Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Owens has been red hot in SuperCoach as well. Everyone slept on him “because saints are s*** and he’s playing forward”

I slept on him because I thought there's no WAY a second year >10 game player could score well in such an unfriendly supercoach roll. They'd have to be a generational gun to do well in that role...

Po was quite influencial without dominating. He popped up everywhere during the second quarter... a couple of smothers, a couple of nearly hangers (I'm positive that his second one was a deliberate tap down to Butler's goal), a bunch of handballs out of traffic, and could've had a goal but got too close to the man of the mark. He's doing all the right things already.

Motlop copped a ban for he's dangerous tackle on Doogs, which is about right going on the MRO this season.

What stinks about it was it wasn't even a free kick, think that says it all about the umpires efforts on Sunday.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was quite shocked when that tackle wasn't awarded a free kick. The umpire was in a great position to see it all. Furthermore, I was completely flabbergasted to hear the commentary by Brian Taylor & Tim Watson saying it didn't look like a dangerous tackle & that Dougal Howard somehow contributed to his own head smashing into the turf.

Where the heck has BT been all season? That particular tackle is the perfect example of what a "dangerous tackle" looks like & what we all don't want to see, regardless of player or team. It is also a perfect example of how a respected commentator will try & preempt & influence any possible consequences of the event. Not only that, it's also a great example of commentator bias.

Last edited:
Some thoughts from level 3 (missing level 1 home game seats)

I wonder how big a gee up Roma received at half time? Not going terrible but not great either in the first half. The goal that put Carlton up just before half time came from a throw in where his effort was terrible.

To give him his due he knew it. Was right below us on the 3rd level and when the goal went through he hung his head.

Much better aggression and determination in the 2nd half by him and started winning some more hit outs that gave out mids a chance.

I wonder how much power Gresh has lost with his kicking after the Achilles injury? The goal he kicked in the 3rd seemed like he went F* it and put his foot through it. Wonder if there is something mental? Terrible injury that one. Hopefully that helps him. He's never been a great kick but he has been kicking it like it's a balloon.

Umpires were just laughable. We rearly do play under a St Kilda rule book. Every week. Not so much the ones the oppo get just hardly any of the same for us.

On Carlton supporters don't be sucked in. Yeah they ain't bad at the moment but as a 35 year member I'll never ever ever forget what they were like. You know it's there and like a cute wounded animal giving sad eyes after the past 30 years you can get sucked in....DON'T. Today was one of the greatest games of football ever because of us beating them. Take that attitude as a Sainta fan and you'll be ok.

Great post

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Say King is good for 2 goals a game. Odd 3 or 4 goal games. Lets say he'd have 20 by end of this round, puts him 3rd in the Coleman right now which is fair I think.

That brings that 149 point gap down to 29.

It's scary to think what we are going to be like with King in the side.
Depends on how we deliver it forward when he returns

Po was quite influencial without dominating. He popped up everywhere during the second quarter... a couple of smothers, a couple of nearly hangers (I'm positive that his second one was a deliberate tap down to Butler's goal), a bunch of handballs out of traffic, and could've had a goal but got too close to the man of the mark. He's doing all the right things already.
Absolutely, I noticed that as well. Was very smart (not to mention unselfish)

I watched the replay last night and once again its amazing what a different perspective you get watching the game when not charged with emotion. A couple of players who I didnt notice during the live game played really effective games Wanganeen-Milera and Paton. Both had terrific games and Paton did plenty of courageous things while NWM run and attack was brilliant. Another defender who had a better game than I remembered was Dougal Howard, he had his hands full with McKay but Dougal took probably more intercept marks in that game than I can remember he ever having. Crouch was huge again and is just Mr Realiable this year. He has taken his game to another level and is playing above as he ever has in his career, he just gets his job done every week.

The other who needs praise having bounced back after a poor game against the Pies is Gresham. He has obviously bought into the team ethos and his pressure and two way running were huge. If he keeps up those work levels he will kick bags of goals during the year.

Ive also notice people suggesting we drop/rest Phillipou? Please take the time and go and watch the replay. Everything this kid touches turns to gold, his game for any half forward was very good. He was dangerous in the air and if you watch the Butler crumbed goal it was Pou who basically flew above the pack and palmed the ball with both hands directly to Butts. On top of that he sees the game so well he creates goals with his every touch, his hand balling is so creative it is Bontempelli esq. The coaches managed his game day minutes so given his impact I very much doubt Pou will be rested - he is just so important to our forward setups?

I watched the replay last night and once again its amazing what a different perspective you get watching the game when not charged with emotion. A couple of players who I didnt notice during the live game played really effective games Wanganeen-Milera and Paton. Both had terrific games and Paton did plenty of courageous things while NWM run and attack was brilliant. Another defender who had a better game than I remembered was Dougal Howard, he had his hands full with McKay but Dougal took probably more intercept marks in that game than I can remember he ever having. Crouch was huge again and is just Mr Realiable this year. He has taken his game to another level and is playing above as he ever has in his career, he just gets his job done every week.

The other who needs praise having bounced back after a poor game against the Pies is Gresham. He has obviously bought into the team ethos and his pressure and two way running were huge. If he keeps up those work levels he will kick bags of goals during the year.

Ive also notice people suggesting we drop/rest Phillipou? Please take the time and go and watch the replay. Everything this kid touches turns to gold, his game for any half forward was very good. He was dangerous in the air and if you watch the Butler crumbed goal it was Pou who basically flew above the pack and palmed the ball with both hands directly to Butts. On top of that he sees the game so well he creates goals with his every touch, his hand balling is so creative it is Bontempelli esq. The coaches managed his game day minutes so given his impact I very much doubt Pou will be rested - he is just so important to our forward setups?

Howard had to step up because the Blues stopped Wilkie doing his thing. He did well to pick up the slack. I noticed that Paton looked really combative and like he was putting his body on the line like he did in 2020. Before his leg he was probably the most consistent of Clark, Coff and himself. His talent wasn't as high but his reliability and output were hard to knock.

Phillipou was great I thought, he's just a natural high level player. as you said his game sense is incredible for his age.

Just because you can't praise him enough I thought that Owens was huge again. I had a look at his rankings after this week and in both the systems he's gone up to around our 4th most effective player. Incredible for a guy who'd played a handful of games last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently, the Saints are only on top of the ladder because of Gillon McLachlan and Carlton wuz robbed by the umpires. This is a wild ride of a video.
Words fail me after watching that vid.

It's actually very sad.

Apparently, the Saints are only on top of the ladder because of Gillon McLachlan and Carlton wuz robbed by the umpires. This is a wild ride of a video.
The Carlton Vs St Kilda game was the worst game ever

Jesus, the guy is special needs so probably shouldn't go too hard on him but the comments....

"The st kilda one where it hit the top of his foot is a goal becuase all you need to do if make connection with your boot and it's a goal"

.....um yeah. The internet hasn't had a positive effect on human intelligence. You'd assume it was parody if you didn't read the rest of them.

Jesus, the guy is special needs so probably shouldn't go too hard on him but the comments....

"The st kilda one where it hit the top of his foot is a goal becuase all you need to do if make connection with your boot and it's a goal"

.....um yeah. The internet hasn't had a positive effect on human intelligence. You'd assume it was parody if you didn't read the rest of them.

I was fully expecting the conclusion of his analysis to be "Ding fries are done!"

Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back