Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, it is totally irrational to care about a sports team but you quickly stop feeling stupid about it when you realise this sports team is being paid $13 million between them precisely because you care so they can go f*** themselves and win something.

I’m suffering from the other side of the globe, for Christ’s sake. I do care. It matters to me.

If one doesn’t care, than simply stop posting, commenting, following the club.

Answer my question, please enlighten me …..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So the challenge is name someone who would have contributed more than 5 disposals and 0.0? My answer is 'basically anyone'. Even Jed probably would've done more.

So the challenge is name someone who would have contributed more than 5 disposals and 0.0? My answer is 'basically anyone'. Even Jed probably would've done more.

Jed was always getting picked sub or not. I’ll ask the question again, who would you have replaced Sweet with when team was selected Thursday night ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jed was always getting picked sub or not. I’ll ask the question again, who would you have replaced Sweet with when team was selected Thursday night ?

I literally just answered you m8. Trying to act like I haven't won this argument is hilarious. Don't bother answering because I won't respond x

We’ll see that’s the thing. It’s not like we were super s**t at contested possession - we had 120 for the game. It’s just that Collingwood had 161. Our average is around 126. Collingwood is 133 for the year.

Now reconcile that with the fact that we were leading contested possession by 1 at quarter time. Let’s say it was 30-29.

It means that in the remaining three quarters of football, Collingwood generated 222 contests and won 60% of them. 222 contests on a sunny day at the MCG. Oh, and their pressure was elite at the same time.

It’s exactly like the same performance that prelim final teams used to have when they were the only side that got a week off at the end of the year.
Haha your pathetic excuses are never ending. You'd get on great with Ken.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sigh

Any opposition club, wounded, out of form, pressure mounting. It’s a great opportunity for Port to make a statement. Show the football world that we are the real deal, that we will be a serious finals contender. Make a blow against a fellow contender. Whole football world is watching and backing us. Anddddd we choke.

Then rinse and repeat.

This is the Hinkley era. This is the Koch and AFL board era. This will be the Carr era. Etc etc

Alright well let’s look at this game for whatever good that is.

Head to head it’s actually pretty even, hell Port are probably better player for player in several areas. Collingwood’s game is built on hard work and out numbering at every contest. They want Darcy Moore intercepting and they make the ground long through their half forwards. Their tall players are required to compete and keep the ball in the area to allow for the out number. Essentially they want to force you to kick to one spot, ensure you don’t mark at that spot, outnumber you there so that they win the ball and then use those extra numbers to flood forward so they catch your defence wrong footed. It relies on hard work and speed.

Port relies on winning it at the centre or stoppage and getting it forward and locking it in for repeat entries until a goal is scored. We’ve added a lot more overlap and use of half backs as attacking weapons this year but very much rely on the corridor.

The rucks:

Port were without Dixon and Finlayson. So no part time ruck. So we added Sweet. Bearing in mind that Sweet and Soldo are both slow, stoppage focused rucks who are best when used as the sole ruck for the majority of the game. We made the mistake last year of not playing a tall back and seem to have taken the lesson as needing to maintain some kind of structure. In theory there is merit. In reality this was never going to work and we should have used Marshall or Wines or SPP or some such option. What eventuated was a ruck mauling where their rucks beat us in the middle and around the ground. Our rucks couldn’t defend, couldn’t kick a goal and couldn’t take a relieving mark. And neither could prevent Moore from dominating and weren’t agile enough when the ball hit the deck to be useful.

Our midfield: this is bad from Carr.

Collingwood want to keep the ball in tight where their numbers can win the ball and then move it forward quickly. Collingwood basically blocked our mids from using their pace and agility and gang tackled anyone who got the ball. Hit outs were predictable. And we tried nothing different. They bullied us off it. Mead, Rozee, Bergmann, Burgoyne, and others, all got pushed off it and gave up meekly.

Defence: not heaps that can be done with fast, repeat inside fifties but gees it doesn’t help when we drop marks, fumble balls, don’t contest marks hard enough and basically lose the plot. This performance was terrible.

Forward: what an opportunity. This is your forward line Todd. Make it yours. Enforcer SPP, this team embarrassed us last year, your time to crunch some pies. Andddd nothing.

Once again no changes. No creative coaching. Maybe flood back and clog the midfield. Leave Rioli one out up front. Or Mitch. Give Marshall a run on the ball. Put Burton forward. Would have like if McKenzie came in and played on Moore.

But dumb selections, dumb tactics that played straight into their hands and a complete lack of creativity or ability to adapt aside, what really killed us was mindset. We were timid. We let them bully us. They out worked us. They were tougher and harder. We lost all confidence and belief. And amazingly it happened after a brilliant, confidence boasting first quarter. The drop in form, belief and confidence mid game is almost unbelievable. Doesn’t make sense. Anndddd then you remember, We are Port Adelaide. We exist to get struggling contenders back into form and to take pressure off them. We exist to provide the backs against the wall victory for other teams. We are weak and soft and are getting what we deserve.

This is brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Look the hyperbole about the loss it what it is but come on EP anybody who has watched this club in the past 10 years knew without a shadow of a doubt this was a L and a big one and thats exactly what we delivered

Port hasn't won with its backs to the wall when it counted since well can you name a win?

Probably the QF against Geelong in 2021 in between now and then and in the years prior are a litany of big game losses all that was different this time was we didn't even win the inside 50s or clearances we just got smacked all round

Even neutrals are saying Kens big game record is terrible if the board and club aren't willing to engage in intelligent discourse regarding the performance of the senior coach WTF should we?

A dribbling moron once said "you get what you deserve" seems occasionally even the mentally challenged are correct

I completely agree with you. This was a predictable loss. I come here to read people’s thoughts on the stats, the lack of changes, the poor and great performances etc. I travelled to the G last year and watched us get flogged in front of a moronic crowd who kicked off the JHF booing, thankfully I wasn’t there today. In the first quarter I was kicking myself but as the game went on I went through the usual stages of grief. My comment about finding the intelligent discourse was about the fact that you have to wade through a lot of donuts, greyhound, sack everyone blah to find the conversation about the game.

I’m so glad I didn’t renew my membership for this season, I’ll be back when the grifter and spin guru is gone. Even if we’re rock bottom when that happens I’ll still come back! Anything’s better then the limbo state that we’re in now that’s on the road to absolutely nowhere

Last edited:
Did you actually watch the game? Was a non-factor after 1/4 time and went missing when the game was there to be won. Why apologise for these flakes?
I watched the game and I’ve watched every other game he’s played. Today he was awful but generally he’s elite and a player other clubs would love to have. Imagine the ignorance of calling Butters expendable because he played like sh*t in round 6 of 2024.

We’ll see that’s the thing. It’s not like we were super s**t at contested possession - we had 120 for the game. It’s just that Collingwood had 161. Our average is around 126. Collingwood is 133 for the year.

Now reconcile that with the fact that we were leading contested possession by 1 at quarter time. Let’s say it was 30-29.

It means that in the remaining three quarters of football, Collingwood generated 222 contests and won 60% of them. 222 contests on a sunny day at the MCG. Oh, and their pressure was elite at the same time.

It’s exactly like the same performance that prelim final teams used to have when they were the only side that got a week off at the end of the year.

In brief, we played trash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back