Round 4 - vs. Geelong @ Telstra Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The BIG ONE: Saints V Cats, Rnd 4

My addition to the explanation my fellow Saints supporters was simply a supplementary concept - my main reasoning is that we really need to play our entire best team together for the majority of the season to develop our best performance. Any club can claim the same, the Saints however have been quite competitive without ever having their best 22 on the park - and certainly have not had them available for any extended period.

Sainter has explained where you've simply missed a number of Saints players drafted exactly when I said. You can ignore them if you like, but the lists I provided also contains matches played to indicate the contribution of the players from the age group.
Definitely true and your lists prove a great point. i dont think we'll find out if we're as good as geelong unless both teams have basically a full injury-free year and playoff in the finals. the more consistantly our guys are on the park together, the better we'll be.

Yeah, sorry I got my animals confused sainter. Montagna was a miss on my part. I do rate him highly. I must say, I knew X was there and probably should've put him in there since this discussion is all about taking injuries and potential into consideration. Adding Montagna and X.Clarke to the list evens it up a bit more but the point I was making is that Geelong's 2001 draft was severely undersold, because it was sublime to say the least.

I was in a real rush when I made my last post, but I will reiterate that I am well aware that injuries have stopped St.Kilda getting the best out of their list, probably more than any other club in the league. It's just a long bow to draw considering how absolutely dominant Geelong were in 2007 and are showing early signs of a similar performance in 2008.

I was just querying Kildonan's justification, which seemed as rushed and full of holes as my response was. You omitted the Geelong 01 Draft which produced a Brownlow, a Norm Smith and a son of God. I disagree with your assertions that the Saints can reach the level of play that Geelong have, but I won't argue against it because neither one of us can legitimise our claims one way or the other. That's up to your players and their players. ;)

You're right that any club can claim the same thing. St.Kilda are one of the teams that have a more legitimate claim than most, but until it happens it's all bark and no bite.

Fair point Vic. They've done it, we are yet too. Perhaps we never will ... but I'd like to think we'll get our share of good luck with injuries at long last, and if that happens we have plenty of quality in the list to have a genuine crack at a flag.

I'd also like to think it's this year too ... for Harves at least. :thumbsu:

Yes, unfortunately one thing we can't argue with is that they have the runs on the board. They won the premiership last year and while I'd love to think we could challenge them this year we've got a lot of work to do.

They are just an awesome footy team at the moment.

It really pains me to say that.

We will beat the Western Bulldogs comfortably.....at least 30 points. We can beat Geelong providing Gehrig, Riewoldt and Kosi have their kicking boots on. And I'm not ecpecting a scoreline of 20 4 124, although it would be nice.

You're the sort of one eyed supporter that everyone ridicules................open the other eye every now and then and recognise when you're up against a decent side. I haven't seen such arrogance blow up in someones face like that for a long time!!!!
And i won't take any jibes bout me barracking for the tiges!!!! We are ordinary for now, I admit it.....

Geelong have had virtually the same squad out there playing together for over a year now. That goes a long way to explaining their confidence.

Given that same circumstance, the Saints would be just as fearsome to other clubs. We need to keep our boys on the park, something that is looking pretty good so far. Re-integrating Goddard and Maguire and getting games under their belts is paramount.

We may lose this first encounter with Geelong, but we are a better team than them and once we've got a good number of games together we will be able to assert that superiority.

That's a big statement

Dont count your chickens b4 they hatch saints fans.Maybe you should have been more worried about the dogs!!!!
WTF?

That post had nothing to do with the dogs

"if we win tonight"

By the way, pretty tough of you heroes to come in here after a match and pickthe shit out of the posts, how aobut getting in ehre before the match and put your opinion out.

Soft as shit and a low act.

Good call!

You're the sort of one eyed supporter that everyone ridicules................open the other eye every now and then and recognise when you're up against a decent side. I haven't seen such arrogance blow up in someones face like that for a long time!!!!
And i won't take any jibes bout me barracking for the tiges!!!! We are ordinary for now, I admit it.....

To be fair to the rest of the saints supporters NeXus is just a troll and should not be seen as a spokesperson for their team.

Bad luck Saints tonight, I think it came down to the mental game. We wanted more than you....this may be the wake up call your team needs. :thumbsu:

We will beat the Western Bulldogs comfortably.....at least 30 points. We can beat Geelong providing Gehrig, Riewoldt and Kosi have their kicking boots on. And I'm not ecpecting a scoreline of 20 4 124, although it would be nice.

i'm expecting you will now well and truly piss off once and for all...CBF THAT!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to the rest of the saints supporters NeXus is just a troll and should not be seen as a spokesperson for their team.

Bad luck Saints tonight, I think it came down to the mental game. We wanted more than you....this may be the wake up call your team needs. :thumbsu:

precisely. and yes, nexus is not a st kilda supporter. we dont know where she came from.

Not gonna get much help here mate. :p

Umm yeah, was hoping I got dropped next week so I could go to the match, but now I think I'd rather play.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Someone help me I think I am going to collapse of shock.

No, its just a saints fan being blind.
We were ahead of you, in 2004, 2005 and 2006. We are definately WAY behind at the moment.

The problem is it all changed when you had a refresh with your coach, where as we had a business man with a conflict of our coach which lead to firing a good coach which has lead to our demise ever since that day.

Didnt make the finals in 2007, this year looks doubtful.
We should be 1 win, 2 lose's. The next two will be a loss if we keep playing Ross' gamestyle.

Official Round 4 thread - vs. Geelong @ Telstra Dome

Last Time we met:

3rd of July 2007, Round 10 Telstra Dome

St. Kilda - 9.11.65
Geelong 19.11.125

Gehrig 2 goals
Riewoldt 2 goals

Seasons so far

1. Geelong - 3 wins 0 losses 160.20%
7. St. Kilda - 2 wins 1 loss 101.54%

Injury concerns?

Geelong - Ottens, Egan won't play and Gamble who was a withdrawal from Geelongs Round 3 match is doubtful.

St. Kilda - M.Gardiner is the only one who St. Kilda don't have available to them, the word is 'calf strain' if so, his probably 1 or 2 weeks away.

Game talk- Can we win? Matchups?

Lets be honest here, it's pretty unlikely, but hey, there's no doubt we come out firing next week, attempt to shut down the game, and stuff the middle of the ground to stop their run.

A midfield that consists of Ablett, Corey, Bartel, Ling, Kelly, Stokes, Chapman just for starters is gonna be a huge ask and unfortunately you can't tag them all. Their 3 most damaging mids, Ablett, Corey and Bartel.

Ablett - Who the ____ can run with this guy? A shame Baker isn't playing because he usually squashes him. We'll probably see Fisher go to him i'd say.

Bartel - Last years Brownlow medal winner, either let Dal Santo go head to head with him or put Blake on him. He's going to get 25 disposals even if Blake does a good job, just have to make him accountable thats why I wouldn't mind Dal Santo going to him.

Corey - Probably the least damaging of the 3, but still a sensational player. Montagna to go head to head here.

Ling will go to Hayes i'd say, as most teams have been tagging Hayes first and Dal Santo second this year, and lets be honest, getting 15-20 disposals on Ling is a good result.

We need to at least break even with their mids to have a shot and ____ ME DEAD lets get some decent delivery to Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gehrig. Simply can't win unless our forwards kick a decent amount of goals, Riewoldt has been down on form big time and Milburn will probably go to him. Koschitzke 10 possessions, 3 goals and 5 marks on friday night, was his best return for the season, i'd think that Harry Taylor will probably go to him? Kosi monstered him in the NAB cup and would have good chance doing it again if we got this match up. Scarlett or Gehrig....Scarlett will beat Gehrig you'd think, but if Gehrig can kick 2-3 goals you'd be happy.

Their forward line is mighty potent along with goal kicking mids (which i've mentioned) Mooney, Byrnes/Gamble, Chapman (usually, gets stints in the midfield), Hawkins, S. Johnson to name a couple, a massive job from our defenders this week to get on top of them, especially S. Johnson, who really can tear apart a game.

Mooney - S. Fisher
Hawkins - Gilbert
Chapman - Geary
S. Johnson - Hudgton (Probably a few of you won't agree with this, but for mine has the closing speed, and reads the game very well, the perfect match-up for Johnson IMO)
Gamble/Byrnes - Goddard

As much as I hate to say it, we are going to need to flood the ____ out of the match this week for mine.

The X Factors

A.Schneider - Yet to really do his very best work in the first 3 rounds although we saw some glimpses against the Dogs. They don't really have a player to go with him, and i'd say someone like Hunt will go there and for mine we could probably exploit this match up. Also hope that Hunt follows him up on to the wings and the like. That said, have to be accountable on Hunt dues to his amazing kicking.

M. Stokes - A similar player to Adam, plays forward predominately but some very useful stints in the midfield. He gets ____ all Time on Ground but when he comes on rarely does he play a bad game. A great kick of the football along with a good goal kicker. Need to find a good match up for him, and really can't let him run free.

Prediction

Cats by 17

I'll be happy with a good 4 quarter effort, and to be within striking distance a 3/4 time. We must play a good game here to get some respect and confidence back.

Would love to see the following players play a good game to really get ourselves up for the game against the Bombers

Dal Santo
Koschitzke
Gehrig
Riewoldt
Xavier

Re: Official Round 4 thread - vs. Geelong @ Telstra Dome

Last Time we met:

St. Kilda - 9.11.65
Geelong 19.11.125

Gehrig 2 goals
Riewoldt 2 goals

Seasons so far

Injury concerns?

Geelong - Ottens, Egan won't play and Gamble who was a withdrawal from Geelongs Round 3 match is doubtful.

St. Kilda - M.Gardiner is the only one who St. Kilda don't have available to them, the word is 'calf strain' if so, his probably 1 or 2 weeks away.

Lets be honest here, it's pretty unlikely, but hey, there's no doubt we come out firing next week, attempt to shut down the game, and stuff the middle of the ground to stop their run.

A midfield that consists of Ablett, Corey, Bartel, Ling, Kelly, Stokes, Chapman just for starters is gonna be a huge ask and unfortunately you can't tag them all. Their 3 most damaging mids, Ablett, Corey and Bartel.

Ablett - Who the ____ can run with this guy? A shame Baker isn't playing because he usually squashes him. We'll probably see Fisher go to him i'd say.

Bartel - Last years Brownlow medal winner, either let Dal Santo go head to head with him or put Blake on him. He's going to get 25 disposals even if Blake does a good job, just have to make him accountable thats why I wouldn't mind Dal Santo going to him.

Corey - Probably the least damaging of the 3, but still a sensational player. Montagna to go head to head here.

Ling will go to Hayes i'd say, as most teams have been tagging Hayes first and Dal Santo second this year, and lets be honest, getting 15-20 disposals on Ling is a good result.

We need to at least break even with their mids to have a shot and ____ ME DEAD lets get some decent delivery to Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gehrig. Simply can't win unless our forwards kick a decent amount of goals, Riewoldt has been down on form big time and Milburn will probably go to him. Koschitzke 10 possessions, 3 goals and 5 marks on friday night, was his best return for the season, i'd think that Harry Taylor will probably go to him? Kosi monstered him in the NAB cup and would have good chance doing it again if we got this match up. Scarlett or Gehrig....Scarlett will beat Gehrig you'd think, but if Gehrig can kick 2-3 goals you'd be happy.

Their forward line is mighty potent along with goal kicking mids (which i've mentioned) Mooney, Byrnes/Gamble, Chapman (usually, gets stints in the midfield), Hawkins, S. Johnson to name a couple, a massive job from our defenders this week to get on top of them, especially S. Johnson, who really can tear apart a game.

Mooney - S. Fisher
Hawkins - Gilbert
Chapman - Geary
S. Johnson - Hudgton (Probably a few of you won't agree with this, but for mine has the closing speed, and reads the game very well, the perfect match-up for Johnson IMO)
Gamble/Byrnes - Goddard

As much as I hate to say it, we are going to need to flood the ____ out of the match this week for mine.

The X Factors

A.Schneider - Yet to really do his very best work in the first 3 rounds although we saw some glimpses against the Dogs. They don't really have a player to go with him, and i'd say someone like Hunt will go there and for mine we could probably exploit this match up. Also hope that Hunt follows him up on to the wings and the like. That said, have to be accountable on Hunt dues to his amazing kicking.

C. Stokes - A similar player to Adam, plays forward predominately but some very useful stints in the midfield. He gets ____ all Time on Ground but when he comes on rarely does he play a bad game. A great kick of the football along with a good goal kicker. Need to find a good match up for him, and really can't let him run free.

Prediction

Cats by 17

I'll be happy with a good 4 quarter effort, and to be within striking distance a 3/4 time. We must play a good game here to get some respect and confidence back.

Would love to see the following players play a good game to really get ourselves up for the game against the Bombers

Dal Santo
Koschitzke
Gehrig
Riewoldt
Xavier
Do you mean Mathew Stokes?

Re: Official Round 4 thread - vs. Geelong @ Telstra Dome

Last Time we met:

St. Kilda - 9.11.65
Geelong 19.11.125

Gehrig 2 goals
Riewoldt 2 goals

Seasons so far

Injury concerns?

Mooney - S. Fisher
Hawkins - Gilbert
Chapman - Geary
Gamble/Byrnes - Goddard

The X Factors

M. Stokes - A similar player to Adam, plays forward predominately but some very useful stints in the midfield. He gets ____ all Time on Ground but when he comes on rarely does he play a bad game. A great kick of the football along with a good goal kicker. Need to find a good match up for him, and really can't let him run free.

Prediction

Cats by 17

Dal Santo
Koschitzke
Gehrig
Riewoldt
Xavier

Don't you hate it when people quote really long posts, especially when they're replying to the post directly above them!

Would it be considered a dissappointment if we got beaten by more than Melbourne did? Cos I can either see it being really tight, or a massive blowout. Cats will win either way.

A nice write up. Should be mentioned that King vs Blake will have a bit of rivalry behind it with both guys out to prove a point. C.Gardiner may come in which adds a bit of sting as he is an x cat.

If Dal goes head to head with Bartel you really need to focus on getting him the ball in attacking positions as Bartel will rip him apart if Dal keeps picking up most of his possessions in the back 50 like he has the last two rounds.

I would play Ball on Corey, Monty is two outside and will get carved up at center bounces. Balls tackling should keep Corey's clearance numbers down.

Ling will definitely go to Hayes. Your side is struggling with clearances and stopping Hayes really exacerbates that problem.

I think Enright will go to Schnider and should be alright on him.

I'd play Max on Mooney and Fischer on S.J (trying to exploit S.J the other way.)

Taylor to Reiwoldt
Scarlett to Kosi
Harley on C.Gardiner/Gehrig

Important that Hayes has a good game for you guys I think. I expect Gram to have a big one.

There's more rivalry between our two teams than we have with Melbourne. Saints have pulled a few upsets on the Cats. I expect it might depend on which forward line fires up. Both seemed to lose their way on the weekend.

I hope your team chucks the towel in as easy as you lot do.

Ooooo you big meany! Thats it, I swore I wouldn't cry today... there's just no sportsmanship in football anymore... wahhhhh!

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 - vs. Geelong @ Telstra Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back