Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

With C Mac out, O’Sullivan, Butler and Bennetts playing the way they are then Moore, Wingard, Greene should all be worried of their spots in team. Not enough of any goals from them. And they all offer very little forward half pressure. What a head scratcher Subbing out Seamus. Has been the brightest light this year thus far. Looks an elite talent, wonder what he could do forward of the ball now he’s gained confidence?

agree I would have actually sub out wingard

Greene’s arm chopped no free, Day’s arm dragged to the ground no free
Doggies player gets caught drops the ball, no free, then he dives on the ball gets caught no free, and that’s just for starters
Worst was when newcombe was held by bontempelli, shrugged the hold and got paid against... for a hold!

Funny game to watch - in that first half we looked like giving them a massive scare. Probably still do if Mitch kicks a few more. What a great return game from him.

The midfield build is is looking really impressive. Huge games from Day & Newc. Also great to see Ward play mostly mid.

Worps & Nash both excellent as well, Nash has arrived in a big way and Worps is back to some of his best form.

Love big Ned, he’s doing it so well solo.

Need a bit more composure from the back line, some great stuff from Frosty but paired with some shockers. Do need a bit of pressure on CJ, if Scrim is fully fit next week you’d think he starts. Wouldn’t mind seeing Blanck back soon as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Reeves just had the best performance of the season vs English. That bloke is ******* monstering everyone, even Darcy and Co.

English still had a big impact but he's the best in the game right now. Reeves really took it to him. Well done to him and the boys for really fighting it out. Just not good enough to finish the opportunities. But the vision forward is crystal clear.
He just needs to hold some marks. It will come

Had to laugh at the ball up when it fell to Worpel, and they recalled it but earlier they let two slide when falling to Doggies players and they ended up with goals to them

Almost the exact same bounce. You could see Worpel wanted to say something about it too.

I'm alright with that result. I thought it would be a 30-point victory for the Dogs before today, and I was proven right. There is nothing wrong with losing to the Dogs. They are an elite side that has underperformed since their fairytale year, but they appear to be hitting their stride now. And their main core of Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Daniel, Johannisen, and Dale have been together for the better part of the last decade, with the likes of even Naughton, English, Ed Richards, Bailey Williams, and Bailey Smith having been there for 5+ years now. We, on the other hand, with our core of main players, have been there for about 5 seconds. That said, I am a bit worried about how our breakline, switching, and fast play football have gone conservative in the second half this year against elite opposition. Perhaps that's just one of the teething problems with a young side that will take 3–4 years to iron out. Also, how good was it to have Mitchell Lewis back? He should have converted those behinds into goals as he is a star, but his marking and ability to bring it to ground are irreplaceable. He is our most important player. I am still very perplexed as to why we dropped DGB. He has played well and would have done better today than Weddle. If we're playing Weddle, he should be playing as a halfback, in my opinion. I'd very heavily contemplate dropping CJ for DGB and playing Weddle in CJ's role. We should also send Morrison back to Box Hill.

Did not use it well when it was needed. He is allowed to be a bit rusty. We are so much better when he is in the team.

Don’t start me on Morrison. CJ is not taking the ball cleanly.

CJ's ball handling has been an issue since last year. He's simply not clean below his knees.

It's a real issue having a defender so fumbly, you can't roll with that once we start playing actual high pressure games and finals.

It's also why Mitchell getting subbed was so odd, he's looked incredibly composed in the back half. And has the line breaking ability late in games as he showed against the crows.

Last edited:
I was laughing really hard when the bulldogs supporter around me abusing umpire for lack of calls going their way. I was looking at the stats and they're winning the free kicks count.

They're seriously the last team to complain about throwing. Well They're the worst offenders for that. Their flag wins because of that.

Okay enough about the doggies. I was hoping to see run and dash from Weddle but not seeing that for most of the game. Looks like Rama need to go back to VFL and learn more. He'll learn alot from tonight.

Welcome back Mitch Lewis, yes you're missing some "easy" set shot, but the forward line looks so much better when you're there.

I love Karl Amon game again tonight. Okay will watch VFL tomorrow to see DGB's performance.

Was happy with todays game, we’re slowly building something special.
2 new kids again in Waddle and Ramsden along with the other kids really giving a red hot go!
This is all we can ask of a young bunch of kids.
Once Tassie comes in stealing all those draft picks we are lucky we got all these kids early!

Didn’t stop Liam Shiels from playing in our team for about 12 years

Liam Shiels was a very under rated cog in that Hawthorn side and deserved a little more respect from supporters like yourself

You always knew when he wasn’t playing. A little like Brad Sewell

lots of positives again, Day, Lewis and Nash

negatives just not taking advantage when we are on top - think we lost the game by the same amount as we should have been up by at 1/2 time had we taken our opportunities.

dont get me started on Wingard should have been subbed out and pretty sure majority of Hawk supporters would also be frustrated with him, just seems to have no confidence 🤷🏻‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back