Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar to other clubs with new coaches we came out firing in first few rounds but now other clubs are matching our intensity. Saints had done the work and unpicked our game plan that relies almost exclusively for goals from transition.

Not many positives outside Lewis and reeves. Senior players were poor and saints extra pressure around ball and on the kick inside brought us undone. Far to say Mitchell was outcoached.

Our list is pretty threadbare in terms of depth. Outside bringing shiels or Phillips in not many options for a midfield getting beaten and the kids in Ward/macca looked tired. Reeves is doing a power of work but going to need a chop out at some stage.

Could be a long year. After hopes we raised in the first few weeks yesterday was a reality check on the long grind we have ahead of us.

I'm not a fan of Finn, but there were plenty more worse than him yesterday.
There were yesterday but in the body of work he hasn’t looked close to AFL standard at any stage yet. He at least has age on his side but the tall Tim Clarke description fits pretty neatly. Can he play a tagging role in time by using his size, work ethic and speed? Maybe. But he just can’t be trusted with the ball. He’s an error machine

You'd have to say Finn is the worst kick in the team, yet Mitch keeps picking him. It can't be for his running ability alone. He must see something else in him. He's keeping Phillips out at this stage.

Phillips disposal efficiency this year hasn’t been much better and that’s with fresher legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting beat like that isnt nice.
But the team and Sam as coach will probably learn more from yesterday then through all of pre season and the first 3 rounds.

We have a tough month coming up , I'm looking forward to seeing how we can respond from yesterday.
Plenty to work on , plenty to improve on but there is plenty to work with .

Young bloods were down on output which will happen plenty of times this year, Day went out early, bad (diabolical) turnovers throughout the game and Saints played pretty damn good footy.

It would be easy to point out the negatives by singling out players but there's been plenty said there.

I liked that Maginness was able to get his hands on the footy but only played a half. He has historically struggled with this at VFL/AFL.
Impey will be better for the run.
I thought Newcombe was pretty good after a rocky start. 6 Clearances with his 23 touches is a step forward for him.
Reeves didn't just battle on throughout but also took some strides forward with impact around the ground.
Lewis had plenty of chances, 3 goals for him and a ripper mark. He is still young and developing which means there is still scope for improvement!
Jiath is really starting to get a lot of attention after a blistering start to the year. It highlights why we need Bramble and Impey in the side and back to their best so we can still break lines with pace and not rely on the single runner.

Two things were evident yesterday.

1. Impey was far from ready to come back(especially with Scrimshaw okay to play).
2. We made a seasons worth of d!ckhead decisions in one game.
Arguably the best summary here.

People have lost the plot with negativity in here considering prior to round one most here were wondering what we'd do with pick three or four.
We'll be better for this game, and will come back next week with an extra day off and hopefully a healthier side.

Phillips disposal efficiency this year hasn’t been much better and that’s with fresher legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree that Phillips isn't a great kick either. But he deserves a spot ahead of Finn, if we're basing selection on form. Was stiff to miss out this week, then backed it up yesterday with another good game at BH. Have to reward that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could be that both Hawthorn and Carlton were spent after last week and couldn't recover in time for this week's game.
We looked very flat, especially after quarter time and that's because our kids are more important to the midfield now then our senior players. To be expected when everyone is young.

But why I would have preffered Nash in the middle all day, and have someone else playing ruck, this was a break out game for Reeves though.

The inconsistency of youth, inexperience and a new coach. There is more in four games to be excited about than the previous two and a half seasons but you need to strap in and ride the bumps.

We do need urgently a midfield clearance winner though.
Tsatas

According to the Team Stats we had 34 to 30 clearances our best so far this season. I can't work that out. But I'm sure there are some experts out there who can tell me why with the exception of Newk our midfield got hammered?

Our midfield can’t/won’t defend when we turn the ball over. They’re all ball hunters and no-one sets up defensively to prevent ball movement on turnover. The ease with which St Kilda transitioned the ball through the arcs when we coughed it up was astonishing. Got clean entries with next to no pressure. Our mids turn into witches hats without the footy.

Could be a number of changes for the Cats game.

Day will unfortunately miss due to
Concussion, Worpel needs a spell at BH, Ward and CMac both looked tired and Howe could find himself out the side also.

We are definitely a tall short at the moment. Would love Callow to come in and smash into Stewart a few times. Have to reward Long’s form and he is a logical replacement for Worpel.

Phillips and Shiels could provide some much needed grunt in the middle. Thought Finn did okay when he came on and could do a job on Selwood. Would be good to niggle the shit out of him even just for shits and giggles.

Jeez Finn is a real whipping boy at what, 7 games? Impressive.
Missed his running today. Highest Hawk ran 14.0km/h. No one doing any repeat sprints where Finn usually on top.
Agreed. This was very noticeable when looking through the tracking on the AFL app. We lacked run.

Could be a number of changes for the Cats game.

Day will unfortunately miss due to
Concussion, Worpel needs a spell at BH, Ward and CMac both looked tired and Howe could find himself out the side also.

We are definitely a tall short at the moment. Would love Callow to come in and smash into Stewart a few times. Have to reward Long’s form and he is a logical replacement for Worpel.

Phillips and Shiels could provide some much needed grunt in the middle. Thought Finn did okay when he came on and could do a job on Selwood. Would be good to niggle the shit out of him even just for shits and giggles.
I'd say Lynch is a lock.

Elite runner but a very poor kick. His ball drop is very awkward and when he is on his left side then look out front 5 rows in the crowd as it could go anywhere.

Stronger version of Timmy Clarke.

I hope Mitch says to him, you are going to be my number 1 tagger every week and just give him that role.

Yes, seems like that would be a good role for him, given you'd struggle to find a mid worth tagging that could burn him off aerobically. If he's tagging an inside mid, it also wouldn't hurt to have another big bodied mid of our own at the contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back