Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love to know what Ross said to our players at half time because we destroyed them after that, the game was still in the balance at half time.

Maybe BJ gave them a rocket.

The umpire called him for a throw, he gets shitty so runs up the field and takes a huge contested mark. King and Membrey are going to have to lift their work rates to match his defensive efforts. He's a really hard worker.
I'm almost as excited about his defensive efforts as I am about his goals. He has a stunning turn of speed on him, and when the ball hits the ground he often is able to gather and then fire out a hand ball.
That last post was a bit of a joke, but he is a genuinely exciting prospect. He's great over head, is kicking goals, and has the ability to halve contests that he doesn't win. If not for the things Owens and the POU were doing, we'd all be constantly gushing about this kid. Honestly, I can't think of a young tall in the comp who has had a better 4 weeks than him, except for maybe JUH with his 5 goals the other night. And we got him for literally nothing. Wild.

I'm almost as excited about his defensive efforts as I am about his goals. He has a stunning turn of speed on him, and when the ball hits the ground he often is able to gather and then fire out a hand ball.
That last post was a bit of a joke, but he is a genuinely exciting prospect. He's great over head, is kicking goals, and has the ability to halve contests that he doesn't win. If not for the things Owens and the POU were doing, we'd all be constantly gushing about this kid. Honestly, I can't think of a young tall in the comp who has had a better 4 weeks than him, except for maybe JUH with his 5 goals the other night. And we got him for literally nothing. Wild.
JUH wishes he had the work ethic and follow up Hammer has. Of his 5 goals last week, 3 were freebies.

Difference is, those wins were a one quarter sugar hit.
Was never going to be sustainable To keep winning like that, as we saw eventually.

This year we are playing complete games - effort 100% of the time.
And don’t ever look like turning up our toes.
Chalk and cheese.
Think we still have sugar hits to a degree with runs of goals, however the rest of the time we are still good enough to break even thanks to structural integrity of the game plan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good mate.

That’s the question.

I'm still a bit haunted by what Melbourne did to us in the preseason. I'm looking forward to seeing us play against Pies, Swans, Dees, Brissy, Carlton types.

Sydney play a similar very system driven team game and made it to a GF last year with a pile of hard working kids. I can see us being able to match that sort of performance if everything falls into place. Hopefully it's a year with no stand out side and we can Bulldogs Bradbury it.

Stocker what a jet. Love how calculated his kicking is.
From about half way through the game against Essendon you could see Stocker change through his gears. Something clicked. He'd been solid and dour before that, but he hit another vibe in that game. He is looking like a very astute pick up.

Sounds like you are now 100% onboard the Ross Lyon train. Changing coach is always tough/a risk, but continuing with the same mediocrity is getting us nowhere. Glad the club/Bassat were brave enough to make a change in order to drive excellence and standards, and it’s definitely paying dividends on field. This game style/plan is repeatable and we’re dominating teams every game, that’s the sign of a good winning team. Better yet we’re doing it with 4-8 senior players out!! Go saints!!
Skills, Mr.Foster...something you and I have lamented in the past. We finally have guys that can hit targets within a system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back