Prediction Round 24 Changes vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

Or give away dumbass 50m penalties with the game on the line.
Neither of Hogan's 50s should have been 50 (particularly the first one where he straight out stooged the ump). The second one he went flying like he'd been clotheslined from hell from a pretty gentle nudge.

Of course if Bailey hadn't been dumb enough to put his hands up it wouldn't have happened so..

Yeah that's a punishment call if I've ever seen one. Shame as Banfield has had his best year with us, and will likely be remembered for that 50m penalty brain fade.

Will never forget Walters securing us Top 4 in the last round of 2014... against Port at home too! They sunk us in thr semi final but let's forget that...

Amazing he's still with us in 2024, hopefully he can produce something special.

Neither of Hogan's 50s should have been 50 (particularly the first one where he straight out stooged the ump). The second one he went flying like he'd been clotheslined from hell from a pretty gentle nudge.

Of course if Bailey hadn't been dumb enough to put his hands up it wouldn't have happened so..

The 50 was just the icing on the cake though.

Those dropped chest marks I50 under no pressure that were whisked down the other end for goals... that snap on his preferred foot under no pressure that would have put us in front that went OOB... that HB to Jackson to get tackled when he had two men 20m in the clear I50... it was about as costly an individual game as I can remember.

No borderline B22 player like Banfield should survive a game like that, yet I still feared he would.

Yes it was unfortunate. Jesse played it well to milk it. He had a fistful of the guernsey and so banners tried to push one hand away with the other pushed on his chest and Jesse went flying.

So a bit of player trivia... assuming Sonny takes the field he will overtake Shane Parker to move into outright 7th place in all time games played for Freo this weekend.

Surprised to learn this is the first time Banfield has been ommitted in 2024.

Amazing how some players can be dropped for one mistake, whilst others just cruise through the season.
Surprised to learn this is the first time Banfield has been ommitted in 2024.

I’m not. He’s been decent all season. Played a number of roles- hard ones at that. And has been solid.

So a bit of player trivia... assuming Sonny takes the field he will overtake Shane Parker to move into outright 7th place in all time games played for Freo this weekend.
Him and Fyfe should play on next season and get 250. They’re still serviceable and good enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing how some players can be dropped for one mistake, whilst others just cruise through the season.

Not really, there's always other factors at play.

• potential ceiling
  • strengths vs weaknesses
  • replaceability/competition for role

That's just a few... and I doubt anyone would argue Banfield scores highly on those metrics compared to (for example) another currently underperforming player like Jackson.

I also think it's generous to Banfield to declare his dropping is based on one mistake when he's been anonymous to poor for weeks now.

Everyone loves to overplay Banners mistakes and underplays his value to the team. Sure, he makes mistakes , but if every player gets each of their PBP scrutinized as much as he does we would be omitting players on weekly basis. You can even read the game day threads. Every time he makes an error he gets hung. Every time he does a kick or handball that sets up a goal, praise for the goal kicker and crickets for him. Those saying he had a bad month, he was one of our best against bombers.

Having said that, I don't mind him getting a rest this game. It does seem that he was getting unusually frustrated lately, perhaps with the role he has been given and the scrutiny so probably needs it. Fatigue factor setting in as the season went on, inhibiting his execution or staying in the moment leading to errors. Playing more up ground and wing and games than he has done

Last edited:
The 50 was just the icing on the cake though.

Those dropped chest marks I50 under no pressure that were whisked down the other end for goals... that snap on his preferred foot under no pressure that would have put us in front that went OOB... that HB to Jackson to get tackled when he had two men 20m in the clear I50... it was about as costly an individual game as I can remember.

No borderline B22 player like Banfield should survive a game like that, yet I still feared he would.
Contract extension kiss of death lives on.

JOM named on field so not likely to be Sub, we usually play with 7 forwards and 7 backs, so one of the 3 mids on the bench is likely to be sub, I really hope it’s not NOD but thinks it’s likely.

JOM named on field so not likely to be Sub, we usually play with 7 forwards and 7 backs, so one of the 3 mids on the bench is likely to be sub, I really hope it’s not NOD but thinks it’s likely.

Would be insane not to start NOD after his form last week.

I reckon Walters or Fyfe will get the vest. I might be crazy but I feel like they’re finally admitting both of them are only really effective in short bursts.

History & reality though probably supports your call.

Would be insane not to start NOD after his form last week.

I reckon Walters or Fyfe will get the vest. I might be crazy but I feel like they’re finally admitting both of them are only really effective in short bursts.

History & reality though probably supports your call.
Walters odds on.

Fyfe subbed off would not surprise me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 24 Changes vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back