Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that we have played three matches and our midfield has been beaten quite comfortable across all three matches yet we have won 2 and lost 1 (by a solitary point) really goes to the strength of Sams coaching in my opinion.

He is smart enough to know that our midfield is undermanned and out gunned yet has fashioned a game plan that seeks to minimize that disadvantage and emphasizes the strengths of our team (run of half back and dangerous forwards)

I’ve always felt you learn more from a narrow loss than a narrow win.
Great effort from the boys, our defence and forward lines are really doing the job.
Centre clearances and the midfield in general is our achilles heel but we knew that.
Is it too early in their careers to build the midfield around Ward, Day and McDonald?o_O

DGB could be something if he doesn't end up dogged by injury. I think he's been injured in half his games so far. Concussion, ankle, etc.

He went back with the flight on two occasions in the last quarter. Against the likes of McKay and Curnow steaming behind him.

Pretty surprised he jumps so high even with the weight of his massive balls.

ecad68ca445bb99dd21d17044905e1cd.gif

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If we hadn't have gotten jumped so comprehensively, we'd have won this.

So many positives with young players fighting their way back into the game, Ward and McDonald along with DGB, Jiath, Morrison and others taking over after a really shaky start. Moore was good all day. Bruest is still at the peak of his powers, Wingard got into the game as well.

Carlton wanted the ball more early, they worked harder to give their team mates options and willed themself into that strong lead.

Fortunately it cost them a lot of petrol tickets.

Will be interesting to see what happens with our runners who lack polish under pressure long term. Do they improve, or are we going to need to find more players?

Hopefully DGB gets up for next week, Scrimshaw too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder why we get so comprehensively smashed in the centre clearances. It’s been happening for 3 years.
Our centre square clearance track record is like we play every week with a top weight handicap.

We just know we are going to get dominated in the middle and we have to work that much harder to compensate and overcome that disadvantage.

To the boys absolute credit we almost did today but it would be nice to just draw even in the centre clearances as we have talent across a lot of lines in the team.

Me and my seized up butthole want to tell you ... respect. Mitchell has your boys playing some great footy and I can see it getting you back into the 8 this year. Always liked seeing the Hawks win in their 3 peat and massively respect the drive not to go down the ladder for a moment later than you need to.

I do wonder why we get so comprehensively smashed in the centre clearances. It’s been happening for 3 years.
Agree but I’ll say this , their mids are gifted a lot of advantage.
there were plenty of incorrect Disp in there not paid that opens space for their clearance .

Very proud of that effort after the 1st quarter. Something great is building at the home of the hawks!
Some good kids coming through at the moment. It won’t be long and we will have our premiership for this decade to keep the run going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back