Prediction Round 24 Changes vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing how 1 moment may have flipped our season.

What was the score when treacy injured his knee we were up by 19 or 25 and on the attack in the last.

He came back on but the game had turned in that 5 mins and we were behind by a goal.

My last 48 hours have been haunted by these moments, our season is full of them
  • Clark getting his dissent free v Carlton
  • Pearce holding on to that mark in the forward 50 v Port
  • Sharps kick to win the game v Collingwood
  • Centre bounce v bombers when scores were tied at the end with bugger all time left
Etc etc

Perfect.

GWS beat Bulldogs and/or St Kilda beat Carlton.
Freo beat Port.

Then we've got Pearce, Darcy and Treacy cherry-ripe for finals.

With a full-strength team we go over to Brisbane and shock the AFL world with an incredible upset win.

I haven't yet decided if we beat GWS or Port in the semi-final, but it could go right down to the wire.

I'd we do, unfortunately the travel pressure will get to us in the Prelim and we will fall short but gallantly - but we are bookmarked to go deep in 2025.

2025 we win the flag.

Thanks!

Honesty who does he play Infront of in the midfield? Fyfe maybe but Fyfe can go forward & give a contest at worst. Brodie doesn't do that, so he's midfield or bench

I would like to think JOM. As much as JOM can head forwards and kick the odd goal I have no doubt, if directed, Brodie could do the same. And if Fyfe is our most important in and under, then we need someone to replace him when he tired by the late 3rd/4th quarter.

This is the 2nd time we've gone into the last round of the season needing a win against Port Adelaide to make the finals.

The first time was in 2005, the week after we beat St Kilda at home with Longmuir's goal after the siren. We were in 7th spot with 44 pts well ahead by percentage on Melbourne in 8th with the same points, and half a game ahead of Port Adelaide who were outside the 8. Also a game behind were Brisbane but with a better percentage. Port beat us to knock us out of the finals, Melbourne won and Brisbane lost, but Western Bulldogs who were a game and 3% behind us managed to overtake us on percentage and finish 9th by winning by 40+ points - which was about the same margin we lost to Port by - so Fremantle finished 10th. Port then went on to win their away elimination final against NM by 87pts before being knocked out by the Crows in the 2nd week of finals.

There was another time in 2007 when our opponents were Port in the final round, where we had to rely on St Kilda and Adelaide losing and also getting in on percentage over Adelaide with them losing big and us winning big to make up the 5% difference if both sides finished on 44 points. As it turned out Adelaide won on the Friday night but we had already decided we wouldn't take the challenge at Thursday selection by dropping 6 senior players (Headland, Grover, Dodd, Peake, Hasleby and Solomon) - the first 4 disciplined for drinking alcohol midweek and the latter 2 for missing a recovery session.

Last edited:
The club lied. I can only assume to keep the oppo guessing because tricking fans doesn't help.
There are probably some things that project weakness and are more embarrassing than pulling that old stunt with team selection, naming a player you know won't play and then withdrawing him an hour before the game. I'm just struggling to think what they are

Don't leave, I've never seen another poster with more posts than likes before.
I have always enjoyed your posts.

I loved your posts in part one of the Justin Longmuir thread.

You want the dockers flag at all costs? So do I

But yeah.... You know as well as I do this will be a tough road to go on

In all honesty I don't think GWS will have much motivation this game now that they have top 4 sewn up.

With Geelong losing on Saturday it's now almost impossible for GWS to have to play in Melbourne week 1 which they would have wanted to avoid, so win or lose they'll be playing in Sydney or Adelaide. Why would they fear port in Adelaide when they know port are susceptible to the pressure of a high stakes home final, seeing they knocked them off there last year? I think they'll be in preservation mode. By contrast the doggies have much more on the line. I think unfortunately the dogs win.

I think Saints at marvel against Carlton is the one that's most likely to get it done for us
Ummm.... GWS want to beat the dogs and for Freo to beat port Adelaide to get top 2.

I really want a non Vic side to win a grand final

Well they certainly tricked Geelong.

I suppose it's making sense now why Reidy went over for the Essendon game. They were 50/50 on Darcy but played him and he was horrendous and looked pampered.

Like this?
5dd5ca7bfc9cdf4a5da4ee36cbd8ef88.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ummm.... GWS want to beat the dogs and for Freo to beat port Adelaide to get top 2.

I really want a non Vic side to win a grand final
Yes same. For years I was dreading the possibility of GWS and gold coast winning a flag before us, leaving us the only bridesmaid, but I am actually quite relaxed about it now. GWS are a good team and I am completely over this Vicbias AFL

It's amazing how 1 moment may have flipped our season.

What was the score when treacy injured his knee we were up by 19 or 25 and on the attack in the last.

He came back on but the game had turned in that 5 mins and we were behind by a goal.
Amiss had a shot, missed.

Switkowski, for the ****ing love of me, up by 25 points decides to go INSIDE when he’s 25 m out from goal in the pocket.

There was still enough time.

I would like to think JOM. As much as JOM can head forwards and kick the odd goal I have no doubt, if directed, Brodie could do the same. And if Fyfe is our most important in and under, then we need someone to replace him when he tired by the late 3rd/4th quarter.
JOM plays on wing, Brodie isn’t a wingman he’s an inside midfielder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JOM never was a wingman before coaches decided he could be one.
Why can’t Brodie ?

They have tried Brodie as a wingman at Peel earlier in the season a few times , in anticipation that they may play him there but basically:
  • He doesn't have the running capacity even at WAFL level;
  • He struggles to get to the defensive spaces he needs to as a wing; and
  • He is also indecisive with his kicking in that role and doesn't take advantage of the extra space or time well.
You could argue that puts him on par with someone like Acres but Acres (and JOM) have some much greater endurance than Brodie and puts himself in the right spaces, and Acres whilst not accurate by foot is also not indecisive about his kicking.

He was never going to play. People on here called it days before.

He played injured vs Essendon (was a liability) and was in doubt all week. People acted like subbing Taberner in was a last minute call we had to make, what's more head scratching is that that had to have been the plan all week.

No way we should be playing a 60%, unfit Darcy when Reidy looked quite useful and will only grow from his first game. JL needs to stop playing injured players. Rushing Darcy and Pearce back in various games is costing us in both availability and wins.

I think I'll have take on a psychological boot camp to prepare for the extreme amounts of emotional fluctuations I may be exposed to this Sunday.

The one I am most afraid of is 'catastrophic ennui' with our game being a dead rubber, spending the entirety of it contemplating alternate timelines.

JOM never was a wingman before coaches decided he could be one.
Why can’t Brodie ?
JOM is filling the role I agree it isn’t his most suitable position. He is reasonably versatile - seen him play wing, HFF, even filled HBF.

I can’t stress how bad Brodie’s endurance is. He is at the back of the pack battling it out with the likes of Knobel and co. and being lapped by midfielders in time trials. In one of final seasons with GC there was an article about him running a personal best in their time trial. What they failed to mention was all the players were clapping him as he finished.

In 2022 we had lost Cerra and Fyfe was injured. He regularly played around 55-65% TOG. When on he was good at extracting the ball but zero spread and accountability.

I’m not sure why Walls signed him up for 3 years post 2022. I’m not sure if he presented back for PS at the start of 2023 in worse condition but earlier in the 2023 season he really struggled (badly) and seems they have pretty much marked his card since. I’m expecting that they will shop him around but we might end up moving Brodie to Rookie list if a list spot needs to be opened up - a bit like Connor Blakely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 24 Changes vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back