Preview Round 5: vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see Steven in, we will definitely need him.

Longer for Hickey is a surprise but that is the beauty of depth, if Hickey is pulling up a bit sore at the moment what a luxury it is to be able to rest him and bring in a player who should be able to match the output we would have gotten out of him underdone. Hopefully in a week or two he will be back and ready to demand his spot back... and hopefully Billy wont want to let go.

As for all the naysayers complaining about Longer's lack of impact around the ground... compare the following, Hickey's career best in each individual stat vs Longer's 2015 stats:

Hickey:
Kicks - 7.8 (2014), Handballs - 8.1 (2016), Disposals - 13.2 (2016), Marks - 4.2 (2012), Hitouts 29.8 (2016)

Longer:
Kicks - 3.7, Handballs, 5.6, Disposals - 9.3, Marks - 2.4, Hitouts 29.2

On paper he stacks up decently, and Longer is only 24 next month. I think a big reason why we can be so harsh on Longer is because we all remember all the marks that bounced out of his concrete hands. What that tells me is that he can get to the right places, confident he will eventually put it all together. I still would love to see a line up that could fit both big guys in, but unless one of them drastically improves their forward game it just aint hapepening.

-----------------------------

On another note, would really like to see Meatball come in and it should probably be at the expense of Dunstan but I am afraid that Armo's absence may require he get a late repreive.

Minch for Lonie is the go for me. Lonie's pressure acts have been great, tackling as well. But I believe that this is an area in which Minch is absolutely elite (I'm talking best handful in the competition) and just as important, he tends to take advantage of most of his opportunities.

Think Stevens, Savage and Lonie will be the emergencies.

A bit worried if Hickey is being rested , managed or what ever they call it after four games of the season. Is it just an easy way of dropping him to see how Longer will go . Problem is what if Longer plays a blinder does that mean Hickey is out of the side. I would be nervous if I was someone like Hickey getting rested so soon.

Stevens must be close to getting a call up , he's a handy player to be coming into the side. As for the Lonie vs Mitch thing , Lonie has being playing well but does miss some important shots . The only thing that worries me about Mitch is he telegraphs his kicks too much . If he is going to short pass it's like he needs to take at least five or so steps in that direction first before he kicks it which gives the backline time to move across to that side.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't be too confident about Hickey getting his spot back if Longer has a good game and we come away with a win.

Good for the team to have selection pressure on every position though, no one is safe bar perhaps Riewoldt.

Just like you say you were right do we get to say you are wrong if Longer is out before then. By the way the club said Hickey was managed not dropped as you suggested.

If you read my post, I do qualify it subject to form and injuries. My point is that it is a softer run for Longer to really consolidate his spot IF he can.

Hickey is not playing. Now, whether his lack of fitness precipitated the drop or form related, we wouldn't know. Maybe a bit of both?

I know that Goldy/Grundy aren't being rested in round 5 (although Preuss is).

Tony from SS is going with Hickey genuinely being managed. Two six day breaks coming up and the game has changed with the bye before finals making top 4 no longer imperative. You just have to get in so most players will be managed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF is a choomah? Sounds like a disease.
IT'S NAHT A CHOOMAH!

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Is-BackIn-Bronze.jpg

Tony from SS is going with Hickey genuinely being managed. Two six day breaks coming up and the game has changed with the bye before finals making top 4 no longer imperative. You just have to get in so most players will be managed.

Yeah... geniunely being managed. You know the way Grundy/Jacobs will be managed...

Yes resting players who play in the most physically demanding position on the field never happens.

So whats really happening is that the club is lying to Hickey, the clubs supporters, sponsors and the AFL.

Effing pathetic performance by the club so I've burnt my membership ticket and told them that after 50 years of supporting St Kilda this outrage is the last straw!!!

Meanwhile in separate selection developments

North Melbourne
has rested Preuss for Saturday night's clash against Fremantle.

and I see O'Meara's one week knock to the knee has become two weeks.

Just been browsing the Geelong review of this game. This cats supporter claims last year he was sitting with a bunch of die hard Saints supporters who didn't know who number 44 was for the saints as he tore the cats to shreds. I left a note saying we weren't that stupid.

Sent via HAL

Glad to see Steven in, we will definitely need him.

Longer for Hickey is a surprise but that is the beauty of depth, if Hickey is pulling up a bit sore at the moment what a luxury it is to be able to rest him and bring in a player who should be able to match the output we would have gotten out of him underdone. Hopefully in a week or two he will be back and ready to demand his spot back... and hopefully Billy wont want to let go.

As for all the naysayers complaining about Longer's lack of impact around the ground... compare the following, Hickey's career best in each individual stat vs Longer's 2015 stats:

Hickey:
Kicks - 7.8 (2014), Handballs - 8.1 (2016), Disposals - 13.2 (2016), Marks - 4.2 (2012), Hitouts 29.8 (2016)

Longer:
Kicks - 3.7, Handballs, 5.6, Disposals - 9.3, Marks - 2.4, Hitouts 29.2

On paper he stacks up decently, and Longer is only 24 next month. I think a big reason why we can be so harsh on Longer is because we all remember all the marks that bounced out of his concrete hands. What that tells me is that he can get to the right places, confident he will eventually put it all together. I still would love to see a line up that could fit both big guys in, but unless one of them drastically improves their forward game it just aint hapepening.

-----------------------------

On another note, would really like to see Meatball come in and it should probably be at the expense of Dunstan but I am afraid that Armo's absence may require he get a late repreive.

Minch for Lonie is the go for me. Lonie's pressure acts have been great, tackling as well. But I believe that this is an area in which Minch is absolutely elite (I'm talking best handful in the competition) and just as important, he tends to take advantage of most of his opportunities.

Think Stevens, Savage and Lonie will be the emergencies.

Excuse my ignorance but who is meatball ?

Sent via HAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back