Round 4 - vs. Geelong @ Telstra Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The BIG ONE: Saints V Cats, Rnd 4

Like your optimism. Let me ask you this - what's the purpose of a football team? To win games? To win premierships? On any measure, the current Saints fall well short of the current Cats.

We fall one premiership short. Over the last five years (current), I would have thought we would be fairly similar on games won.

In fact the two clubs would almost mirror each other if you consider us one season behind. It does not mean it will happen, but it demosntrates how easy it is to get on a high horse once you do it.

Anyway, it is time for these big talking Cats to put some predctions in a thread.

Is it just me or has the top link to the club home pages been removed?

It's not just you. - K

Reg Hickey no one disputes the achievements of your football team, but your sermon is clearly a wank and you sir are a jerk. Think of where your team were at round 3 last year...

Thanks for the compliment.

As for where my team was this time last year, exactly. No dispute here. But remember that my "sermon" as you call it was in response to a post by one of your mods that the Saints are a better team than the Cats, which is not something I would have dreamed of claiming about the Cats in comparison to the reigning premier this time last year. At that time it was the Eagles, and although less dominant than us at the moment, still clearly better than us at that point.

Injury free? Depends on who, how many, for how long. Think you will find games missed by Saints key players vastly outnumbered those missed by cats players. Luck is always a variable in winning premierships. Depth? How come there wasn't any in Geelong before last year? Appeared miraculously I suppose. Rather I think it's called working with what you have to get the best from them.

Luck is a factor, yes. Our depth appeared from developing our kids into good footballers, yes. I would also point out that we had that same depth in round 3 last year, but our list was still considered average and we were still considered probably even money to make the finals. And fair enough too - a poor 2006 followed by an average start to 2007 didn't suggest otherwise. The recognition that our depth was better than that came only from the performances of many of those blokes last year.

But I'm not sure of the relevance. None of this justifies the original post I was responding to. Yes the Saints have had a bad run with injury and MAYBE it has prevented you from winning a flag or being a better side than us. Or maybe not. Its just a dumb assertion, that I'm challenging.

Think again before you come preaching the virtues of your team on another team's board. It's too easy after the event.

Look, the reason I came here in the first place was to see what you lot were saying about the game coming up. I didn't come to preach. But I don't see anything necessarily wrong with pulling you up on some ridiculously arrogant statements about how good you think the Saints are.

I didn't mean to cause offence, and maybe the post was too long, but I'm not sorry for posting it.

By the way, I know everyone loves to say their team is great and wind up other supporters about it, so maybe you think I took the original post too seriously. If so, I'd say that calling my post a wank and me a jerk is a touch too serious as well?

We fall one premiership short. Over the last five years (current), I would have thought we would be fairly similar on games won.

In fact the two clubs would almost mirror each other if you consider us one season behind. It does not mean it will happen, but it demosntrates how easy it is to get on a high horse once you do it.

Anyway, it is time for these big talking Cats to put some predctions in a thread.

Depends what "current" means. Five years is a long time.

And if you are one season behind - and I'm not suggesting you're not - then you have a big job to do over the next 5 months or so. Good luck. Believe it or not I would honestly like to see the Saints do well - I've had a soft spot for them ever since seeing Trevor Barker play in the first live VFL match I ever went to.

BUT, either way, I still fail to see how you could be considered a better team than we are, which was the point of the original post.

Cats by 58 pts

With you there - although I'd take Jones, but Armo would be fine too. Heck I'd even take Birss over Fiora at the moment. My new theory is that all these games are Ross giving Fiora enough rope to hang himself with. When he's scuttled like the ship in Half Moon Bay, he'll never be able to say he didn't have his chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not conceding anything just yet.

Carn the Sainters.

(really should change my rose-coloured lenses one day huh?!)

Hopefully we can really give tomorrow a good go.

Would be dissapointing if we head their tomorrow, and get done by 10 goals.

Lets hope we have a red hot go.

My thoughts on the match:
Why can we not keep up a performance for more than a quarter or so? :mad: Now admittedly Geelong lifted but we lost it simultaneously despite looking the goods for the first quarter. Disposal efficiency showed, we won the clearances but every time Geelong actually got it through the center you just knew they'd mark in the 50 and goal/run in and goal. How many did we kick on the run? Less than we missed that's for sure, and even when we marked we missed often. Geelong's skill level showed everywhere, I think we had equal opportunities in the match but just didn't capitalise whilst Geelong did nearly every time. On the plus side, Hayes is a star and thanks to King and some of our mids we won the clearances by 16. If only we could hit our targets and win contested ball the outcome might have been very different.

Great today:
Lenny Hayes
Good today:
Luke Ball, Steven King, Justin Koschitzke, Leigh Montagna
Poor:
Gehrig, Hudghton, Gram

And just a final whinge, I don't like to complain about umps because I know I'm probably a being a bit biased but Ray Chamberlain is a disgrace. Cost us a few goals including 1 of 3 in 3 minutes that cost us momentum and let the Cats get back on top not to mention god knows how many bullshit in the backs. And it wasn't just us, paid some shockers against the Cats as well.

It's always someone elses fault isn't it. Nothing to do with your team doing shit. Oh you used to like cats fans? Isn't that sweet you poor baby; I'm sorry I effect your soft as butter brain.
What are you even talking about, when did I say something was someone else's fault? Full credit to the Cats, you were a class above today (see my post above) and I admit we were shit for a vast majority of the match. But why the need to come on here and boast, just cause someone favoured their own team and got their tipping wrong? If it was a thread on the main board proclaiming the Saints would win then fine, tear him to shreds but why the need to come onto a St Kilda board and have a go at someone for thinking we might have a chance? Is it somehow unreasonable to expect your own team to win against the odds? In conclusion, gtfo

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 - vs. Geelong @ Telstra Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back