Toast Round 24 = Melbourne 57-103 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbf I think they made that assessment before they found out Moore had been concussed.
Whole year, they have been saying if you elect to bump, you have a duty of care.

Now all of a sudden it doesn't matter and the excuses come out?

Pickett could have played the ball instead of bumping, surprised not one of those so called experts came out with that point.

Even though it was a dead rubber, I was happy to see us finish it off the way we did. Disappointed not to be playing finals, but the way the season has gone with injuries etc, I'm pretty happy overall. I know I can watch this side and know they they don't roll over. Load up again next year and see what happens. Its not like theres a lot of sides that we cant beat on any given day.

I know Nick will probably win the Copeland, but if Darcy Cameron doesn't give him a real run, something is very wrong. Had a great year, often doing it on his own

I actually think Pickett might have been caught out by Moore going lower than he anticipated and he entered the contest expecting to bump shoulder on shoulder. I feel like bumping someone off the line of the ball and pouncing on the loose ball created is in the tool kit of small forwards like a Pickett, Hill etc.

Whatever the actual intent I doubt it will make a difference at the tribunal as the duty of care falls on those electing to bump and it will be argued he had other options available. That Moore was concussed only adds to his problems, as does his record.

Fly's presser

For a performance like that, can you harness that heading into the off-season?
"Tonight was pretty important for a lot of reasons. You talk about you come here with nothing on the end of the outcome really unless you kicked a ridiculous score. We built the week up around our fans and a higher purpose. You put the Collingwood jumper on and our incredible supporter base, we got to honour that and honour the jumper. Apparently there's close to 800,000 supporters who had to come to support us at home games. Thank you so much for the year. Clearly we're sitting here not where we want to be. I said to the playing group, 'We'll sit and watch finals with a bit of a sick feeling in our guts, because we want to be playing finals at this time of year'. But the game gives you feedback. We're here 24 rounds in, and the game tells you where you sit, and right now we sit on the out. We've got work to do".
It's obviously a new experience for you missing finals after qualifying in the previous two years, how are you approaching it on a personal level?
"It's been a challenging year. Every coach in every footy club will tell you their story, we've all got our own story to tell. It's going to be hard watching, it will be. You can say we're playing a brand of footy that may challenge a few in finals, but that's been a bit of pie in the sky stuff. We'd like to think that four of our last five games have been wins and our form, other than 10 minutes against the Swans, has been pretty strong. We're starting to steer the ship a little towards where we want to be, which is important to us".
It looks like you will be retaining most if not all the 30+ aged players on your list and it's well-documented that you are one of several clubs to have an extensive injury list this year. Do you feel if you keep everything together and get a good run, you can get into the top 8 next year?
"I haven't looked at the live ladder, but I can imagine we're only a couple of games off 2nd or 3rd [spot], I'm not sure. That's small margins isn't it? With all the story we want to run with, we're not far off based on 24 rounds, but we've still got work to do. This is a marathon of a season. We thought you needed 14 wins to get there, and that's reality of not getting there. We got 13 [wins] and we needed more than that. Lots of lessons learnt, lots of lessons learnt internally and then lots of lessons about individuals as well".
How much have you learnt about the younger players? All four of the younger players you brought in performed well tonight. Going forward, how important is that for regeneration of the group as well?
"So pleasing to see Ed Allan probably turn his last 4 or 5 weeks around at VFL level to really spike; 9 or 10 possessions more than what he had, clearances, contested possession. All the numbers and then to go out and do it out there. To transfer that form to AFL has given us all a little bit of excitement. We're going 'hang on a minute, this young kid is coming', which hopefully spurs him on to want more of that and then comes back bigger and hungrier. Some pleasing signs; Wil Parker, Joey Richards played a lot of footy, Charlie Dean did a job tonight. Throughout the year everyone got exposed so we learnt a lot about our list, which is important now to reset and go forward".
On Ed Allan, it was a deliberate decision to start him at the centre bounce. A bit responsibility for him, how did you see his performance?
"I'm probably going to repeat what I said. We're just rapt with his endeavour; his contest to contest. He's an elite runner. He's played 2 games, but it's really pleasing to see the 2nd game where we put him around where we wanted to be. We draft him as this guy. It's really pleasing to see him perform on the big stage".
Do you anticipate you will be busy in the Free Agency/Trade area when you look for improvements in your list?
"I hope so. We sit here wanting to improve, so whether that's acquisitions or bringing in talent to make us better, I'm hoping to be really busy. It's not my job, but I'll be pushing people, what's going on, let's look at all avenues to make us better".
Will a key forward to help out Dan McStay possibly be one to look at?
"I would love a key forward. Tonight we had none at some stage. I don't want to denigrate Dan [McStay] or Checkers, but they've been out for a major part of the year which has left a big hole. If you know any out there who wants to come and play for Collingwood, then let me know. They're hard to find".
40 disposals each for Nick and Josh Daicos. You must be happy to have those two on your team?
"Yeah, every week you must ask me about Nick. It's hard to add more layers to Nick. Josh in the last six weeks we've put him to half back and we got a spike. It's exciting. Metres gained, great ball use, overlap run. Every team wants a weapon off half back and Josh has become that for us. We take that away of the last six weeks with great comfort thinking this is going to be really important for us going forward".
Did Josh Daicos play under duress through stages this year?
"Yeah he did. He probably had three weeks where he didn't train at all. We had many like that, but we're not alone. I'm certain 18 clubs would have something similar".
Do you think this could be the performance that tips Nick Daicos over the edge to win a Brownlow Medal?
"Well, it would be nice for him to get rewarded. He's an elite player in the competition. There's a couple of really good players out there. We got exposed to Isaac Heeney in a quarter [and going] 'wow, that guy is a really good player'. I'm a massive fan of Bont [Marcus Bontempelli], massive fan. I watch him from afar. This mob next door, I haven't had a chance to reflect on Melbourne. Max Gawn is a player of a generation isn't he with the way he goes about it. They've had a tough year and they're a very competitive group so I wanted to pay my respect to Melbourne and Goody [Simon Goodwin] with the challenges ahead of him".
Darcy Cameron has been one of the success stories of the year for you guys. Was it good for his development to go up against one of the best rucks in Max Gawn?
"Yeah, he's gone forward a couple of big steps. His year this year would arguably be in the top 2 or 3 of our best players in our best and fairest. I'm not sure where that sits in the competition because I don't watch every game and every individual, but he's been an elite player in our team. Marking the ball extremely well, got sticky fingers. He's had a terrific season".
On the lightning break where there was 10 minutes to play in what was effectively a dead rubber, what do you say to your players in that moment to go 'come on boys, let's go again'?
"It's a crazy time because you don't know when and how. We're all sitting there waiting for confirmation on what it looks like. Pretty simple, we don't have long but coaches talked about where we were going to play players. The main message was we want to get to the line and we want to finish well for our fans. Don't let up. You see us fight to the last second last week. We want to fight to the last second every week. We're 10 goals down against the Hawks, we want to kick the last goal. That's the DNA and culture that we want. We want to fight, we're winners. We want to act like winners right to the end. A lot of behaviours we want to keep repeating so that was the main message. Get to the line and finish strong for our fans".
Was it a concussion for Darcy Moore?
"Yeah, he had some delayed symptoms at half time and made the call straight away. Seems okay in the rooms. I wasn't aware of the incident, so I can't comment on that".
Brayden Maynard being booed. Do you have anything to say to him about it?
"No, like I've said before at home when I'm watching footy and you hear booing, I just say to little Charlie, my 8 year old saying "Charlie, we don't boo, we're not booers in our household. That's just our household".

52 points on ladder and we miss
Unbelievable

Not really, we have teams playing 23 games now instead of 22 don't forget so it's not too much of a stretch for the traditional 12+ win target to increase to 13+ wins in most years (Sydney scraped into 8th last year with 12.5 wins).

It's also been a breath of fresh air to see how even the competition has been especially in the back half of the season, as opposed to usual schtick of the top 4/6/8 being decided weeks out, this defnititely has contributed to raising the bar for making it into the top 8 this year which personally I don't mind.

Last edited:
Actually shocked that Dixon and Brereton are talking sense about the Pickett incident.

They're spot on. Moore goes for the ball and Pickett deliberately bumps. It's irrelevant if Moore lowers his body.

I dunno, if you take a moment to play devil's advocate then you could easily put the case forward that it looks like Moore deliberately went to ground sliding at the last second and took Picketts legs out with some force if you watch it closely, at a point when Pickett would have reasonably been expecting and bracing for contact with both players keeping their feet as happens dozens of times in every single game of footy.

Could have easily been a free kick the other way I reckon without the accidental high contact, nowhere really for Pickett to go in this situation unless the AFL expects players to start making split second decisions to pull out of contests in slippery conditions, or leave themselves vulnerable to getting knocked out themselves.

Free kick, definitely. Suspension, I hope not because that's another nail in the coffin for contested footy. If the AFL keeps heading down that path and we'll be watching touch footy before too much longer.

"Brayden Maynard being booed. Do you have anything to say to him about it?"

Alex Neal-Bullen concussed Angus Brayshaw first, Dees fans should boo him.

Sydney loss was especially costly in the end. Had them and let it go.

Biggest issue was the 4 losses in a row after the bye. Just never seemed likely after that. We’ve actually exceeded my expectations to beat Carlton, Brisbane and Melbourne out of the last 4 games.

Two games were costly. Both in control of and in similiar winning positions, only to cough up a comfortable lead in both games in the last quarter. Those games were the Fremantle and Sydney games. We really should have had another 6 points from these two games.

I dunno, if you take a moment to play devil's advocate then you could easily put the case forward that it looks like Moore deliberately went to ground sliding at the last second and took Picketts legs out with some force if you watch it closely, at a point when Pickett would have reasonably been expecting and bracing for contact with both players keeping their feet as happens dozens of times in every single game of footy.

Could have easily been a free kick the other way I reckon without the accidental high contact, nowhere really for Pickett to go in this situation unless the AFL expects players to start making split second decisions to pull out of contests in slippery conditions, or leave themselves vulnerable to getting knocked out themselves.

Free kick, definitely. Suspension, I hope not because that's another nail in the coffin for contested footy. If the AFL keeps heading down that path and we'll be watching touch footy before too much longer.

The ball was on the ground, so where would Pickett expect Moore to be, standing up trying to pick up a ground ball?
Moore was hit with forearm, and hip. This could have been much worse, when you look at the way Moore’s neck bends to the side.
Sorry, but head contact causing concussion is immediately 2 weeks at least...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good signs with Allan, Parker and Richards - retain x3

Get McStay, Checkers and DeGoey fit again

Get 2- 3 others to step up - Steene, DeMattia ??

Trade in 1-2 others

We could be back up there next year

Go Pies

( Dogs for flag please).

PS - Wilson and Cornes both tipped Melbourne 👹👍

Last edited:
Can’t say that wasn’t one of the most bizarre finishes to a season that we’ll ever experience.

Nice way to finish the season despite no finals. Won 4 of our last 5 games and have some reason to be optimistic heading into 2025.

One of the highlights of the night was seeing Allan step up to the plate and kick his first career goal.

Best wishes to everyone in the off season. Here’s to a successful 2025.
Well all I can say is.
Go storm boys.

Yeah I agree. Free kick, could have gone the other way as well, just a footy act. Didn’t see anything that warranted a suspension.
If Nick did that to someone and got suspended this board would burn to the ground.

The Good

3 votes- N.Daicos
Ed Allan looks really good, pump as much centre bounce minutes as possible.
Richards so clean
Josh's best game
Cameron solidifying top 2 Copeland finish.
Lippa great finishing, still treacle slow

The Bad

Should of won by more
Schultz returned to a potato
Realisation we ****ed ourselves coughing up that 5 goal lead to Swans
Having to listen to Hodge commentate our last game
Parker was good

As Richo just pointed out, if we hadn't given up the last scores against Freo (thanks to the umpire!) and Essendon, we'd be in the eight. ☹️

Nevertheless, I'm so proud of our boys and thankful for all they gave to us this season. Billy MOTY and Nick GO T Y.

Tonight's win and the contribution of Allan and Parker made me very optimistic for next year and I can cope with a stress-free final series 😉
Even simpler - if we hadn’t buckled in the last quarter v the Dogs we’d be locked in now

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 24 = Melbourne 57-103 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back