Toast Round 24 = Melbourne 57-103 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Good signs with Allan, Parker and Richards - retain x3

Get McStay, Checkers and DeGoey fit again

Get 2- 3 others to step up - Steene, DeMattia ??

Trade in 1-2 others

We could be back up there next year

Go Pies

( Dogs for flag please).

PS - Wilson and Cornes both tipped Melbourne šŸ‘¹šŸ‘
I've got a Dogs supporting colleague who is a shit stirring fwit, no thanks. Carn Giants

Fly's presser

For a performance like that, can you harness that heading into the off-season?

It's obviously a new experience for you missing finals after qualifying in the previous two years, how are you approaching it on a personal level?

It looks like you will be retaining most if not all the 30+ aged players on your list and it's well-documented that you are one of several clubs to have an extensive injury list this year. Do you feel if you keep everything together and get a good run, you can get into the top 8 next year?

How much have you learnt about the younger players? All four of the younger players you brought in performed well tonight. Going forward, how important is that for regeneration of the group as well?

On Ed Allan, it was a deliberate decision to start him at the centre bounce. A bit responsibility for him, how did you see his performance?

Do you anticipate you will be busy in the Free Agency/Trade area when you look for improvements in your list?

Will a key forward to help out Dan McStay possibly be one to look at?

40 disposals each for Nick and Josh Daicos. You must be happy to have those two on your team?

Did Josh Daicos play under duress through stages this year?

Do you think this could be the performance that tips Nick Daicos over the edge to win a Brownlow Medal?

Darcy Cameron has been one of the success stories of the year for you guys. Was it good for his development to go up against one of the best rucks in Max Gawn?

On the lightning break where there was 10 minutes to play in what was effectively a dead rubber, what do you say to your players in that moment to go 'come on boys, let's go again'?

Was it a concussion for Darcy Moore?

Brayden Maynard being booed. Do you have anything to say to him about it?

"This mob next door, I haven't had a chance to reflect on Melbourne. Max Gawn is a player of a generation isn't he with the way he goes about it. They've had a tough year and they're a very competitive group so I wanted to pay my respect to Melbourne and Goody [Simon Goodwin] with the challenges ahead of him"."

I think I need to watch the video to get more context on this quote because... whaaaat? Challenges ahead of him? šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

"This mob next door, I haven't had a chance to reflect on Melbourne. Max Gawn is a player of a generation isn't he with the way he goes about it. They've had a tough year and they're a very competitive group so I wanted to pay my respect to Melbourne and Goody [Simon Goodwin] with the challenges ahead of him"."

I think I need to watch the video to get more context on this quote because... whaaaat? Challenges ahead of him? šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
I listened to it. Itā€™s really not clear what he was talking about.

Itā€™s 6 mins into the presser if you want to listen.

Not really, we have teams playing 23 games now instead of 22 don't forget so it's not too much of a stretch for the traditional 12+ win target to increase to 13+ wins in most years (Sydney scraped into 8th last year with 12.5 wins).

It's also been a breath of fresh air to see how even the competition has been especially in the back half of the season, as opposed to usual schtick of the top 4/6/8 being decided weeks out, this defnititely has contributed to raising the bar for making it into the top 8 of his year which personally I don't mind.
Even with the Sydney game as a win and finishing with 14 wins, we would be no guarantee. We'd be 5th tonight, but could end up 9th if the cats, hawks, dogs and blues all win. Would at least be a live chance but a crazy tight season.

Even with the Sydney game as a win and finishing with 14 wins, we would be no guarantee. We'd be 5th tonight, but could end up 9th if the cats, hawks, dogs and blues all win. Would at least be a live chance but a crazy tight season.
Add the extra 2 points we should have had from the Freo draw

I listened to it. Itā€™s really not clear what he was talking about.

Itā€™s 6 mins into the presser if you want to listen.
Could be a number of things.
Trac talk (although Goody reckons he stays for 5 yrs) Oliver fitness etc and Neal-Bullen leaving.
Pert remaining as CEO and constantly dribbling shit.
Oh, and who knows what pearls of wisdom Steven May will come up with at the B&F?

Are you serious?
We had 19 injuries at one point, and could well have finished much lower.
We deserved to play finals with 52 points.

Without playing the victim. No one is talking about two contentious umpire decisions Freo and Syd that would have us top four. We definitely got umpired differently in last quarters so itā€™s something Fly will have to adjust to over the summer. The media still talk about Adelaide missing last years finals over one decision.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Could be a number of things.
Trac talk (although Goody reckons he stays for 5 yrs) Oliver fitness etc and Neal-Bullen leaving.
Pert remaining as CEO and constantly dribbling shit.
Oh, and who knows what pearls of wisdom Steven May will come up with at the B&F?
They definitely would have smoked us if May played

With McStay in the side, I feel we could've gone further in September than Hawthorn, Freo, Carlton or Geelong will. None of those sides can take it up to Brisbane and Sydney, on their turf, like we can.
Weā€™ve made a few changes over the last 3-5 weeks and got a few players back from injury that no doubt contributed to our turnaround. A bit of what if weā€™d made them sooner, but perhaps opposition clubs work out a way to counter them.

Sidebottom - run with and a return to the centre square

Noble & Quaynor - wing

J Daicos - half back

McStay, Cox & McCreery - return from injury

Hill - not as much as the above, but played higher after the initial centre bounce especially late against the lions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just watched that portion of the press conference and I've still got no idea. My ears pricked up because I'm hoping he knows Petracca is leaving... but surely that's not it?
I donā€™t think it was a Petracca reference
Just a
Without playing the victim. No one is talking about two contentious umpire decisions Freo and Syd that would have us top four. We definitely got umpired differently in last quarters so itā€™s something Fly will have to adjust to over the summer. The media still talk about Adelaide missing last years finals over one decision.

Even tho we were ordinary against st kilda in round 2 we would have won if not for Leigh fisher and his bias that night

Freo and swans game probably fresher in memory but that was a disgrace that night

Did we see a small change in game plan last night heading forward? We were happy to possess the ball more and methodically move into the forward 50. I think Fly tried some subtle changes last night.

I noticed we were doing that in the VFL last week, so it could be a broader shift going forward

The ball was on the ground, so where would Pickett expect Moore to be, standing up trying to pick up a ground ball?
Moore was hit with forearm, and hip. This could have been much worse, when you look at the way Mooreā€™s neck bends to the side.
Sorry, but head contact causing concussion is immediately 2 weeks at least...

So there's no acknowledgement of the potentially dangerous act of Moore taking out Pickett's legs due to his deliberate decision to go to ground at the last moment and slide into the ball? It would be entirely reasonable to think that a player would keep their feet and not take the legs out from under an opponent in that situation, the sliding rule is in place to cut out that exact type of action from players after all. If Pickett comes out of that contact with a bad ankle injury or an ACL and is out an extended period does that change anything?

I know we've got blinkers on this one for obvious reasons, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as most on here would think after having watched it again multiple times - Moore definitely contributed to the contact significantly in a way Pickett couldn't have anticipated or most likely avoided in the time he had to do so when it looked like a regular bit of body contact in the process of pushing the ball towards the boundary line coming in.

Where the MRO / tribunal end up on this is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pickett does get off.

So there's no acknowledgement of the potentially dangerous act of Moore taking out Pickett's legs due to his deliberate decision to go to ground at the last moment and slide into the ball? It would be entirely reasonable to think that a player would keep their feet and not take the legs out from under an opponent in that situation, the sliding rule is in place to cut out that exact type of action from players after all. If Pickett comes out of that contact with a bad ankle injury or an ACL and is out an extended period does that change anything?

I know we've got blinkers on this one for obvious reasons, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as most on here would think after having watched it again multiple times - Moore definitely contributed to the contact significantly in a way Pickett couldn't have anticipated or most likely avoided in the time he had to do so when it looked like a regular bit of body contact in the process of pushing the ball towards the boundary line coming in.

Where the MRO / tribunal end up on this is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pickett does get off.
Pickett gonski.

Sliding is discouraged, but I only see 2 alternatives for Moore.

- bend down to pick up the footy, likely still gets concussed

- stay upright play the man instead of the ball. At best it results in a throw in, at worst he gets bumped off the ball and the thug gets a run towards goal or the ump pinges Moore for deliberate out of bounds.

Itā€™s reasonable to foresee that Moore will bend down and lower his head to contest the footy. That heā€™s taken another action (going to knees) to get there doesnā€™t change that or the duty of care owed.

The alternatives available for Pickett were

- bend down and put his head over the footy himself

- remain front on and take contact from Moore.

While I think the intent was to bump Moore and run onto the footy rather than bracing for contact, the latter is no longer an acceptable action.

Heā€™ll get weeks. Canā€™t see the AFL not going to the tribunal and seeking 4-5 weeks. The dees will hope for 3, which is the minimum for careless > severe impact > high contact.

Great win to end the season. I have been a little pessimistic about next year, but my views have changed a bit.

Ed is going to be a player. He went in hard a few occasions and is a big chance for Rising Star nom this week.

I still think Fin MCrae will make it. He just has to believe and part of that is to be giving a long stint to prove himself. Bringing him in for one game and making him sub is not ideal. I reckon Fin will have this breakout game which will give him that belief. A bit like Andrew Symons.

Darcy is very good and must be a big chance for AA team.
Cox is so important to our structure. Some solid marks and ruck work. That pick up and handball to Pendles was sublime.
I'm so glad Bobby Hill came to the Pies. He'll always be a fav after winning the Norm but some of his work is skillful

I'm heading Overseas and won't be around PF and GF weekend so half glad I won't miss anything amazing.

Well Moore was playing the ball. Pickett was coming in from the side, it was a ground ball, so it's reasonable to think that the player going for a ground ball is going to lower their body, and head position.
Pickett comes in from the side and contacts the head with forearm and hip.
When Moore is lowering his body, to more than likely put his body over the ball, why not tackle and try for a holding the ball?
I can see why people think Pickett should get off, but considering the contact was high, and Moore was concussed, by the rules under the protection of the player, playing the ball and getting hit in the head, then concussed, he's going to get 2 weeks at least. ..

Canā€™t underestimate the bounce and enthusiasm a few new faces brings to the team
Even tho Melbourne were garbage we looked really energised and team focussed
Just like early in year when we had all those injuries

Well Moore was playing the ball. Pickett was coming in from the side, it was a ground ball, so it's reasonable to think that the player going for a ground ball is going to lower their body, and head position.
Pickett comes in from the side and contacts the head with forearm and hip.
When Moore is lowering his body, to more than likely put his body over the ball, why not tackle and try for a holding the ball?
I can see why people think Pickett should get off, but considering the contact was high, and Moore was concussed, by the rules under the protection of the player, playing the ball and getting hit in the head, then concussed, he's going to get 2 weeks at least. ..

To be fair I think he will probably cop 2-3 weeks for it because that's the way the MRO goes with these nowadays, just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he got off as well given the circumstances because they'd at least have a case to argue. I reckon Pickett was going to get there first if Moore had kept his feet, which is why Moore chose to slide in desperation to get the ball away from him because he (Moore) knew he was likely cooked if it came down to a contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 24 = Melbourne 57-103 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back