Round 3: Changes Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

True, not as good game 2, but still got in decent positions to have 2 shots on goal. Bummer they didn’t go through, but if they did, he walks away with 2 goals and as a small forward he’s done his job perfectly.

I agree, he did work hard enough to get some decent scoring opportunities which is a good sign. But he really has got to make the most of them. Banfield is in that boat too: both can't afford to be wasteful at goal both from a team POV, but also from a personal career POV.

If I was on MC I'd be happy to keep in the team right now, but he wouldn't want to keep making the same mistakes with his goal kicking.

On goal kicking, I worry that if Brayshaw doesn't get a couple of straight shots in soon, it will be come a real issue for him. Seeing him not want to take that kick in the pocket on Sunday was a bit sad for a guy who has strong straits around responsibility and leadership.

Calls to drop Brayshaw, Cerra, Darcy etc are mental. However, with Sean Darcy, I actually think he is not 100%. He is definitely carrying an injury.

Selection issue I think the club is facing at the moment is that McCarthy and probably Taberner were never expected to be our two most dominant forwards heading into Round 3. It's great that they are playing so well but I never expected having more than 2 key forwards to work. Although, McCarthy could be argued as that medium tall. Anyway, our forward line woes may continue until natural order is corrected.

In's: Logue, midfielder
Out's: Hughes, tall

Seeing him not want to take that kick in the pocket on Sunday was a bit sad for a guy who has strong straits around responsibility and leadership.
That wasn't the only example this season of players fleeing a free kick to allow someone arguably a better kick to take it. Banfield did the same when both he and Tucker tackled a player on half back, Banfield flew off as fast as he could leaving Tucker to take the kick.

I think it's a team rule.

That wasn't the only example this season of players fleeing a free kick to allow someone arguably a better kick to take it. Banfield did the same when both he and Tucker tackled a player on half back, Banfield flew off as fast as he could leaving Tucker to take the kick.

I think it's a team rule.

That makes total sense. Tucker is the far better kick than Banfield and Banfield would've known it, so he was smart.

Re: the Brayshaw one, it looked on TV like Hill was closest so it was the right call by the ump imo.

Don't think he deserves to be dropped. Don't think he was our worst by far.

What's going on with Bewley? Thought he was the next coming?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right can everyone just forget Logue: "Weber said that defender Griffin Logue is now two to three weeks away from a return with his hamstring injury. “Griffin has unfortunately had a bit of a setback last week,” Weber said. “He’s probably going to be another two to three weeks from here as he returns to full performance.”
Freo injury update today....

I am shocked to be reading this
Right can everyone just forget Logue: "Weber said that defender Griffin Logue is now two to three weeks away from a return with his hamstring injury. “Griffin has unfortunately had a bit of a setback last week,” Weber said. “He’s probably going to be another two to three weeks from here as he returns to full performance.”
Freo injury update today....

Happy to be proven wrong on Schultz but I havent seen any stand out attributes to suggest he'll be a long term player. As a small you need to have elite goal sense, speed and/or pressure and at best id say hes average to good in those areas.

These are also things you cant improve on that much. As an mature recruit you dont get much time to improve either

Don't know, only two games in. Remember Ballantyne's first game, couldn't get near it against Collingwood and he was almost 22yo when he made his debut.

We didn't play a game with entries for small forwards last week. Walters was ineffective too.

Happy to be proven wrong on Schultz but I havent seen any stand out attributes to suggest he'll be a long term player. As a small you need to have elite goal sense, speed and/or pressure and at best id say hes average to good in those areas.

These are also things you cant improve on that much. As an mature recruit you dont get much time to improve either

Most intriguing thing about this is the one guy on our list who seems to possess all 3 quality's is being trained off half-back. I can see how Sturt would be useful back there but I think with the state of our list surely these quality's make him worth persisting with forward? Hopefully its simply a development thing and a way of building his confidence/footy nous (+ defending quality small forwards has to teach him a few tricks).

Would love to see him fast-tracked into the side but realistically he'll probably get killed and playing half-back for Peel actually seems like a good option, clearly the club views the required attributes of a small forward differently though.

Yes but he kicked 3.3 in his second game! I've been reasonably assured that 2 games is enough of a sample size
Raises an interesting point actually ... genuinely speaking, the out and out guns have moments in their first couple of games that say they've got it. Barlow was huge early, Fyfe took some rippers, Ryan was serviceable.
As a general rule how many games do you really need to be able to tell?
I feel like some players are persisted with for too long, and obviously some guys take longer to get there than others (Mundy's). But does playing these guys in the seconds really cause much difference to their development? Thinking about it, the guys that make it through talent genuinely show something early. Other guys get there through hard-work (Menegola).

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3: Changes Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back