Autopsy Round 8 vs Adelaide Rant Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup, I reckon he has surveyed the surroundings and thought 'you guys aren't going to play for me, I'll go down the drastic line' and he is right too.

I'm sick of Ratten blaming the players. It is plain as day that we are tactically inept and are yet again playing a dated style of football. When we aren't allowed to dictate terms (which no team will allow us to do from here on in), we are utterly toothless and seemingly incapable of stemming the tide.

Our tactical approach is seriously amateurish and I'm not convinced Ratten has any answers in that regard.

Yup, I reckon he has surveyed the surroundings and thought 'you guys aren't going to play for me, I'll go down the drastic line' and he is right too.

I think it will be more about quality, than quantity. The reality is we don't have much to bring in. Send a message to the group that says even if you are a number 1 draft pick, if you don't do the hard team things.. seeya

Make sure you thank the Demons for giving you your confidence back next game.

Blues by 100+

Thats how bad Melbourne are.

I was expecting us to smash GWS, but you could sense early in that week that the coaching staff had already penciled in the win and their comments in the media were arrogant and disrespectful to GWS. In fact we were outplayed by a bunch of kids and a few veterans making up the numbers. They smashed us in the clearances and finally we overcame them in the last quarter when they ran out of legs. We then took this slack attitude to the St.Kilda match and again to the Adelaide game and paid a terrible price.

We rely on a game which is easy to counter and if a few players intensity is lacking then we struggle because the pressure falls on the rest of the group who already have a high workload upon them. A few weeks ago Port Melbourne smashed Preston in the VFL and one commentator stated that if this is what Carlton has as their future then they had better give it up now. Not even the seconds were prepared to put their bodies on the line. What is going on? I get the pmpression someone is blowing sunshine up a number of players ars*s and perhaps they believe they are better than they really are. Get rid of Preston and get Carlton as a stand alone team in the VFL. We have no big forwards who actually have a clue about playing at full forward and rely on Eddie week in and week out.That is the third time i have seen Adelaide treat us like their bitches. This from a team that was supposedly in a rebuilding phase.If we do not make the top 4 this season then it is time for a complete change of coaching staff and list. Getting really fed up with the hype; let's see some passion and intensity on the field.

Do you really think Melbourne would be smelling blood in the water - they are more likely on the smelling salts from being knocked into oblivion every week. Melbourne are on a par with the Giants, we can beat them while still playing crap - I am not cocky (took some of Adelaide 60+) that is just a fact

Missing the point. Not about them, It's about us. Every AFL team can win a game, it's the nature of a two horse race.

Do I think we'll lose. God no.

But what the boys need to hear is that they need to try every game. That nothing is a walk over. Does no one else remember the scare the Giants gave us? It's about the right mindset, not about fearing the opposition, but respecting them enough to put in your best

Not to mention the acknowledgement that we have been carrying some players for a while.

I'd say Jeffy may be in the gun there, out of sorts Duigan, maybe even Gibbs in terms of expectation vs results. Geez, could mean three quarters of the team at present.

Not sure why Garlett is in the gun!

13 touches, 5 marks, 3 tackles and 3 goals. Thought he provided some spark and pressure as well. Not sure what else we expect from him playing one of the tougher roles on the ground.

Well one thing was good to see was Ratten up in the box instead of on the boundary line slapping each player on the butt as they came off for a spell.

No more time for buddy buddy with the team.. be the coach and lead and yell and scream and get them playing like a team again.

Well one thing was good to see was Ratten up in the box instead of on the boundary line slapping each player on the butt as they came off for a spell.

No more time for buddy buddy with the team.. be the coach and lead and yell and scream and get them playing like a team again.

Totally agree :thumbsu:

I am thinking ODN and some of our interstate brothers would not have seen the Saturday VFL on ABC.

The cupboard is bare. Watson got beaten. Lucas hugged the boundary line and the excitement was from kids who have no bodies and not even half a dozen games under their belt.

Because we are only playing Melbourne Ratts (wanting to give a message/ and deflect blame?) will bring in Boots, Buckley (as sub), and should give McLean a go (a poor man's version of AB nowadays LOL but we have no alternative)

Watson and Lucas would be ridiculous
I missed the game also, apart from McLean is there anyone else that can be considered at all??? Despite form can Lucas and Watson offer anything, Watson forward might spark an effort out of him???

Understand what your saying about Bootsma and Buckley but I think a statement needs to be made. I would play them for the next 2 games and get the boys around them, might inspire a new level of excitement and intensity.

Oh and AB, I hope your not re-writing history there...:D;)

13 touches, 5 marks, 3 tackles and 3 goals. Thought he provided some spark and pressure as well. Not sure what else we expect from him playing one of the tougher roles on the ground.

He was one of the very few who could say he played very well.

Was that another sign that pressure might be mounting??

Was that another sign that pressure might be mounting??

For sure... the time has come that perhaps we not only need to analyze and provide feedback directly to the players.. but obviously he (Ratten) needs to assess the overall game and identify what is wrong with our gameplan and how teams are tactically placing their players to destroy us. Bar the GWS game we have had no first year players play this year and so the need to teach on-field during game day has hopefully come to an end for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention the acknowledgement that we have been carrying some players for a while.

I'd say Jeffy may be in the gun there, out of sorts Duigan, maybe even Gibbs in terms of expectation vs results. Geez, could mean three quarters of the team at present.

I think Kreuzer may go as well -either dropped or rested. Call it what you want.

Its not about the gameplan, I believe our gamplan is one that can win a team a flag, our problem is we have not been executing that plan properly.

1). People complain about the press being outdated, but in reality most all teams are doing it, they are just doing it better than us at present. There is only 2 ways you can go, either play the press, or go man-on-man.

If you go man-on-man, then the opposition just huddle in the middle, and then have a couple players break out of the huddle leaving those players with with so much space to run into, so if your own players are sticking by their side 100% (which we seem to be incapable of doing at the moment), then they have the easiest way out of our F50.

The job of the press, is to spread your players out, so that you cover all exits, which means that you have to be prepared to run and push yourself to the limit, something we are not doing at the moment.

2). Our spread and run with our outside players, when we do this properly can cut up any team. But this can only be done properly, if the players are prepared to run and push themselves to their limits, basically be prepared to run off your oppoent when your team has possession, but also be prepared to run back to your opponent when your team loses control of the ball.

Lately we dont utilize our spreading players because on the rare times we win the ball from a stoppage, all we do is quickly and blindly throw the ball on the boot for a quick kick forward, which the opposition can cover with their spare men in defence.

3). We need to utilize our hands out of traffic before we blindly kick, then when we have a metre of space then we can use our spreading and outside players to move the ball forward.

4). Lastly, our kicking into the forward line is currently atrocious. I lost count of how many time Adelaide actually directed a pass to one of their forwards campared to us actually kick long and high to Eddie Betts who was always covered but 2 tallers opponets. Myabe we take a page out of Adelaides book and actually direct a pass to a leading forward.

Also, why most times we went forward, was Kruez or Hampson not parked in the goalsqaure, instead I kept seeing Eddie parked there abouts with 2 tallers players covering him?

I'm sick of Ratten blaming the players. It is plain as day that we are tactically inept and are yet again playing a dated style of football. When we aren't allowed to dictate terms (which no team will allow us to do from here on in), we are utterly toothless and seemingly incapable of stemming the tide.

Our tactical approach is seriously amateurish and I'm not convinced Ratten has any answers in that regard.

Bottom line on any game plan - if you don't have the ball it ain't going to work !!

Agreed long overdue it was annoying last year and apart from every once in awhile popping to cheer and barrack like a 12 year old kid he needs to get his arse into the box.

I got to the end of page 5 before I decided to post my thoughts on the game, and what has been an insipid and pea-hearted effort over the past three weeks.

Where to start, because there are so many cracks in our 22 at the moment.

Firstly, the way we have matched up on the oppostion (Essendon, St.Kilda and Adelaide) has been terrible. I know we got Prendergast from Melbourne to do our opposition analysis, but fair dinkum has this bloke been on holidays for the past month or so? Our matchups have been so far off the mark it is just mind boggling. How anyone thought Gibbs playing on Dangerfield was a good idea is just insane.

And we paid next to no respect to Milera and Saad last week, and the same with Jetta and Davey in the Essendon game.

Secondly, what has happened to our midfield? Aside from Judd, we have been useless. Second to the ball, getting smashed at both contested footy and the clearances, and when we do get the footy, we try and flick it around to create space, and guess what we lose posession.

I really don't know where to turn from here. Maybe Ratts and Co need to change the players' week, and mix it up a bit. Change of venue for training, go to movies, play a round of golf, anything to get them focused on the footy again.

I hope someone recognises the constant distraction to the task at hand and perhaps considers winding it back somewhat so the lads can just feel like footballers again and do the TEAM things.

I've thought about this too but losses might have us jumping at shadows. ..

Wont hurt any of these 3 to be dropped. Duigan and Jeffy were lucky to survive last week!

I wanted Jeffy dropped for the last two weeks but after the weekends game it would be hard to do so. .. (cheers to Feva for pointing it out anyway)

Watson and Lucas would be ridiculous

I didn't think Watson played too badly. .. It seemed to be that the opposition were going to McCarthy's man more often than not as Watson was halving most of the contests I saw him in. .. I'd bring him in for Bower as the third tall but I was asking for this to be tried at the start of the year. ..

Firstly, the way we have matched up on the oppostion (Essendon, St.Kilda and Adelaide) has been terrible. I know we got Prendergast from Melbourne to do our opposition analysis, but fair dinkum has this bloke been on holidays for the past month or so? Our matchups have been so far off the mark it is just mind boggling. How anyone thought Gibbs playing on Dangerfield was a good idea is just insane.

And we paid next to no respect to Milera and Saad last week, and the same with Jetta and Davey in the Essendon game.

Interesting comment and I'm loathe to think anything coming out of Melbourne is valuable at the moment. .. Again shadows are everywhere though. ..

Secondly, what has happened to our midfield? Aside from Judd, we have been useless. Second to the ball, getting smashed at both contested footy and the clearances, and when we do get the footy, we try and flick it around to create space, and guess what we lose posession.

Shows a lack of respect for Murphy, has been leading our CP and Clearances (after Carrots) this year, even since the Essendon game. ..

I got to the end of page 5 before I decided to post my thoughts on the game, and what has been an insipid and pea-hearted effort over the past three weeks.

Where to start, because there are so many cracks in our 22 at the moment.

I really don't know where to turn from here. Maybe Ratts and Co need to change the players' week, and mix it up a bit. Change of venue for training, go to movies, play a round of golf, anything to get them focused on the footy again.
Yep this can work in the short term, another one I think that might switch the teams focus on is the inclusion of a couple of young players like Bootsma and Buckley.

All this talk of Ratten has lost the players, is just complete garbage.

How can you go from being on top of the world after the first 3 rounds, to having lost the players in a month?

Seriously people, Ratts has provided the gameplan, the players arent executing properly.

Remember when Malthouse introduce his gameplan of going wide. Everyone was saying back then that, that was a tactical mistake because why would you not choose the best path and go through the middle.

But Malthouse's men, took that gameplan, and executed properly which meant that they did what they were good at and consequently made grandfinals.

With the size and build of our players, the spread and run gameplan is what suits us best, we just have to get back to doing that which suits us best properly, which means being prepared to bust a gut running in both directions.

Alrighty then, lets get this show moving:

Jeff Garlett on indigenous round prematch
[youtube]gLk2ICPiH1A[/youtube]

Jeffs Genius goal
[youtube]U86yVwY2N9Q[/youtube]

Murphys injury
[youtube]_pO5IruAdO0[/youtube]

General match highlights (as seen on afl.com.au)
[youtube]COe4-gPkoTQ[/youtube]

Carlton extended match highlights reel
[youtube]WYTDva3X2-Y[/youtube]

Brett Ratten full post match press conference
[youtube]euXfgARx7y4[/youtube]

Nick Duigan on Eddie McGuire Tonight
[youtube]cVTWbSJSm1M[/youtube]

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8 vs Adelaide Rant Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back