Preview Round 22, 2023: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 13th August, 3:20PM AEST *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Tigers

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We don't kick half chance goals and haven't for many years
Agree. It's been noticeable the last couple of weeks that Crouch is looking dangerous around goals. It's almost like he's been told to try and hit the scoreboard. All too often some of our better kicks like Hill and Clark try to give the ball off when in scoring range. It's no good moaning about other teams arsing goals if you don't try occasionally.

Agree. It's been noticeable the last couple of weeks that Crouch is looking dangerous around goals. It's almost like he's been told to try and hit the scoreboard. All too often some of our better kicks like Hill and Clark try to give the ball off when in scoring range. It's no good moaning about other teams arsing goals if you don't try occasionally.

It's been a long bugbear of mine. A team needs to kick goals to win games. Someone needs to do that, and perfect opportunities are difficult to come by. Our better patches under Ratten were built on a lot of goals from close. Once that was more adequately defended by the opposition, we struggled to score because we kept trying to be perfect. We do a lot of messing around 50-70m out trying to find the perfect forward entry. I like it when players get into that range and think about kicking the goal themselves.

as i said in my post... No reason to blame centre clearance on the coaches, but it was more to do with stoppage clearance around the ground than anything
At every ball up, Cripps and co would get it and then two or three Saints would rush in and miss the quick handball over the top for one of the seagulls to easily run away and deliver it with no pressure. Ross has spoken about this before, clearly not working on it.

At every ball up, Cripps and co would get it and then two or three Saints would rush in and miss the quick handball over the top for one of the seagulls to easily run away and deliver it with no pressure. Ross has spoken about this before, clearly not working on it.

You can't send two players to the tackle and then have the ball get out. Send one to the tackle or stop the ball. Actually just stop the ball. Any tackle regardless of numbers that does not stop the ball is ineffective.

It's been a long bugbear of mine. A team needs to kick goals to win games. Someone needs to do that, and perfect opportunities are difficult to come by. Our better patches under Ratten were built on a lot of goals from close. Once that was more adequately defended by the opposition, we struggled to score because we kept trying to be perfect. We do a lot of messing around 50-70m out trying to find the perfect forward entry. I like it when players get into that range and think about kicking the goal themselves.
And then they’re branded by all and sundry as selfish🙄

Reality is this is all or nothing, we need 2 to make finals and i cant see us winning both of Geelong and Brissy.

To me it looks like it could still be enough to win 1 more but 2 just about guarantees it. Sydney, Geelong, GWS, Adelaide and St Kilda all have to win 1 or 2 more. Sydney have the draw so have the advantage but a win behind us.

Geelong- need at least 2 wins- Collingwood at the G (loss). St Kilda Marvel (50/50). Dogs at Kardinia (50/50).
Adelaide- need at least 2 wins- Brisbane Gabba (loss), Sydney in Adelaide (50/50), WCE in Perth (win).
Saints- need at least 1 win- Richmond (win), Geelong marvel (50/50), Brisbane Gabba (loss).
GWS- need at least 1 win- Port in SA (loss), Essendon Sydney (win), Carlton Marvel (loss).
Essendon- need at least 2 wins- North (win), GWS in Sydney (loss), Collingwood at the G (loss).
Sydney- need at least 2 wins- GCS in Sydney (win), Adelaide in SA (loss), Melbourne SCG (50/50)

That last spot on the ladder is wide open. If we can beat Richmond it is a great start but not a nail through the heart because they are out of the race. There are a few 8 point games in the run home. Geelong is ours 8 pointer. If we could pull off a win against them it would be huge for both sides chances.

To me it looks like it could still be enough to win 1 more but 2 just about guarantees it. Sydney, Geelong, GWS, Adelaide and St Kilda all have to win 1 or 2 more. Sydney have the draw so have the advantage but a win behind us.

Geelong- need at least 2 wins- Collingwood at the G (loss). St Kilda Marvel (50/50). Dogs at Kardinia (50/50).
Adelaide- need at least 2 wins- Brisbane Gabba (loss), Sydney in Adelaide (50/50), WCE in Perth (win).
Saints- need at least 1 win- Richmond (win), Geelong marvel (50/50), Brisbane Gabba (loss).
GWS- need at least 1 win- Port in SA (loss), Essendon Sydney (win), Carlton Marvel (loss).
Essendon- need at least 2 wins- North (win), GWS in Sydney (loss), Collingwood at the G (loss).
Sydney- need at least 2 wins- GCS in Sydney (win), Adelaide in SA (loss), Melbourne SCG (50/50)

That last spot on the ladder is wide open. If we can beat Richmond it is a great start but not a nail through the heart because they are out of the race. There are a few 8 point games in the run home. Geelong is ours 8 pointer. If we could pull off a win against them it would be huge for both sides chances.
I recall seeing a percentages thing that showed we were like 11% if we win 1 and it shoots up to 88% if we win 2. If we dont win 2 weve left it out of our hands and i wouldnt be banking on it.

I recall seeing a percentages thing that showed we were like 11% if we win 1 and it shoots up to 88% if we win 2. If we dont win 2 weve left it out of our hands and i wouldnt be banking on it.

Absolutely. We are relying on the fall of the cards with one win. Knock off Geelong and Tigers and we are playing finals. It's getting a bit depressing. I'm starting to hope Seb Ross and Billings can break back into the side for reinforcement. You know you're in trouble when you are hoping to find a soup spoon to bail water from your sinking dinghy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At every ball up, Cripps and co would get it and then two or three Saints would rush in and miss the quick handball over the top for one of the seagulls to easily run away

I mentioned this in the game day thread
We got suckered in and they just looped it over the top and ran away and ourslow ass mids never had a chance in chasing them down

I got up and walked out the room at one stage
That second half was deplorable

I hope we lose the last 3
**** it

Go for the better pick
No way we have a sniff in hell of a chance come the pointy end of finals

I fully see where you’re coming from . Another angle is selling the future to any potential free agents know you’re getting better draft picks to help going forward . Look at hawthorn and you can see they’re projecting in the right direction but zero chance of making finals this year

I think most very good FAs want clubs who will play finals immediately, and who will not take a few seasons to get there.

Different scenario as they will finish 3rd bottom this year and so will get a very good player.
After trying to top up with players for number of years (Mitchell, Omeara, Wingard etc), they switched entirely to rebuild mainly via youth, and senta lot of their senior players off.

So with our List Management this year it will be interesting to see if the Saints go for a heavy or light prune of our list.

The noise seems to suggest that the Saints are looking to build around a young core. As such I think the club may look to let go players to generate either more draft picks and or trade in some good young talent who may have several seasons already.

Have a look at centre bounces and stoppages in the second half against Carlton if you want to look at the replay- there's a real problem with setups around the packs and it is heavily on the coach and his assistants. Our mids are not great, but they didn't get hand on ball due to how they were being used. Lyon has a bit to answer for.

Massive asterisk next to that season. Far more evidence that they don’t perform with finals on the line.

Hopefully we have a bit more backbone under Lyon. He definitely seems to have removed a level of flakiness from us. When shit fell apart last year we lost matches by huge margins. We are still holding it together most of the time.

We don't kick half chance goals and haven't for many years
When we have players that can't make the distance from 30 metres out, the chance of half chance goals are halved again.
In fact when you have a team that are only good for 8-10 goals a game on average due to an inability to kick and handball to advantage, or just position themselves better, then the half halved chance is reduced further.
It's quite amazing that we win at all when you fully think about it.

List our players you actually like

ready, set, go!

most of the ones from our last premiership

and some from our last almost premiership

Wilkie, Syncs, Crouch, all very trustworthy and dependable over a long period of time, wouldn't be out of place in a GF side, the rest not so much.

Now you list your favourite player badges

ready set go!

When we have players that can't make the distance from 30 metres out, the chance of half chance goals are halved again.
In fact when you have a team that are only good for 8-10 goals a game on average due to an inability to kick and handball to advantage, or just position themselves better, then the half halved chance is reduced further.
It's quite amazing that we win at all when you fully think about it.

I think we seem to have a very deliberate plan to have shots from marks and anything else is a bonus. In that Hawks match we actually had a few snaps and lower percentage shots and it opened the game up. Adelaide killed us in their match by having heaps of low percentage attempts and most seemed to come off. Shots from log range, snaps facing the wrong way etc.

Carlton nailed theirs like that too.

most of the ones from our last premiership

and some from our last almost premiership

Wilkie, Syncs, Crouch, all very trustworthy and dependable over a long period of time, wouldn't be out of place in a GF side, the rest not so much.

Now you list your favourite player badges

ready set go!

I only like Cooper Sharman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back