Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been asked to do one of the hardest jobs in footy whilst the 3 other 'smalls' in the backline are there for their playmaking abilities over their defending.

Funny thing about Stock is that he is a real leader/very focal on the training track. His kicking WHEN ON is among the best at the club. Seriously penetrative and bullet like and can absolutely roost it. The issue with him is consistency with the kicking under pressure, which is high due to the fact he has to play so defensively thanks to Jimmy.
Overwhelmed last night was the Stock. Dropped sitters, missed crucial handballs, outplayed. He kept going, to his credit. His second and third efforts after fumbles were good, but alas, PA were off and away.

And let’s be clear folks. We got smashed. PA kicked atrociously and could have buried us. They gave us a golden platter. Then, as if that wasn’t enough, they were hit by injuries. We got that nice run of three goals in the third, we tried hard, we are super fit, and the coach knows how to clog things up. Not much else to write about.

It's an absolutely bizzare thought.

You could actually classify the next 6 games as "winable"

If....we lose no more troops....and keep getting others back.
Melbournes not really winnable, not by any metric based on form and personel

I feel like we're saying this every week though.

Kicking 60 pts a game doesn't give us the clear air to tolerate mistakes like that, which then magnifies the errors and probably ramps up the perceived pressure on the players.

Tbh this feels like 2007/8 era where every week was a slog whilst the team were learning, until the Ross way eventually started paying dividends. Difference being the quality of a grade talent he has at his disposal now is lacking compared to then

Is why I hate Membrey as our FF, as he's a stop and prop forward hence dump kicks on his head as a norm that translates to dump kicks for all. There's a lot to be said about we need mids, but we also need those we can kick to and until someone like Keeler comes on to be that CHF bridge, we're kind of stuck with;

Membrey - stop and prop.
Sharman - waft in from the side.
Ming - get 3x teamed as the only competent KPF that can contest.
Higgins - tries to play 4 players games and only succeeds at maybe 2.
Owens - can mark, can barely kick a set shot.
Butler - is there to "guard space" and keep the ball I50.

None of that instills confidence in the mids to propel forward, then we go "we suck at rewarding I50, but we get it in there enough, if we just..." nope. It's why Hayes makes it look more dynamic as he moves and presents, it's why we hit up Higgins when on a bloke 3x his height as they hit up at the carrier instead of plant the thumb and yell.

So we need to get away from essentially carrying a Sharman sub and having Membrey at the same time to have a more dynamic forward half where we just aren't dump kicking to only two blokes that lead up at the carrier or we're not really firing a shot to win games for mine.

Overwhelmed last night was the Stock. Dropped sitters, missed crucial handballs, outplayed. He kept going, to his credit. His second and third efforts after fumbles were good, but alas, PA were off and away.

And let’s be clear folks. We got smashed. PA kicked atrociously and could have buried us. They gave us a golden platter. Then, as if that wasn’t enough, they were hit by injuries. We got that nice run of three goals in the third, we tried hard, we are super fit, and the coach knows how to clog things up. Not much else to write about.

Stood JHF at stoppage from the start did Stock, played a bit like Gears & DMac game where in mid, hard push back and support small forwards that Paton kind of failed at before he broke his leg and why we then went and got Hastie. Stock is least of problems with inconsistency, those around him need to step up a bit as he's straight sacrificing and getting let down mostly.

Membrey looks cooked tbh
Very very sad but it does at this point look that way.

He had a shocker last night.

Dropping marks and that vertical "jack in the box" seems to now be alluding him.

Here's hoping it's only a "blip"

I’m a bit surprised by the volume of negativity in here.
We are playing the kids and that comes with pain, but it’s the only way to build a top 4 list.
Ratts and Cho never did it and that’s part of the reason (along with list management and development) that we are starting a rebuild now after 10 years.
Ross’s ugly game plan is to make us competitive while our list isn’t currently.

I see steps forward every game, individual performance of the kids is slowly improving.

Also noting, Wilson was asked who he looked up to in the club and he said windy and Owans…. That should tell everyone the timeline we are in for…. Think we’ll need 4 or 5 years, but the kids will be the inspirational leaders… but right now they are kids.

Really wish you didn't have that profile picture, very disturbing & not funny.
It does raise very serious questions,but I get a good laugh everytime I see it.

It does have slight serial killer vibes to it....but....carry on !!!!!!!

:) :)

Pou may need a spell but, again, he showed some signs of brilliance last night.

Two plays in particular where his hands were sublime in traffic - gathered cleanly, spun, made the right decision, and handballed perfectly to a running player. All things which VERY few of our players do. Both resulted in goals.

He’s a kid with a kid’s body. He’ll get there.
He also shat the bed and gave an unnecessary handball to a flat footed player who was promptly tackled for a turnover 3 times at half forward.

Here's hoping these are just mistakes from an inexperienced player but realistically he's been a liability for 12 months. I really, really hope he develops into a gun but my doubt is growing by the week.

Port didn’t finish last though JHF just opted in. As did Dixon and Sweet and Esava and Aliir and Rioli and Zerk-Thatcher.

Port have recruited well, but there can be no doubt they know how to attract talent.

I can’t live in hope that one day last years number one draft pick will just choose us. My hope is already stretched out to the max.

Apart from JHF and Rioli most of the other talent is just middling stuff like Butler, Howard and Snags. A few have potential for more but they weren't blue chip trades. I rate Port, they've been brave with trading and recruiting and always trying to improve by playing youth.

Butters, Rozee are just good trades but they let talent go to roll the dice. Wingard, Polec, Amon etc were all best 22 when they let them walk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We definitely miss that type of players right now. Would make us so much more competitive up forward and help turn average inside 50s into scoring opportunities.

Collard needs to come on fast. As good as Butler is he's quite B grade and we need to double up on those small goal sneaks. most premiership sides in the last 5 years have had an elite performance from a small forward that year. Kosi Pickett, Shai Bolton, Bobby Hill, Stengle etc.

Expected a pantsing and after the first couple of minutes with turnovers and horrible skills on display expected it to be worse than first thought.
Poor goal kicking and injuries to Port helped immensely but they also got a heap of cheap goals from questionable free kicks/decisions so swings and roundabouts on that front I suppose.
Feels like we say this every single year; our skills are deplorable and we desperately need a midfielder of a higher caliber than a solid B.
Except for the dogs game the game-plan somehow seems to work??? They've all been very close loses with an extremely inexperienced team that hasn't played a lot of footy together.
I know it's not attractive to watch but keeping it close would build belief - and I seem to recall this dour, defensive approach happening in the years leading up to '09 and 10?

Get some soldiers back (not sure how Roma will be managed but he needs relief) and hit the ground hard against a stretch of winnable games and get to the break there or there abouts.Saints

We've been here before, let's find out what RTB can do different.
The Roars Tim Phillips? I reckon wrote a good article about the Saints game style this year.

Said many times, our problem is we can’t win the ball in contest CLEANLY,
for this to happen you need a 3-4 mids who can win contests consistently and cleanly then break forward.

This is purely a result of our lack of A graders - it is a cumulative effect. Look at Pies for example, Daicos or De Goey go to the contest and are at least 50/50 to win the ball...teammates have the confidence to break away and make space. Look at St Kilda, Byrne or Windy or Pou or Owens go to the contest and they are 40/60 to win the ball...teammates go to the ball with them to assist. They congest. They are always working in a phone box.

This is what a lot of people miss about the impact of having elite mids...it is not just about winning the ball, it is about allowing your team mates to have the confidence to run forward and spread.

Wasn't there a tweet the other day with Steele and King in talks with the medicos at training and the usual suspects discounted it fully?
Might actually be more to it. And if he is injured and we're playing him still then we reap what we sow. The era of playing blokes well below their physical best is over. If you're off by even 5% physically fit wise you are screwed.

We have no-one left. Windhager has played a handful of games as a mid. Jones looks done, Seb looks done, Crouch is down, Dow is down, Henry is Down. Take Steele out and it's Hugo Garcia and Windy against JHF, Wines, Boak, Butters, Rozee etc.

We will generally be at the bottom end for attracting players as we can't compete with the big VIC clubs, so we must draft. Not many big name players are falling over themselves to live in Cheltenham either.

You have to give the perception of improvement at least to attract players. We need to build the foundations before we buy the bricks this time.

Rather than sort out our ongoing issues with tackling, uncontested turnovers etc etc. last night I was in dismay that we’ve added a new foible, our kick ins were absolutely atrocious.

Is why I hate Membrey as our FF, as he's a stop and prop forward hence dump kicks on his head as a norm that translates to dump kicks for all. There's a lot to be said about we need mids, but we also need those we can kick to and until someone like Keeler comes on to be that CHF bridge, we're kind of stuck with;

Membrey - stop and prop.
Sharman - waft in from the side.
Ming - get 3x teamed as the only competent KPF that can contest.
Higgins - tries to play 4 players games and only succeeds at maybe 2.
Owens - can mark, can barely kick a set shot.
Butler - is there to "guard space" and keep the ball I50.

None of that instills confidence in the mids to propel forward, then we go "we suck at rewarding I50, but we get it in there enough, if we just..." nope. It's why Hayes makes it look more dynamic as he moves and presents, it's why we hit up Higgins when on a bloke 3x his height as they hit up at the carrier instead of plant the thumb and yell.

So we need to get away from essentially carrying a Sharman sub and having Membrey at the same time to have a more dynamic forward half where we just aren't dump kicking to only two blokes that lead up at the carrier or we're not really firing a shot to win games for mine.

Stood JHF at stoppage from the start did Stock, played a bit like Gears & DMac game where in mid, hard push back and support small forwards that Paton kind of failed at before he broke his leg and why we then went and got Hastie. Stock is least of problems with inconsistency, those around him need to step up a bit as he's straight sacrificing and getting let down mostly.
Agree with most said, but how you can defend Stocker & blame others is beyond me. The guy dropped two sitters & looked uncomposed. And I'll say it again, is too slow to play on oppo small forwards. Battle, Nas, Sincs, Wilkie our consistently good backman, need to find two players to go with them. Bonner & Stocker aren't composed enough & keep hurting us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back