Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

We are a very fit team.
Biggest take away for me too. Running all over them in the last and they are not an old team.

Meh to the umpiring, they just moved us up the draft next year. Even the result isn't a massive deal for me. Yet another fantastic learning expertise in from of a big crowd.

I dont think I've been this 'not unhappy' after a loss in a long long time

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The kids are alright…

Only wish we’d invested in them earlier.

Those on here making the “because kid” jokes for the last few years look pretty silly now.
Which kids from today should we have invested time in the senior team earlier? Most of them have gone straight in when fit (Worpel, Morrison, Scrimshaw, Day, Lewis, Newcombe, DGB, Macdonald, Ward), others have become cemented once they actually performed in a role (CJ, Moore, Nash), and the other two today (Maginness, Reeves) didn't exactly play that well and could potentially be replaced next week.

Yeah we both looked gassed which is why we couldn't put them to the sword. Was just 2 punch drunk boxers throwing hay makers at the end.
Yep, not good enough for long enough

US:
Young side blown away in the 1st qtr by what appeared to be a bigger harder side. The next 3 qtrs say a lot about what our players have between the ears. Very impressive
THEM:
A more experienced side with some exceptional talent. The blistering 1st qtr shows their potential but they still have to shake the carlol out of their psyche after having been rubbish for soooo long
They aren't quite a good side, a good side would have obliterated a young side like ours, given the start they had.

A win would have been a better ending for us but I hope we still made them think that they are still carlol

Biggest take away for me too. Running all over them in the last and they are not an old team.

Meh to the umpiring, they just moved us up the draft next year. Even the result isn't a massive deal for me. Yet another fantastic learning expertise in from of a big crowd.

I dont think I've been this 'not unhappy' after a loss in a long long time

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Same here regarding feeling good after loss.
Would love to of won obviously but a loss may of give us a false sense of been a little ahead of where we really are

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Denver was good after quarter time but the reality that he is not currently a key position defender was exclamation marked in the first.
Was an unfair match up.

Thought Frost was valient as an undersized defensive match up on McKay, keeping him goaless after quarter time.

Can someone please explain how an opposition ruckman can run in, slip over, take out our rucks legs and still get the free kick?????

Which kids from today should we have invested time in the senior team earlier? Most of them have gone straight in when fit (Worpel, Morrison, Scrimshaw, Day, Lewis, Newcombe, DGB, Macdonald, Ward), others have become cemented once they actually performed in a role (CJ, Moore, Nash), and the other two today (Maginness, Reeves) didn't exactly play that well and could potentially be replaced next week.

The 2020 loss to Essendon was when I wanted Clarko moved on. Or at least the wheels to be set in motion. Once Minchington was selected over Dylan Moore the band-aid needed to be pulled swiftly IMO.

Also, Finn again struggled for consistent impact today, but his composure and desire to take the game on was better than any of his previous games. He's a strong lad and not easy to take down. I'm convinced at this point that he'll be one of those players who suddenly explodes overnight.
Can win it on the outside due to his tank, but provides genuine fight and strength inside the contest. It will all come together at some point.

Last edited:
My 2c on players:

- Nash played a really great game, one that will go under the radar in the eyes of the public, but he wore down Pitto in the second and third, every ruck dual around the ground he may not have won, but bloody hell did he aim to make Pitto/TDK earn it. Constant physical aggression and knocking really got us in this one. Also had excellent ball usage again today.

- Newc is a star. One of the things that I think is a real talent is his ability when he's sprawled on all fours to still be a physical threat and to throw his body around at angles that he shouldn't be able to. Some incredible tap work from him on the ground today. Arguably also my favourite kick going into 50.

- Morrison played his role very well today. His kicking has always been a highlight, but I liked some of his handballing today a lot.

- Ward did as all first year players do and drifted in and out of this one. Had some stellar moments- after his first season I think he's going to explode.

- Macca is going to be special. I get the feeling our mids won't be getting any rising star nods early, but jeez I'd be surprised if all of Newc, Macca and Ward weren't given the nod eventually.

- Cj was the highlight for the world for us, but I think Frost and Hardwick were our most important defenders in this one. Seriously impressive games all round.

- Worpel looking very good- warming into the season nicely. Jom and Titch will be hoping the BHH were smashed...

- DGB should be in the frame for a rising star after this one, but a lot of his impact isn't flashy on the stats sheet so who will know... Best game in hawks colours by far

- Thought Sic had a few moments he'd want back in this one. Well on his way to his form of a couple years back though

- Unpopular, but I think this was a solid game from JOM. When he was moved onto Cripps he did a really good job of nullifying the man who reamed us in the first. Problem for him is that he needs to be significantly more than that.

Umpiring had an impact, but us getting smashed in the first ultimately cost us. Really impressive effort- important to note that we are in for a year with a lot of those first quarters, so long as we continue to tick all the boxes we want ticked as the season progresses we should be happy regardless of who gets the points on the ladder.
If we end up with between 5-10 wins, but show that effort in most of our losses that would be massive for us moving forward, would make us a v attractive club to play for in 2023, and would help our draft haul- something we can hopefully continue to capitalise on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh my mistake. But can we stop with all the younger team crap. BOTH teams are young and inexperienced. The Hawks will get younger over the next couple of years as those 150 gamers begin to retire.
No, most of your team are genuine 25 year olds who are in their prime and ready to explode, it's why you're in the conversation as "contenders" atleast for Finals, possible finals wins.

We're rebuilding because all of ours is skewed between under 22 and older heads.

I had two Carlton supporting mates making the trip down today.

One I have a yearly bet with on this contest with a 6 pack of Brookvale Union Ginger Beer on the line.

I had to message both of them first about 2 hours after the game concluded. There was no bragging. No arrogance. Both knew they were lucky and it could have gone either way.

I think having to play Nash ruck really hurt our defensive set up at stoppages. Playing tom Mitchell on Cripps was just a nightmare. He tried but he was far too small.

I think Reeves only playing 64 percent TOG is the real killer for the game. Nash has to play far too much ruck and our rotations are all out of whack. As some others have said, we needed Nash standing next to Cripps and their big mids to keep that physical pressure up.

Denver was good after quarter time but the reality that he is not currently a key position defender was exclamation marked in the first.
Was an unfair match up.

Thought Frost was valient as an undersized defensive match up on McKay, keeping him goaless after quarter time.

Can someone please explain how an opposition ruckman can run in, slip over, take out our rucks legs and still get the free kick?????

Not sure which umpires, but too ready to judge when seeing the aftermath and not the incident

The 2020 loss to Essendon was when I wanted Clarko moved on. Or at least the wheels to be set in motion. Once Minchington was selected over Dylan Moore the band-aid needed to be pulled swiftly IMO.

Also, Finn again struggled for consistent impact today, but his composure and desire to take the game on was better than any of his previous games. He's a strong lad and not easy to take down. I'm convinced at this point that he'll be one of those players who suddenly explodes overnight.
Can win it on the outside due to his tank, but provides genuine fight and strength inside the contest. It will all come together at some point.
Moore by his own admission wasn't performing to the level he needed to prior to the final round of 2020. Once he showed what he was capable of he was re-signed and has been a staple of the team since then.

I agree that we continue to persist with Finn from here as there are good signs each week. But a lot of his growth has come over this past pre-season and he's so far played every game. He hasn't previously demanded games with his VFL form in the time he's been on the list. We wouldn't have been any better off by giving him more games prior to this season. On the contrary we'd have probably lost more games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back