Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with anyone saying CJ had a nothing day today. Wasn't bad, wasn't that good.

Impey i preferred.

He probably didn't provide as much run as previous weeks, but he was still an intercepting machine, and we would have lost by more without him out there. 9 intercepts, the equal most on the ground (along with Hardwick).

I really hope we start letting a solid core of our young players play together. Let them learn from the older players while they can and develop what this new generation of Hawks will look like. I've been hoping for this since 2016/17.

Obv not easy with injuries to Day and DGB, but I'd rather cheer on the baby Hawks over some battlers.

Jeka has put two good games together at Box Hill now. I know we watched Jackson Ross kick 4-5 goals quite consistently without him getting a shot, but maybe Jeka comes in?

Yep, I'd be all for an experiment of Lewis and Jeka. Throw in Gunston and it's a nice mix of youth and experience.

There is alot to like about a few individuals. Good to see Lewis taking contested grabs, following up from his last quarter last week. Moore was probably best forward on the ground today, which is great for him - well done young fellow. A few others did well. There is genuinely some development taking place with the group.

I knew this would be a tough game, so perhaps not as surprised with not winning. I am disappointed with giving away big early lead, AGAIN.

Right now feels like we will be somewhere in the bottom 6 in 2021, as we blood our promising youth alongside a few older players who not really at the elite level in the competition.

Effort and guts - 9/10 (after quarter time)
Skills by hand and foot - 2/10
Doing the 1%ers - 2/10
Fluid systematic movement of the ball - 0

I had to leave the house in the last after being told by the mother of my children to either watch the games elsewhere, or get anger-management therapy.

Excruciating butchery of the ball.

Last edited:
Massive loss.

I’m dreading how bad the future will be post Gunston and Breust era when they’re no longer there. We desperately need talent in the forward-line. :(

Don’t mean to speak badly about a club champion but we may already be there. Breust has been very, very average the last 4 games

Thought CJ, Chad, Impey and Frost were good (CJ probably All Australian on half back line at the moment)

Mitchell tried his guts out as usual.

But we don't have a forward line and our forward entries continue to be a dogs breakfast.

And we really néed some classy ball users in the midfield.

Damn we miss Gunners up forward 😭
Agreee, and I'd add Morrison and Moore to that list too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worpel better this week, and his early tag was great (removing it may well have lost us the game from a coaching perspective). However he still needs to work hard on his composure when disposing. Led both teams for turnovers today, with 9, which is a pretty impressive number given he only has 22 disposals to generate those 9 turnovers from.

This will be unpopular but I liked Worp having a crack with that attacking kick, when they come off we always look to score, at least he spotted it and went for it. Too bad it was to three flat footed Hawks and picked out the one Docker. Yes he lacks polish, but he also monstered Brayshaw.
Nah...just butchered it again.
We had a ball magnet that loved the contest and his kicks inside 50 were very good... now he's become a tagger with shit skills.
WTF

To the daydreamers, Sicily and Gunston won't improve this side.

Totally agree that a certain 2 players need to be given a real tough talk on where their footy is at.
Send them to Box Hill for a minimum 6 weeks with KPI's to meet.
They don't achieve then they fester and wallow at City Oval.

We seriously need to find a forward mix who work together.
If Lewis is better working up the wings, that is fine, create a game plan for it and
find and develop the forwards inside 50.

On another note, some noise on here about gifting Bolton a job after failing at Carlton.
Agree on this too, he moved on, so do we, the ruhtless culture that once was is now insipid.
Ofcourse they will improve the side , they are gun players and arguably our best forward and back.

To the daydreamers, Sicily and Gunston won't improve this side.

Totally agree that a certain 2 players need to be given a real tough talk on where their footy is at.
Send them to Box Hill for a minimum 6 weeks with KPI's to meet.
They don't achieve then they fester and wallow at City Oval.

We seriously need to find a forward mix who work together.
If Lewis is better working up the wings, that is fine, create a game plan for it and
find and develop the forwards inside 50.

On another note, some noise on here about gifting Bolton a job after failing at Carlton.
Agree on this too, he moved on, so do we, the ruhtless culture that once was is now insipid.

They will. It's kind of obvious our young forward line lack leadership and very disorganised. At least having Gunston up forward will help them with that. Moore mentions that Gunston's advice help him play better against Essendon. Imagine his impact to other forwards when he's there.

he has been great for us - love his endeavour and he will also only get better
Moore was our worst on ground at half time as Wilson was their best by a mile.

Moore was probably our best overall after half time given Wilson was nowhere to be seen till they moved him off him late in the game and had to move him as Moore stopped him.

Don't confuse a great finish for a great overall game.

But I was very, very happy with Moore's second half, if he could have stopped it earlier and got a touch apart from a lazy goal from memory in the second would have been happier.

In saying that he was a much better player on the day than Bruest who was a superstar for a sustained period of his career. We had a lot of strugglers on the day. Moore was instrumental in getting us close after starting extremely slowly. So that is a good thing given his age. But Wilson destroyed us in the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back