaps we have a bunch of Donny Dumbcampaigners. I can't imagine Ratts was complex.

You need to train them to react the way the game plan wants them too.
Like your dog sits before it realizes you have food for it.

That's what he did the first time he coached the Saints. They automatically moved to the right places and did the right things without thinking about the plan.

If they are training for that, it wll take time.

Especially when one of the four blokes is our supposed CAPTAIN.

2024 Team

B. H.Hooper -(Pt.Melb.) B.McKay Wilkie

H.B. Coffield C.O'Sullivan Sinclair

C. NWM Owens Wood

H.F. Butler Caminiti Phillipou

F. Battle King Higgins

Foll. Marshall Crouch Parish

Inter. Hayes, Hotton, Steele, Windhager, Hill-sub
Interesting though can’t see Nas moving back onto the wing he’s been going gang buster at HB and it seems hell would freeze over before coaches play Battle forward

Well im not sure cause it honestly seems like we try to play some idiotic swarm the ball type rolling maul clearance structure.

Im not sure whether thats the personnel or the plan, either way its dumb. If its not the plan then Ross should be breathing fire at every break cause blokes arent following instruction.

It's players, almost 100% for mine as it's a tolerance thing where they just default and with limited rotations you can't just randomly drag blokes just to have them on a phone to tell them to stop holding their balls in their bags and HTFU and take a body. Guys like Owens, Sincs Pou, Windy rotate through the mids and we look great is largely because they are actually actually skillful and when the game is shit they have the wherewithal to still take risks and combat, as opposed to a Steele or a Crouch where the response is "whelp, guess I'm just chasing arse". Or they get the ball hold it for a year and then decide on a suitable disposal, either or.

That's not something trained, that's not something coached, that's something where the player panics, forgets, otherwise defaults to safety so they focus less on how to escape that threat and more on "don't stuff up" which then increases the rate you stuff up.

List is the constant, head was found lacking for said list just last off season, this is a list that is capped ability wise as "good enough for finals, crapshoot otherwise" just depending on how many players mentally don't show up at any single time. We'd paper these cracks like many if emergencies could actually be used during a game on an expansive bench system, drag the Steele Crouch 1 pos per quarter types in down instances and replace with the "got subbed, got 10pos a quarter" types. Easy.

That swarming is to me anyway, a lack of faith that initial tackle will stick, so extra bodies required, it seems a well thought out plan if that's the case to try and kill a ball as tend to have sucked at that for a fair chunk across 2-3 seasons of that initial tackle actually killing that ball.

Interesting though can’t see Nas moving back onto the wing he’s been going gang buster at HB and it seems hell would freeze over before coaches play Battle forward
I like Battle back, but couldn't find a place there for him with the acquisitions, so he replaces Membrey? O'Sullivan may need time.
And we need one of Nas & Sinclair in the midfield because of their precise kicking.
Coffield you would hope, could play a wing, but less likely than the other two.

I think they just don’t trust each other to win the ball or stick a tackle, so they all collapse in to the contest every time. Lack of leadership and confidence to keep doing things the right way.

Or he could have looked at the video from last season, prior to this pre-season.
No excuses - he has all the video from last year and all the data - he had more than enough time to work on areas he wanted to.
Management would of fully expected us to be playing finals , for us to drop away again will be utterly disappointing.
But then again when your prime mover had a really bad season and Gresham who everyone thought would step up actually took a step down and with Membery and King hardly playing.

It's players, almost 100% for mine as it's a tolerance thing where they just default and with limited rotations you can't just randomly drag blokes just to have them on a phone to tell them to stop holding their balls in their bags and HTFU and take a body. Guys like Owens, Sincs Pou, Windy rotate through the mids and we look great is largely because they are actually actually skillful and when the game is s**t they have the wherewithal to still take risks and combat, as opposed to a Steele or a Crouch where the response is "whelp, guess I'm just chasing arse". Or they get the ball hold it for a year and then decide on a suitable disposal, either or.

That's not something trained, that's not something coached, that's something where the player panics, forgets, otherwise defaults to safety so they focus less on how to escape that threat and more on "don't stuff up" which then increases the rate you stuff up.

List is the constant, head was found lacking for said list just last off season, this is a list that is capped ability wise as "good enough for finals, crapshoot otherwise" just depending on how many players mentally don't show up at any single time. We'd paper these cracks like many if emergencies could actually be used during a game on an expansive bench system, drag the Steele Crouch 1 pos per quarter types in down instances and replace with the "got subbed, got 10pos a quarter" types. Easy.

That swarming is to me anyway, a lack of faith that initial tackle will stick, so extra bodies required, it seems a well thought out plan if that's the case to try and kill a ball as tend to have sucked at that for a fair chunk across 2-3 seasons of that initial tackle actually killing that ball.
Great post. Finally someone says it.

It's players, almost 100% for mine as it's a tolerance thing where they just default and with limited rotations you can't just randomly drag blokes just to have them on a phone to tell them to stop holding their balls in their bags and HTFU and take a body. Guys like Owens, Sincs Pou, Windy rotate through the mids and we look great is largely because they are actually actually skillful and when the game is s**t they have the wherewithal to still take risks and combat, as opposed to a Steele or a Crouch where the response is "whelp, guess I'm just chasing arse". Or they get the ball hold it for a year and then decide on a suitable disposal, either or.

Sounds like we need a good coach to sort out these issues eh?

Yeh, I really don’t understand the complete blame on the players. At absolute worst it’s gotta be shared.

If it’s a structural thing and the players are ignoring the structure and instruction then the coach is still responsible cause it’s their job to implement and reinforce. That’s the BEST case scenario for the coach and if you wanna give him a pass on it because of the “explanatory” year that’s fine but it’s still on the coach/coaches to improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back