Round 3: Changes Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Schultz wasn't great against North, scrambled through the game and he is slow and lacks tricks. You think every one you like has pace. There are reasons Schultz was passed over many times .
All of the other three have tricks in their bag.

He’s not clearly worse than Ballantyne or Matera imo. I’d honestly delist Matera tomorrow if I was list manager and it wouldn’t leave us a spot short. He’s slow, can’t mark even for his height, offers zero defensive pressure and can’t kick a drop punt. Absolutely useless.

I’d like us to use decent picks on small/medium forwards next year. Liam Henry will be a nice bonus if he’s there past our second pick which tbh it sounds like he will be. On another note get Jack Martin to the club - whatever it takes contract wise.

he isn't our solution to our kicking woes, unfortunately.
Yeah, we are missing Stephen Hill more than Blakely. Shill is misunderstood as being an outside mid, he is much more than that.
Tucker played well in a similar role to what hill would have plated against North, and then is back in some shithouse tagging role against Gold coast. Why?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Yeah, we are missing Stephen Hill more than Blakely. Shill is misunderstood as being an outside mid, he is much more than that.
Tucker played well in a similar role to what hill would have plated against North, and then is back in some shithouse tagging role against Gold coast. Why?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

He was tagging Higgins last week. We just were better than them

He tagged Higgins against North. If he was tagging Miller at the start v Gold Coast it was a very soft tag. They had Bowes tagging Fyfe early so I think that's just how the chips fell with Tucker v Miller early. We also didn't use Mundy much on ball early on - Brayshaw, Tucker and Fyfe in the middle at the start of the game from memory. Whereas against North, Mundy was on ball a lot.

Schultz wasn't great against North, scrambled through the game and he is slow and lacks tricks. You think every one you like has pace. There are reasons Schultz was passed over many times .
All of the other three have tricks in their bag.
Disagree. He got two goals on quick leads in the North game. Did a good chase down tackle as well. Even in training he was up there when they do the repeat sprints late in sessions. He was an outstanding tackler at vfl level last year. Hard to do that if slow. He's also got good body positioning and the ability to take a good pack mark. We disagree. No big deal.

He’s not clearly worse than Ballantyne or Matera imo. I’d honestly delist Matera tomorrow if I was list manager and it wouldn’t leave us a spot short. He’s slow, can’t mark even for his height, offers zero defensive pressure and can’t kick a drop punt. Absolutely useless.

I’d like us to use decent picks on small/medium forwards next year. Liam Henry will be a nice bonus if he’s there past our second pick which tbh it sounds like he will be. On another note get Jack Martin to the club - whatever it takes contract wise.
Matera can kick goals, if he plays close enough to them like he did at GC. His teammates rated him and Thor as the best set shots for goal last year. I wasn't a believer in Thor but I'm converting after the first two games. Can kick goals.

I would have rather seen Matera play against GC. I agree with you in recruiting Henry and Jack Martin but need someone in middle taking pressure off Fyfe.

Brayshaw and Cerra are not long turned 19, so might be inconsistent, so I'm not sure why we aren't playing Banfield in there. He did a very good job all last year and is only fitter and stronger this year.

I thought Shultz was good game 1, not so much game 2
True, not as good game 2, but still got in decent positions to have 2 shots on goal. Bummer they didn’t go through, but if they did, he walks away with 2 goals and as a small forward he’s done his job perfectly.

Matera can kick goals, if he plays close enough to them like he did at GC. His teammates rated him and Thor as the best set shots for goal last year. I wasn't a believer in Thor but I'm converting after the first two games. Can kick goals.

I would have rather seen Matera play against GC. I agree with you in recruiting Henry and Jack Martin but need someone in middle taking pressure off Fyfe.

Brayshaw and Cerra are not long turned 19, so might be inconsistent, so I'm not sure why we aren't playing Banfield in there. He did a very good job all last year and is only fitter and stronger this year.

I’m sorry but Matera averages about as many goals per game over his career as a washed up Ballantyne has since 2017. People seem to love to point out that Matera once kicked six in an 80 point victory but instantly dismiss it when Ballantyne plays a good game. He was absolutely shite bar about fifteen games at Gold Coast. If his name wasn’t Matera he would’ve been out of the system five years ago. If his name was Matera and he was any good he’d be at the mob down the road or still at Gold Coast.

I never want to see him play for the club again. Put in someone who brings effort with and without the ball.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, not as good game 2, but still got in decent positions to have 2 shots on goal. Bummer they didn’t go through, but if they did, he walks away with 2 goals and as a small forward he’s done his job perfectly.

Was one the dribble kick from 25 out that went horribly wrong when he had plenty of time to drop punt . Nearly goals aren't nearly perfect.

I think Logue needs to play ASAP. He’s into his third year, on a new contract, but wouldn’t have collected any match payments for quite awhile. He’s strapped for cash and it’s becoming an issue. Here he is eating a raw squid for $50 - the kind intended for fish bait. Better than a mullie I suppose.

B8CAFDD7-95E6-46D5-94B6-4328A8D22306.png

You can't hate on Shultz, he seems very likable, but he should have never been drafted.

Our recruitment team has absolutely no idea. Who picks a small forward that lacks pace???? Honestly its just really really really dumb. What is the thought process, f**K me, it makes no sense whatsoever. Let's pick up Lobb and Hogan to add to Cox, Tabs and McCarthy and the lets pick Shultz. Pace needs to be the first attribute, I'm done.

Was one the dribble kick from 25 out that went horribly wrong when he had plenty of time to drop punt . Nearly goals aren't nearly perfect.
Sorry mistook for positivity thread. Yeah the bloke missed and if my Aunty had balls and all that, but with 18 shots on goal (19 if you count that shocker), a small forward who gets in position to have 2 in a team that’s played like general gobshyte, I don’t think it’s fair to shitcan him too much. That said, if Switta is ready to go this week, then it’s bye-bye Lachie.

Bit harsh. Schultz is described as a midfield/forward:
https://tlaworldwide.com/talent/lachlan-schultz/

One VFL observer described him as having elite speed.

Schultz seems to have changed his body shape somewhat since being in our weights program and looked a little slow on the weekend. But the rookies often struggle to back up in their second game. He showed great tackling pressure in rd 1 but the ball struggled to get deep into Freo’s F50 in rd 2.

Look he didn’t have the best game on Sun but the bigger issues were Freo going +14 turnovers, -60 possessions, -13 intercept marks and -21 i50’s.

The positive about the missed dribble kick was how well he read the ball off hand to get that opportunity. But then stuffed the kick up. It’s only game 2 and no need to hang the recruiters out to dry this early.

We got beat by a better and harder running team and then played into their hands. Although I would have felt better if we won by 3 pts the loss has provided a reality check and some necessary feedback.

Schultz wasn't helped by the fact that he was pretty much the smallest man on the field and yet whenever the ball came his way it was over his head which made it easy pickings for the GC defenders.

Midfield was the big problem from that one. Not sure what Cerra and Conca are doing at HB. Wasn't Conca supposed to be Neale's replacement? No point dropping one of the talls because Hogan was better than anyone not named Fyfe or Hill when he played mid so at worst he does it again.

Out: Banfield & Hughes
In: Duman & Logue

2 defenders in means that we can release Conca/Cerra into the midfield. Schultz could be swapped with Switta but I don't think that's fixing anything. Wilson and Darcy on very, very shaky ground but we probably need to back em in this early into the season.
If Duman and Logue are in doesn't it release Conca/Cerra to the bench? The midfield is already full, and they'll join the midfield rotation, only this time it won't be from defence.

I think Logue needs to play ASAP. He’s into his third year, on a new contract, but wouldn’t have collected any match payments for quite awhile. He’s strapped for cash and it’s becoming an issue. Here he is eating a raw squid for $50 - the kind intended for fish bait. Better than a mullie I suppose.

View attachment 646532
I hope that's an elaborate April fools joke

Round 3: Changes Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back