Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not part of the problem he is the problem. Him and his ego and total lack of awareness as the leader of our football club. He's a cancer and needs to go.

It starts with Koch as he has to make the decisions but Hinkley is also a problem. His game plan stinks. We have no teamwork or system in what we are doing. What is more the lack of system exists in the Port Magpies as well, they were woeful yesterday.

It starts with Koch as he has to make the decisions but Hinkley is also a problem. His game plan stinks. We have no teamwork or system in what we are doing. What is more the lack of system exists in the Port Magpies as well, they were woeful yesterday.
We're all aware of Hinkley and the issues, that's not up for debate.

But who enables Hinkley and has done while thumbing his nose at the obvious? Koch has, since 2017 and continues to. He's the enabler of Hinkley.

I actually feel gutted for every past player that's pulled on any of our jumpers, for past admin and our older supporters having to witness what ken and koch have done to this club. The loss doesn't hurt, I couldn't care less and if it helps move that fraud out of the coaches box then great, but I hurt for our history, our heritage and everything our past greats did to give us the opportunity to play at the highest level, for this team, coaches and admin to piss all over it as they are doing is criminal.

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is how I feel & I was lucky enuf to see some very strong Magpie teams. I sat there late in the third qtr not caring at all about the result because the clubs issues go way deeper than this result. I attended a few training sessions, the intraclub trial & watched the pre-season games. It was clear the players were not playing with the required level of intensity & the skills displayed during this period were terrible. The reserves result yesterday (didn't see the game) is equally as concerning as the firsts result. I fear how long it will take to rebuild the club. I've felt Ken wasn't the man to take us to a flag since mid 2015 & it's been a long, frustrating journey. He just isn't smart enough to coach at elite level & that has been abundantly clear from listening to his post-game interviews. He does however create a nice environment for the players but I believe this has led to a soft mentality. I dont care if we lose every game this year if it means our procrastinating leadership will finally get rid of him. But the influence of Koch will still remain. Our coaching panel has too many ex Port players. I don't want Carr as coach, I want someone from a successful Vic club who has the confidence & tactical brains to blow the place apart & stand up to Koch.

Last edited:

Kenny's presser was insightful....we actually don't expect our defenders to be able to win one on ones. It's all about the ball pressure and someone else rolling off to help.

Our game plan is to not be accountable...
It's always been getting numbers back to help the zone defence. The current players can't play one on one defence. Jonas & McKenzie could but they are slowing up.

If there is any truth to suggestions Hinkley's mental health could be at risk - geez cry me a river!

He doesn't have to be a martyr at Alberton to the uncaring white noise brigade, and can always give himself a break from the pressure and move to some quiet little oasis in country Victoria, and count his millions.
He could even do the talk show circuit about the how he was crucified at the unforgiving altar of true believers.

The above aside, my opinion is he will hang in there for as long as possible and we won't see the last of him before the end of the season, because as sure as god made little green apples the kokmeister simply doesn't have the cajones to do what is right for the club and pull the pin on him any earlier.

At the moment I'm willing to try Charlie Dixon in the backline if it means we will win the one on ones

No atmosphere? Quietest showdown? I thought the atmosphere was great.

Hinkley is gone though.
You obviously haven't been to many Port games. It was quiet as hell.

The only moment the crowd got going was the SPP goal in the last. Other than that, crickets.

It sounded like the atmosphere you get at a Crows game.

Last edited:
Something about our defence. We have our two leaders who are currently out of form and/or too old. Their skills and decision making also aren’t up to the standard required to be in contention.
Clurey and to a lesser extent McKenzie are triers but again aren’t up to nullifying the better key forwards.
Then we have the rest. Currently I see them all as cruisers. Aliir, Burton, Houston, Bonner, Farrell. Nowhere near the intensity or toughness to put any sort of fear in the opposition. Some great skills amongst some, when allowed time and space but the one on one defensive aspect isn’t strong. Burton is probably the best user when in the clear. Bonner is living off his ‘21 PF heroics for some here. Houston seemingly picks and chooses when to bring it. Farrell looks sweet when he kicks but is he really that damaging? I don’t think he is. What he lacks in vigour he doesn’t make up with his other attributes. I was excited at the idea of Aliir after his AA season but he’s nowhere near that and again there’s a cruisey element to his game. I think the coach has to take a lot of the blame that they’ve been allowed to play that way for a long time. Under Hinkley I have always felt that when under pressure and not receiving the required backup from those further up the ground, the defence has mostly been shaky and just leak goals.

You obviously haven't been to many Port games. It was quiet as hell.

The only moment the crowd got going was the SPP goal in the last. Other than that, crickets.
Felt like the whole night it was a matter of when the dam wall would break.

they played a much better brand of footy and opened us up plenty of times. Whilst we would get a mark 60 out and wait till obrien got back in defence and this pinpoint a pass to him.

100% on the gameplan. We're not going to develop key defenders or forwards as the whole gameplan revolves around everyone playing to a shit average team defensive structure game rather than play to and develop the individual players strengths.

Port play as a sum of their weaknesses, not as a sum of their strengths.

Having friends who are high up in the corporate world, and they constantly say to me what has Koch actually accomplished in this world other than being a pawn in the media.
Never had to make tough corporate calls on people's jobs or future
As for making big profits and the club being in a much better financial position, that's a fallacy, anything is possible when you use creative accounting to "pretty up" your books.
Don't expect any tough decision from any man who spends 45 minutes at a minimum putting on his makeup before starting work.
...because Kochie likes to bash the Labor Party at every given chance in hopes to get the Libs back in power and cosy up to Dutto

Something about our defence. We have our two leaders who are currently out of form and/or too old. Their skills and decision making also aren’t up to the standard required to be in contention.
Clurey and to a lesser extent McKenzie are triers but again aren’t up to nullifying the better key forwards.
Then we have the rest. Currently I see them all as cruisers. Aliir, Burton, Houston, Bonner, Farrell. Nowhere near the intensity or toughness to put any sort of fear in the opposition. Some great skills amongst some, when allowed time and space but the one on one defensive aspect isn’t strong. Burton is probably the best user when in the clear. Bonner is living off his ‘21 PF heroics for some here. Houston seemingly picks and chooses when to bring it. Farrell looks sweet when he kicks but is he really that damaging? I don’t think he is. What he lacks in vigour he doesn’t make up with his other attributes. I was excited at the idea of Aliir after his AA season but he’s nowhere near that and again there’s a cruisey element to his game. I think the coach has to take a lot of the blame that they’ve been allowed to play that way for a long time. Under Hinkley I have always felt that when under pressure and not receiving the required backup from those further up the ground, the defence has mostly been shaky and just leak goals.
Allir was poor last night.. one on one he is a liability, he couldn’t even beat gollant one on one. needs an attitude change.

clurey looks cooked

dbj is just a hack it forward player and possibily the worst one on one player in the afl, his lack of body contact on Murphy s mark in the last quarter was draggable. Tough player my arse.

hardly saw bonner last night, not sure what role he played

farell isnt a pure one on one defender and got shown up

houston was the only decent defender.

jonas just refuses to mark anymore, sure sign of confidence down and needs a spell. Had a few occasions Where he could mark easily and double fisted out of bounds.

add to that a midfield that refuses to work hard enough in defence and a ruckman incapable of running back into defence.

No atmosphere? Quietest showdown? I thought the atmosphere was great.

Hinkley is gone though.
When Port is onside with their fans, the atmosphere is electric. At the moment the fans are very flat because they see a playing style that doesn't give much in the way of confidence or excitement. The SPP goal was only the taste of what our typical atmosphere could be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lycett and Jonas genuinely should never play another AFL game. The mids except for Rozee were shocking. Don't know whether Zak has always been this mediocre but I'm getting a bit concerned for what he'll turn out to be (at least under this coach). One thing I noticed with the Crows last night was that even under pressure they were always able to find someone to hand it off cleanly to - when we were in similar situations we fumbled, panicked and turned it over. Round 1 is looking like an absolute fluke and we'd be lucky to beat the Hawks at this rate.
Zac was a top 20 player in the comp imo b4 his major injury (forget which year the injury was). He was receiving plenty of accolades from Afl commentators across the country. He has shown glimpses since. I fear he will never get back to that level & I miss the player he was & his cheeky, determined attitude. So many of our young players have lost their mojo under Hinkley.

Kenny's presser was insightful....we actually don't expect our defenders to be able to win one on ones. It's all about the ball pressure and someone else rolling off to help.

Our game plan is to not be accountable...

Not that i ever want to defend him, but he is correct. Everyone plays a team defence around getting numbers to the contest. If you have too many one on ones then the defence isnt working and the team isnt working hard enough.

Allir was poor last night.. one on one he is a liability, he couldn’t even beat gollant one on one. needs an attitude change.

clurey looks cooked

dbj is just a hack it forward player and possibily the worst one on one player in the afl, his lack of body contact on Murphy s mark in the last quarter was draggable. Tough player my arse.

hardly saw bonner last night, not sure what role he played

farell isnt a pure one on one defender and got shown up

houston was the only decent defender.

jonas just refuses to mark anymore, sure sign of confidence down and needs a spell. Had a few occasions Where he could mark easily and double fisted out of bounds.

add to that a midfield that refuses to work hard enough in defence and a ruckman incapable of running back into defence.

The whole point of Aliir is not to be the number 1 defender.

These match ups that expose him are entirely on the coaches

Not that i ever want to defend him, but he is correct. Everyone plays a team defence around getting numbers to the contest. If you have too many one on ones then the defence isnt working and the team isnt working hard enough.

Well yes getting smashed in contested ball AND uncontested possessions shows our team is lazy AF

Like how do you get spanked in both and expect to win?

I agree but some of the vision from behind the goals is deplorable. Jonas in particular just doesn't go when his man leads to the ball.

At some point you have to publicly hold these guys accountable. It's too easy to just say the team defense broke down, it's not their fault, they're just the last guy in the chain.

Nah Ken, it's your fault for not having a plan that works or the ability to adjust the plan in game. We were playing the cows, not Geelong, Richmond, Collingwood, Sydney or any other top 8 team. The cows are at a best 10win team and from the get go we struggled to deal with their offense.

Ok here’s the deal, if you send us Zac butters alongside Kenny as this is a major risk to take on.. I think we can deal with him.

We will send him off to some remote cabin to write a coolness report on footy.

After the Pick 7/Jack Bowes swindle I can actually see this happening

My progression as a port supporter.....

Used to worry about when we would win our next premiership

Then it went to will we make the eight...

Then will we score a goal in a quarter?

Now it's will we win a contest...

This current team is genuinely the worst one on one football team I have EVER seen.

And it is by design. We are coached to play that way. So far from Port Adelaide it is not funny.

I have seen teams look bad because they don't have the talent, are inexperienced, have injuries but this current team is a special kind of shite.

Our skill level is poor, our fitness is poor, our decision making is poor.

Seriously if the good footy decision is to have one up one down we will have two up...it the good footy decision is to have one guard a zone one go to the man we will have two at the zone or both at the man ..so many examples so freakin dumb...........

And seriously does the club and Hinkley (and opposition supporters/neutrals) really believe we were good for three and a bit quarters?.

The game was close and it was a contest but we were poor, structurally, at the contest skillwise, defensively.

I thought that the lions game meant Hinks might have had the team in a space where we would downhill ski against the teams that man for man we should win against and we might ski into the eight and we might enjoy it watching a couple of games during the ride.

I was wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back