Round 8 COLLINGWOOD VS GEELONG

Remove this Banner Ad

...if EVER??? Try last year, sunshine!

Hawthorn lost 3 of their first 5 games, 4 out of the first 9 in 2012. I think they scrapped into the top 4 at the end of the season. ...What? They actually finished on top? That can't be true!

Yep, fair enough. Rare occasion though. Your teams worst is still very, very poor this year though. To me, your form suggests that top 4 will take a big turnaround, if you can do it then all the power to you.

By the way, what is it with Pies calling everyone 'sunshine'?

Seems a very hostile thread after what I thought was a pretty good game. Why the animosity?

Pies played well, they won and deserved the victory.

Agree. Some sooky Geelong supporters trying to justify they're offended at a loss however they can and ungracious Pies supporters intent on rubbing their noses in it.
Cracker of a game and 4 points in the bank for mine.

I had a bad feeling about this game, i thought Geelong would lose, they were overdue and typically they only played for 1 QTR. You can't expect to win against top opposition if you play like that. Both teams had injuries, but the Johnson withdrawal put the stamp on it for me. I think Geelong were lucky to get that close in the finish. I put it down to the Pies lifting more for the Cats than anyone else, it's similar to the Cats and Hawks. I also believe Geelong do not match up with Collingwood at all well, the loss of Taylor Hunt and Kelly were crucial. It's no drama really, the Cats have Port, Suns and GWS in the next 3 weeks, they should rebound well from this loss. The Pies played above themselves IMO and have the Swans and then the Lions at the Gabba in coming weeks, i reckon they might lose both? Chris Scott has some work to do, this was a very disappointing result, the inconsistency during matches is a real worry especially as the Hawks are improving each week, but i guess you can't stay up forever. I do not want to play Collingwood again as they have the Cats measure, i am more confident playing Hawthorn than Collingwood. Just one of those anomalies in football.

Cats had 10 players under 50 games, West is on the cusp (48), then Christenson on 43.

Pies had 8 under 50 games, Macaffer highest at 36, Elliott on 22

Two pretty decent young lists quietly being put together.
Numbers of players to have played under 20 games.
Collingwood (6)
Geelong (4)

;)

But yeah, both sides are building well for not only this year, but the next five.

Yep, fair enough. Rare occasion though. Your teams worst is still very, very poor this year though. To me, your form suggests that top 4 will take a big turnaround, if you can do it then all the power to you.

Geelong were 2-3 after 5 round in 2007. Collingwood played some poor games early in 2010. Don't think it's that rare. We've got work to do, but we took some positive steps last night.

To my mind the Cats are absolutely flying and are the best team going around. Great senior blokes and their kids are tremendous but they play a high risk game and I just thought with a few out (like we had) we were a rough chance to cause the upset if we could jump them. I think an interesting question is will the Cats game plan stand up to a Freo / Swans type pressure in finals footy.

Frankly bar one qtr we were all over them and our problems in the 3rd were largely due to some appalling umpiring (which happened in the first half as well) as well as some pretty ordinary efforts by one of our mids but let me tell you 4 that were horrendous;

• Enright play on. I mean that is just embarrassing. Dont tell me the Krak one was the same - he was on his mark as they commentators said.
  • Podsially slides into one of our blokes whose on his feet and he gets a free for to high. I havent seen that paid all year bc its not a free kick
  • Podisally push outs......how many times did he do it? I watched them on replay and slowly and if those arms arent extended then I cant see
  • Free kick paid against Jolly in the marking contest. What was that.....commentators couldnt figure it out either.
The umpiring scolding of harry was also pretty average. Thats just footy and it aint the umps job to tell him to stop getting into a bloke. I have never seen that before and just wonder if Selwood is a pet favourite.

I dont usually complain about umpiring (particularly when we lose) but something has to be done bc its awful and frustrating.

Anyway I think the loss wont be bad for Cats but I really wonder how their plan will stand up in finals. Be interesting.

Geel play a brand of football that has no chance of standing up against the best in sept. good sides will score heavily against the cats in September

Thankfully, there are 14 rnds left till the finals. Hopefully, Chris Scott can go to school on the Buckley gameplan that stands up in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...if EVER??? Try last year, sunshine!

Hawthorn lost 3 of their first 5 games, 4 out of the first 9 in 2012. I think they scrapped into the top 4 at the end of the season. ...What? They actually finished on top? That can't be true!
Pies lost 3 out of the first 7 in 1990 too and we all know how that turned out.

It's hardly rare, Sydney 2006, Geelong 2007, St Kilda 2008...it actually happens quite often with the way the draw is set up.

Anyway I think the loss wont be bad for Cats but I really wonder how their plan will stand up in finals. Be interesting.

Their 'plan'?

Go and watch Chris Scott's press conference. He was unhappy with the performance and said he'd be the same if we'd won by 6 points. He's said the same after many of our wins too! They've been trying to address the slow starts / allowing opposition significant leads etc, but obviously the winning form has meant that nothings changed. Why would they plan to play like this? Of course they don't.

In reality, Geelong has been playing similar for years. They so very rarely put in 4 quarter performances, I'm trying hard to recall the last one that was even close. Sydney game this year is the only consistent game we've played. You could argue that when we click into gear, we'll be even more of a handful.

Always thought Geelong supporters only embarrass themselves when they win but after reading the last few pages of this thread I can see this isn't the case.

certainly won't be anything like we have seen the first 8 rounds. That type of footy simply does not win you finals footy where one quarter can be the difference between a quick exit or not.

Like Collingwood, Geelong will have a multiple game styles which will be used from now until September.
Depending on injuries, only personnel will dictate how successful these changes will pan out.

I had a bad feeling about this game, i thought Geelong would lose, they were overdue and typically they only played for 1 QTR. You can't expect to win against top opposition if you play like that. Both teams had injuries, but the Johnson withdrawal put the stamp on it for me. I think Geelong were lucky to get that close in the finish. I put it down to the Pies lifting more for the Cats than anyone else, it's similar to the Cats and Hawks. I also believe Geelong do not match up with Collingwood at all well, the loss of Taylor Hunt and Kelly were crucial. It's no drama really, the Cats have Port, Suns and GWS in the next 3 weeks, they should rebound well from this loss. The Pies played above themselves IMO and have the Swans and then the Lions at the Gabba in coming weeks, i reckon they might lose both? Chris Scott has some work to do, this was a very disappointing result, the inconsistency during matches is a real worry especially as the Hawks are improving each week, but i guess you can't stay up forever. I do not want to play Collingwood again as they have the Cats measure, i am more confident playing Hawthorn than Collingwood. Just one of those anomalies in football.
I'm sorry, I'll accept that you've attempted to be gracious in defeat but that's just insulting. Both of our clubs have had personnel issues and ours have been sustained since last season meaning that we've been without up to 9 or 10 best 22 players (based on the last few years) at times this year. Our side has been playing very poorly for the most part and based on that I guess you could say we played above 2013 form but we are gradually getting a bit of talent on the park and despite the apparent low stats, even Bucks will tell you that what Ball brings to the side is irreplaceable. Some of those who have returned, like Krakouer and Macaffer are only starting to get back to form and fitness now and I'd expect the side to gradually improve over the season as players like Thomas, Keeffe and Beams return. Most Collingwood supporters would tell you that we've played well below ourselves to date.

In any case, well played to both sides. It was an entertaining game as usual and full respect to the cats for their fantastic comeback in the 3rd.

I'm sorry, I'll accept that you've attempted to be gracious in defeat but that's just insulting. Both of our clubs have had personnel issues and ours have been sustained since last season meaning that we've been without up to 9 or 10 best 22 players (based on the last few years) at times this year. Our side has been playing very poorly for the most part and based on that I guess you could say we played above 2013 form but we are gradually getting a bit of talent on the park and despite the apparent low stats, even Bucks will tell you that what Ball brings to the side is irreplaceable. Some of those who have returned, like Krakouer and Macaffer are only starting to get back to form and fitness now and I'd expect the side to gradually improve over the season as players like Thomas, Keeffe and Beams return. Most Collingwood supporters would tell you that we've played well below ourselves to date.

In any case, well played to both sides. It was an entertaining game as usual and full respect to the cats for their fantastic comeback in the 3rd.
The Pies lifted for the Geelong game and caught the Cats at the perfect time, the Johnson withdrawal is worth 4 goals to Geelong every day of the week and the Pies have been crap for weeks. Don't be insulted, it's just an observation and the Pies lifted well beyond what they have shown this year as far as form is concerned. They won't find the the Sydney defence as slack as the Cats were next week. Geelong are realistically a 4th or 5th best side, our ladder position currently flatters us due to some lucky wins and their inconsistency during games finally caught up with them. I'm not that confident they can beat Port next week. Collingwood will be battling Geelong for that coveted 4th position for the rest of the year.

The Pies lifted for the Geelong game and caught the Cats at the perfect time, the Johnson withdrawal is worth 4 goals to Geelong every day of the week and the Pies have been crap for weeks. Don't be insulted, it's just an observation and the Pies lifted well beyond what they have shown this year as far as form is concerned. They won't find the the Sydney defence as slack as the Cats were next week. Geelong are realistically a 4th or 5th best side, our ladder position currently flatters us due to some lucky wins and their inconsistency during games finally caught up with them. I'm not that confident they can beat Port next week. Collingwood will be battling Geelong for that coveted 4th position for the rest of the year.
As I already stated, based on this year's performance to date it was above what you'd expect but I'm pretty sure most supporters would agree it's still well below what we expect of the side this year. Collingwood lifted because they have been improving gradually as senior players have started to filter back into the side and get some fitness and form and the expectation is that this trend should continue. Whatever spin you want to put on it, it's a backhanded compliment to suggest they played above themselves when Collingwood supporters would know full well that it's still well below expectations and if I wanted to take your line I could easily name players that we lost who would have had just as significant effect on our side so I totally discount your comment about Johnson.

You don't insult us, you patronize us, which is worse, and just in case....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061101234547AAiTrUN

As I already stated, based on this year's performance to date it was above what you'd expect but I'm pretty sure most supporters would agree it's still well below what we expect of the side this year. Collingwood lifted because they have been improving gradually as senior players have started to filter back into the side and get some fitness and form and the expectation is that this trend should continue. Whatever spin you want to put on it, it's a backhanded compliment to suggest they played above themselves when Collingwood supporters would know full well that it's still well below expectations and if I wanted to take your line I could easily name players that we lost who would have had just as significant effect on our side so I totally discount your comment about Johnson.
Johnson means 4 goals to Geelong every week, the consensus there would be well above 90% on that one so i wouldn't be discounting Steve Johnson's no appearance that easily. I knew before the game that without him we would struggle, he is the single most important player in the Geelong side.Had he played then the Cats win easily. It's that simple. In the end Geelong didn't deserve to win and their luck ran out, they didn't play 4 quarters and Collingwood got up, but you would have to say that they should've won by a lot more. The Pies were shocking against Freo the previous week and only played one Quarter themselves in that game. Both sides are about even at this stage of the year, the Cats have just as many injuries as Collingwood, but not having Johnson, Chapman, Kelly and T Hunt was a massive blow last weekend. I can't see either side troubling the Hawks this year, i know we have won the last 10 against Hawthorn, but i reckon they will spank us in July!

Johnson means 4 goals to Geelong every week, the consensus there would be well above 90% on that one so i wouldn't be discounting Steve Johnson's no appearance that easily. I knew before the game that without him we would struggle, he is the single most important player in the Geelong side.Had he played then the Cats win easily. It's that simple. In the end Geelong didn't deserve to win and their luck ran out, they didn't play 4 quarters and Collingwood got up, but you would have to say that they should've won by a lot more. The Pies were shocking against Freo the previous week and only played one Quarter themselves in that game. Both sides are about even at this stage of the year, the Cats have just as many injuries as Collingwood, but not having Johnson, Chapman, Kelly and T Hunt was a massive blow last weekend. I can't see either side troubling the Hawks this year, i know we have won the last 10 against Hawthorn, but i reckon they will spank us in July!
As I said, you can spin it your own way if you please but it won't change my opinion on the matter. With the single exception of the 2011 GF, I've rarely seen SJ set the world on fire against the Pies anyway. I believe his return excluding that match over the last 2 years is about 3 goals from 4 matches against us and zero since 2011 so he's probably not one Collingwood would fear overly given we've mostly been able to nullify him.

By contrast with your opinions about your own side I think most Collingwood supporters would believe that with a near full list to choose from, when fit and in form we would go close if not beat the Hawks next time because we were with them for over three quarters with plenty missing last time. At the moment, our most effective forward is having a bit of a shocker patch which he's done before so nobody really expects his returns to remain so low. In fact, in most of the matches where we have lost, had we not wasted so many easy opportunities in front of goal, I'd have thought we should have easily accounted for most of our opponents and yes, we should have beaten the cats by more.

Given the improvement I have already seen and what I see coming, I believe there is no reason that we couldn't finish the year in similar form to 2010 albeit that we may be coming from a little further back in the pack. Of course that's very much speculation and plenty can still happen in the meanwhile but almost to a man, most on our board had agreed before Saturday that if we could come away with 1 from 2 from the Cats and Swans games we are very well placed with who will return over the next month against less challenging opposition. The reality is that we are now an outside chance to come away with 2 from 2 which would be a massive boost ahead of those matches. I personally don't see it unless Cloke can turn around his kicking for goal but having already bagged the 4 points we all hoped for, I'm not overly concerned as long as we don't get smashed and/or suffer further injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 8 COLLINGWOOD VS GEELONG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back