Review Round 22, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Those hybrid defenders - Bergman, Jones and Evans - are holding up very well. I noticed Jones copped some criticism above. Granted Pickett had a big night and played on him and Farrell for most of it, but Jones looks a much more composed and reliable player now.
If Jones stopped dropping marks he'd be fine. If Farrell stopped fumbling/spilling balls inside D50 he'd be elite. If Bergman was more effective by foot he'd be elite. Evans on the other hand is just doing things right.

Didn't watch the game.
Saw the score.

I assume it would be a take it and move on sort of deal if not for 11 years of these sorts of games resulting in these sorts of scores being "canary in the coal mine" games.

We're second somehow, we'll somehow hang onto second at the end of the season, then we'll capitulate into a straight sets loss or something

All good I'm sure 2025 will be the year hinks gets it together

Obviously JHF was best on ground but once again it stands out that when we’re under pressure and struggling it is Boak that is in there making it a contest.
Bergman was also very good.
Houston solid as usual.
Butters and Rozee both good in the last 1/4 but both of them need to do the simple things sometimes (particularly Butters).
Would like to see Narkle given a bit more game time, think he has earnt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickett gets away with 2 pushes in the back for goals, one from a free kick for deliberate that probably wouldn't be paid to us, and one bludging behind the play when we turned the ball over from BZT's spoil.

Jones straight lines the ball every time, took some strong grabs and hit targets. Thought he, Evans and Bergman were really important when Houston and Farrell were quiet.
Agree with Bergman but didn't like Jones game. Houston & Farrell were lazy which is unusual for Houston.

Sweet was fine when Gawn wasn't on the ground but Gawn and his pet umpire dominated him while on the ground.
When Gawn wasn’t on van royen had a free hit at him
Literal license to do almost anything
Most ridiculous umpiring for a while
Noticed 42 was reasonably fair
But 29 was a cheat
Not sure if it’s possible to see how many frees individual umps paid?

I’m one of his biggest critics but don’t want him retiring due to head injuries. Would prefer he was traded or was handy depth than being forced out of the game.
It’s just happening too often, you look at it tonight there was nothing in it.
I just believe someone who’s getting these problems constantly shouldn’t be playing AFL.

Dees foward 50 entry was deplorable all night. Part credit to our defence & most credit to Dees incompetence. Gawn bathed Sweet. JHF saved us. Special mention to Boak, used the ball really well & work rate fantastic. Many of our players were lazy in first half but we still won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back