Toast Round 22 = Collingwood 109-101 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

That was huge. Had to win to restore confidence and belief in ourselves.

Early on, it looked like more of the same but the team found it's pressure game in the second quarter and didn't relent even with Geelong's best attempts to comeback (with a bit of help from the umpires).

Fantastic from Josh Daicos. Really stepped up in his brother's absence and showed why he's worthy of greater respect by the wider footballing public. Nick has had all the adulation over the past two years, but Josh has become a significantly good footballer since McRae took over as coach.

Ginnivan's return provided a real spark and energy for the team, even if it unfortunately came at the expense of Moore being subbed off due to a hamstring injury. He was unselfish, getting his teammates involved and making good decisions with ball in hand.

Nice to see Mihocek regain some form after a recent form slump with an equal career best 5 goals in a match. He really needed that after only kicking 2 goals in his last 5 games.

Nathan Murphy was extraordinary. Remarkable how he was able to recover and play this week after last week's injury. He was the general in defence, particularly once Moore went down with injury.

Jeremy Cameron's two out of bounds goal were baffling. I'm still gobsmacked hours after the event. I don't usually like to talk about umpires, but tonight was shockingly bad from them. If officiating doesn't improve, the umpires will inevitably ruin a cutthroat finals match.

Took a significant step of securing the minor premiership and a home Qualifying Final.

Last edited:
I do find it intriguing that people expect positivity in the game day thread when the team is playing like shite. Most intriguing! It is often a place to vent so just embrace it and don't read too much into it. You may also notice that the mood tends to shift dramatically when we start to play well, funny how that also happens! We are all emotional beings, it is what it means to be human and a passionate football fan.

Pressure returned and everything else clicked into place, well maybe except defending. Still not at our best and a bit lucky to hold on, Cats dominant in the last but didn't make it pay.

Mitchell 5 clearances, 25 CBA and his best game since Gold Coast. Mihocek returning to form in a big way. Howe looking good up forward. McStay steady again 2 goals 5 weeks running. Lipinski best game since his return. Really liked Hill's role tonight, wasted as a pure forward, need him involved up the ground.

And Josh, career best game.

Liked everything about the game except the defending and not running it out in the last. A good start to building form coming into finals. If Moore's hamstring is minor it could be a positive that he misses 1-3 and comes back refreshed, at latest, either for the first or second final.

Maybe he was the only one who was on the right angle. The cameras certainly weren’t and neither was 95 percent of the crowd. It was probably oob but it’s not the howler people are making it out to be.

The other was a stinker. A clear breach of the rules.

What do you mean? He saw the same angle as the whole viewing public as both he and the camera viewed the same ball flight. Even Cameron knew the umpire undoubtedly fcuked up. No excuse for it.

On another umpiring note, that prick Nicholls need to fcuk off and retire or be put out to pasture. He's an absolute blight on the game which had gone past him years ago.

It's also disgraceful how much Curnow and Cameron are endangered species where if you fairy tap them, those muppets in yellow have no trouble blowing their whistle, whereas if Gini gets his head taken off, the whistle stays jammed up their ass.

Scott in his Presser ststing he had been told by people who watched the footage that Cameron and the guy he HB to were in the field of play at the time and he questioned the reporter who asked the question if he saw it. When he replied he had and that both were outside the boundary ... Scott replied he must have viewed the footage from a different angle... WTF

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thats code for I saw it and the umpire did fcuk it up but I can't admit it so I need to obfuscate to divert attention from my own team being crap and on the verge of missing finals.

Chris Scott complaining about the umpiring is so delightful.

He's just a s**t bloke, sore loser and fundamentally unintelligent man, and he can't escape it
He's on the same line as Kane Cornes - he gets under people's skin and he knows it. He doesn't believe most of the crap he spurts.

Also suggesting booing Ollie Henry is immature .... as opposed to wanting to move home because an hour is too far from Mummy.
Exactly. I don't understand why people boo all those players that were moved on because of salary cap issues that were the result of the incompetence of Ned Guy.

However Henry who was homesick because he couldn't drive an hour down the road and wanted to leave, stuff him, go hell for leather, that guy is dead to supporters and deserves all the karma coming his way.

Maybe he was the only one who was on the right angle. The cameras certainly weren’t and neither was 95 percent of the crowd. It was probably oob but it’s not the howler people are making it out to be.

The other was a stinker. A clear breach of the rules.
Same. That was close enough to 50/50 to reward the playmaker, from the one angle they showed. But yes the umpires got on a bit of a run there...

Fly's presser.

Did you have a few worries at Quarter Time?
"Yeah somewhat. I thought we sort of had to take a little while to get our game going on the scoreboard. There was parts of the quarter that we really liked. Most of those goals early were from stoppage so we had to tighten that up. They got that part of their game going really well. We just didn't counterattack that. Our backs were under the pump. They're hard to stop when they're up and going the Cats. They're not the reigning premiers by fluke. We knew what was coming, and we had to come and fight what the opposition was bringing but also bring the best version of us. I thought we re-established parts of our game tonight which is really pleasing to wrestle back some momentum we've lost in the last few weeks".

Your DNA of pressure was back. Did you have to speak to the group at Quarter Time or was it something that naturally evolved?
"We spoke about it pre-game about Friday night footy is lots of people are watching. We want everyone to see how good our pressure is. That was the focus all week; get back to what we do. I thought for most of the night I think our pressure was over two. Our last quarter was slightly down on that. I think we re-established that we’re one of the best pressure teams in the comp.

Josh Daicos seemed to stand up in his brother's absence. It was a fantastic wasn't it?
"Yeah, I'm really pleased for Josh. Without his brother for the first time for a couple of years, he just played above the best of his capability if you like. He was so important in so many facets of the game. I was really pleased with his defensive side of the game as well which he doesn't get much credit for".

What's your initial diagnosis of Darcy Moore's injury?
"My understanding is it's tight. A neural type hamstring. We'll have to scan it obviously. we will have to wait to see the scan [shows]. My understanding is it's not major but we'll wait and see".

Are you worried you might have seen Darcy Moore for the final time in the H&A season?
"No, my understanding is that it shouldn't be a concern, but again we wait to see what the scans show, what the damage is and what's there. We'll have to wait and see".

Have you spoken to Darcy Moore?
"Yeah he is fine. He goes 'I think I'm fine'. Again until you really know, you don't know, but our instruction was it's a tight hamstring. [It's] quite neural, it wouldn't release so we'll see what comes".

How gutsy was that win considering Moore went off and you would have had some sore bodies?
"Yeah, I'm really pleased with the effort. After quarter time, I thought we really played our version and our brand for most parts of the night. You get to see how damaging our ball movement can be when we can get our pressure right and our other parts of the game. We're still not finished, we're a in work in progress. We thought they scored too many easy goals at times, so we need to get to work on that. From where we come tonight and where we started from to where we are now I think we've steered the ship somewhat".

Moore's subbing led to the inclusion of Jack Ginnivan who had three goal assists. Must have been good to see him back?
"Yeah, we're really pleased for Jack. I made mention of him post-game around being hungry and waiting for chances. Like you sit in the slips for 90 overs and just wait for that nick to come and then make sure you grab it – and I thought tonight he certainly showed everyone that his best is well and truly in our team. He gave us a real spark and energy, and we love that from him".

Has Ginnivan done enough to be back in your best 22?
"We'll wait and see. What is it now like Friday night, we don't play for another week, but based on what he produced it's going to be hard to say 'you're out of the team' I would've thought. We are just pleased for him because he has worked really hard for this. You see outcome, we see process and the process for six weeks is he's our best trainer of 44 guys or whatever it is, he is our best trainer so a hungry kid waiting for a chance. He's had to wait maybe longer than others had to. I thought if we picked him before tonight we would be picking him on last year's form. I think the last few weeks particular he has produced levels of footy that warrants a selection tonight".

When the players were introduced pre-game, Ginnivan seemed to get the biggest cheer from the supporters. Did you sense how popular he is from the fan base?
"Yeah, you should see the messages I get when I don’t pick him! He’s got a big fan base. It’s understandable because he’s a player that ignites the crowd and he ignites us. We need energy. Last week we didn’t have enough [energy]. We need spirit and we didn’t have enough last week. So guys like him really give us spark. No wonder the crowd like him".

What have you wanted to see from Ginnivan? Is it in relation to seeing more with his defensive for example?
"Yeah, he's had to fight through his own form, I don't think his form, he can speak for himself, but his form in the VFL level wasn't really saying you're going to pick me until probably the last 3 or 4 weeks where he was looking like he was on top of the ground and he's fit. He's a nice player to have up your sleeve come this time of the year".

Brody Mihocek kicked an equal career high 5 goals after a recent form slump. That must have pleased you?
"Yeah, Checkers is probably a reflection of us in the last couple of weeks. He's just been a bit down on what he's produced. He's been our leading goal kicker for most of the year. Like all of us, we've just been a bit down. He's been working hard at his game to make amends. Tonight, he didn't want to get too carried away but I was rapt with his performance. He gave us a real presence down there. He's important to us isn't he".

Can you take us through the last 6 days with Nathan Murphy and how he managed to play tonight and how important he was for you guys?
"[He was] so critical. I honestly thought he wouldn't play for 2-3 weeks on Sunday. You go to the VFL looking for what ifs and maybes. I then roll into work on Monday and the doc goes 'I think Murph might be alright' and I said 'you're joking aren't you' and then it was "Nah, he's presented really well'. Post game he was really sore and then within a couple of days, credit to him for what's done, he's found himself a chance to play. Then he trained well and here we are. He's performed extremely well".

What was your reaction to Jeremy Cameron's two out of bounds goals? Did you see it?
"I did see it on the big screen. I didn't think I need to make comment, the crowd were going alright weren't they. What can we do about it, really? It might be worth asking the AFL. They can all see it on the screen. I don't know the rules, but do they have the ability to look at the replay and say 'nah, that's definitely out of bounds', I'm not sure if they do? Only for goals? It is what it is, we make mistakes. I've made plenty in the last couple of weeks. We grow; you can't do much about it".

There were strong reactions to your premiership chances last week after the loss to Hawthorn and Nick Daicos' injury? How much of it was real and how much of it was hysteria?
"That is a great question. Being able to work through what's real and what's not is difficult. You get straight to work on the things you pride yourself on like our pressure and spirit. That really stood out at both levels; AFL and VFL. We thought that was real; so we had to get to work on that. The other stuff, the noise you can't really control that. We just live in this space of 'we need to get to work on that'. That part of our game can drive other parts of it. It's difficult what's real and what's not real. That's a challenge for us coaches to make sure the players see the facts".

Is Jeremy Howe a part of your forward line mix heading going forward?
"I'm not sure, [it depends on] what happens with Darcy [Moore]. We'll weigh that up on whether we need him down back. I'm not sure. He's a nice weapon to have isn't he? We can move him forward or back. I thought Billy Frampton was huge for us tonight to come in; he's been out of the team for a number of weeks, and save goals late. I know [Jeremy] Cameron kicked quite a number of goals. It was probably more about the bigger picture for us".

Challenges keep coming with Brisbane up next at Marvel. How confident are you heading into that match?
"I've always lived in the moment of having deep wins. There's plenty of time to talk about Brisbane, so we'll just nestle in this one for a bit longer".

John Noble and Jordan De Goey seemed to get some knocks. How did they pull up?
"Nobes rolled his ankle slightly and went off to get treatment and was able to get through the game, so I assume he might be a bit of a watch early in the week to see how he is progressing with that. [De Goey] he's got a little knock as well. This time of the year we're all getting plenty of knocks including the coaches".

HUGE win. Brilliant after QT where our high intense football resurfaced.

Tonight showed that this team is more than just one or two players propping us up.

One step closer to being minor premiers and securing an all important home Qualifying Final.

Epic game, the boys really stood up with Darcy going down. Markov did some amazing things initially to help turn the tide. WHE was effective, then once we clicked into gear it was show time.

Lipinski I thought had some poor efforts, but worked his way back into some form. Very impressed with how Degoey persevered.

I have been saying for every we should preemptively rest players, and especially now we have too 2 guaranteed!!!

McStay is a monster up forward, definitely straightens us up!

Ginis IQ is through the roof, his effort back with the flight was awesome.

Speaking of IQ, will be pretty poor if he doesn’t get AA this year.

Hill was as influential as I’ve seen, although those that follow the stat line probably won’t agree.

Pendles is clearly slowing down, gets caught in transition and defending too often these days. Still as impactful as ever ball in hand.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haven’t read the past pages…

Gini - take a bow. By far and away the best game played. Including Anzac Day. He was unbelievably clean. One touch. Maybe 3 or 4 goals were due to this. This game makes me a believer. Well done.

Murph- looked like Moore. Crazy.

Mcstay- far out!!! You have transformed our fwd line. Was t apparent to many…

Mids broke even….amazing what effort can do.
Tonight was a 30pt win disguised as a 8 pt win. Let cats think it was close….

We’ve done what we need to re capture form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose both it may come down to percentage

Agree and if we lose both while Brisbane and Melbourne win all 3 our % will very likely be lower than theirs given it is similar at the moment. Impossible to lose and not lose percentage when you’re 126%.

Last edited:
Was gutted with the effort at quarter time. Half time I was genuinely sitting there thinking "f***, these boys are genuinely having a crack".

At 3/4 time I couldn't be happier with the intent and pressure despite looking like we were about to play 3 men down.

At the end of full time proud as f**k of all the boys tonight. Backs against the wall and under a tonne of pressure they delivered without their captain and spiritual leader.

A season defining win in my opinion. Full of heart.

I do find it intriguing that people expect positivity in the game day thread when the team is playing like shite. Most intriguing! It is often a place to vent so just embrace it and don't read too much into it. You may also notice that the mood tends to shift dramatically when we start to play well, funny how that also happens! We are all emotional beings, it is what it means to be human and a passionate football fan.

Venting/carrying on like a frightened child. Same same.

When posters make outlandish calls for X to never play again, it’s just soft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

20230811_234250-png.1771431

We cant be too hard on the umpires. They were unsighted, all 4 of them.

I keep saying he’ll regret those words

He’s done it twice this year.

First time he talked about how he’s not stressed about their form and “if they have to win every game for the rest of the year to make it they will”

Then “We are the danger”

Like, dude…just shut up

Coaches use the media to talk to their players as a collective quite often, but I'd be surprised if a majority of the Cats playing list even enjoyed playing under Chris Scott as a coach. He'd have to be a sook behind closed doors as well, wouldn't he?

I still think it's telling that McRae, Brown, Voss and a couple of others are all mates. But whenever anyone tries to make a "mate vs mate" reference when McRae coaches against either Scott brother, it gets shut down pretty quickly 😂

Thought it was bizarre to leave Pendles in the middle as much as we did. On Danger no less. Was made to look kinda slow again.

Legit shocked we didn’t send Beau in there to lock down on Danger in the last.

Reading the Cats board and I kinda feel like we watched 2 different games lol

If Jeremy Cameron played for us you could ink us in for the next 5 flags. What a f*cking animal of a player.

Great to be back on the winner's list.

This is a myth

If he played for Collingwood he wouldn’t get looked after the same way or kick as accurately. Ditto Curnow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 22 = Collingwood 109-101 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back